“More and better than we expected even with all the 5 star reviews”
Review of Apres Tout

Apres Tout
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer luxury barges cruises and wine visits on the Burgundy canal, river Saone, Canal du centre and Canbal rhone Rhin
Reviewed 6 July 2018

The captain and chef are not just friendly and helpful, they are immediately friends. The wine and tour guide is fun, friendly, and knowledgeable. He leads the excursions and introduces the wines at meals, always beginning with a white for the first course and then a red for the main. Fabulous cheese course. Each dish is more delicately flavorful and delectable than the last. Burgundy is more empty than most of France we have visited, the scenery is lovely, and even in late June, the tourists were very few. The locks were great fun, can walk or bike along the towpath. I have paid the same price for a 100 person river cruise and thought that experience was great, but this is another universe of fun, education, leisure, and new friends.

2  Thank Michael K
"trained chef"
"side trips"
"high expectations"
in 2 reviews
"the beautiful french countryside"
"wonderful trip"
in 14 reviews
"itineraries"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 1 July 2018

When I turned 60, my family had an awesome time on Apres Tout. Every minute was incredible. The barge is immaculately maintained, every meal was deliciously prepared by Caroline, going through the locks with Rory was so interesting to watch, all of our excursions were well plan and enjoyed by all. It was six days of total enjoyment for my entire family. We made so many special memories that week. That was two years ago. Now, I am excited about our upcoming trip with friends. The six of us are going on Apres Tout in late September and we can’t wait! It will so wonderful to see Rory, Caroline, Glen, and Cedric. We will miss Hannah, but wish her well as she welcomes her new baby shortly. Marc and I are counting down the days till we are back on board!

2  Thank babyboomlady
Reviewed 18 June 2018

We had really looked forward to our barge cruise in Burgundy, but we had no idea of the wonderful experience we were about to have. The boat is beautiful and in amazing shape. Rory makes going through the locks look so easy! Caroline prepared absolutely delicious meals and was such fun demonstrating for us in the galley. Glen educated us on history, wine and anything else...he is a delight. Cedric and Alana made everything else run effortlessly. We had a great time on and off the boat....so much so that we booked for next year before we left. We can't wait to rejoin this beautiful boat and its warm and welcoming people!

2  Thank barbara m
Reviewed 16 June 2018

I don’t know where to begin with this trip, but suffice it to say it was amazing from start to finish. The crew of this beautiful vessel were so fun, informative and gracious. We had the most interesting side trips during the day and in the evening enjoyed sumptuous dinners and wines fit for a king. Cruising down the canals was so peaceful and beautiful. I will never forget this trip and the lovely crew that made us feel so welcome!

3  Thank Ann S
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 June 2018

My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary aboard 6 dreamy days beginning late May on the Apres Tout. We love the French countryside, outdoor dining, photography, hiking, good conversation, and unique adventures. Before we booked, I researched many barge cruises, which offered similar amenities. I also spoke to a number of barge specialists. In the end, we selected the Apres Tout because in my opinion, they were the best in class. We wanted a combination of natural beauty, physical activity, unique Burgundy tours, gourmet meals -- without a commercial "tie-in" (or what my husband calls the "inevitable visit to the glass blowing factory.") I'm proud to say that we are the first guests to select the Apres Tout based on our own research and TripAdvisor reviews.

From the moment you step aboard, you feel like a cherished guest. The attention to details...oh! It is beyond belief. The oiled teak floors of the deck shine, the drinks are perfectly cold, and the crew's smiles are warm and genuine. Which leads directly to the staff of the Apres Tout. In the end, it's the people who make up any 5-star experience.

Rory the Captain: When you watch him expertly maneuver the barge between tiny locks, interact with the lock-keepers, and hear his delightful stories, you know that this is a man who navigates both his barge and his life with independence, confidence, generosity, and passion. You can't help but admire him.

Caroline the Chef: Whoa...she was simply amazing. The meals were as delicious and beautifully presented as a Paris Michelin restaurant, but more laid-back since dinners are served while gliding on moonlit waterways, serenaded by nightingales and frogs. The portions were rightfully sized, which allowed us to eat many courses (always accompanied by the right wine). I liked her from the start -- so much enthusiasm and fun, such a talent in the kitchen and a truly joyful soul.

Glen the Tour Guide: A classy fellow (and very good driver), Glen squired us around the Burgundian countryside, sharing his enthusiasm of wine, and taking us on unique tours (truffle hunting with dogs was a standout!). I especially enjoyed his insights as a historian. His retelling of French history from the Burgundy region's perspective were fascinating.

June the hostess: I called her a "gingersnap" because she's both sweet and snappy at the same time. She never failed to have the best response to any situation, and always left us laughing. I don't know how she did it, but she was a stealth hostess who anticipated our needs before we did, and tidied up our cabin without us knowing.

Cedric the first mate: Always friendly, hardworking, and helpful, the Apres Tout would not be as sparkling clean without Cedric's cheerful energy.

Unlike many people who book the Apres Tout as a group charter, we did not know the other 2 guests aboard the barge. But we bonded very quickly, through humor and similar values, and found them to be smart, funny, and great company. Together, we shared meals and conversations, while sunlight sparkled on the water, surrounded by green trees and lush fields. They made our experience even more special.

At the end of 6 days, we left the barge feeling relaxed, contemplative, and happy (and already yearning to return).

2  Thank Lisa N