“Great food, horrendous service”
Review of Il Vicolo

Il Vicolo
Ranked #197 of 258 Restaurants in Agrigento
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I found the waiter perfectly charming until I sat down. Once he was assured I was going to eat at this restaurant apparently I was no longer worth his time.
The food was delicious, if a bit pricey (I am backpacking however so my idea of expensive is slightly different to the average traveller). I cannot say enough to assure of the quality of the meal.
Once I had finished, the waiter proceeded to completely ignore me. It was quite early in the evening and quiet at the restaurant so I was happy to wait until another table filled up.
Finally my table was cleared and I was asked if I would like dessert. I said "no thank you" and asked for the bill. This request received a roll of the eyes and some muttering. The waiter then sat a couple of metres away and stared defiantly in the opposite direction. As if this behavior would tempt me to buy dessert! After fifteen minutes of this I asked one of the ladies helping the waiter instead. She was much more polite!
Unfortunately it was an experience where the product did not make up for the experience.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Do not go to this restaurant not even if your life depended on it!

After a lovely evening visiting the Valley of the Temples, we asked the hotel receptionist to call us a taxi to take us to Agrigento centre for dinner since parking at 22:00hrs would have been a nightmare.

When the taxi came, we specifically asked the driver to take us to a "Sicilian restaurant" and not to some touristic joint. We were duly dispatched at "Il Vicolo", which is a charming enough place as the dining area is situated in a terraced alley brightly lit. The place was brimmg with diners and there was no free table in sight but, after a couple of minutes, the manager-owner-whatever conjured (literally) a table from nowhere and added it to the ones which were already in the alley and invited us to have a seat.

As soon as we were seated, we noticed that the diners behind us (an Italian couple) was complaining that the fish served to them was raw. From a cursory look I gave the remains of their fish in their plates, I could indeed confirm that it was undercooked.

Be that as it may, I thought it might be a stroke of ill-luck. It happens even to the most seasoned cook sometimes. So, I just waited - quite patiently - for the delivery of the menus.

Upon opening the menu, I realised that we were in a tourist trap. First of all, there were pictures of the dishes on the menu. As Gordon Ramsay once said, nothing screams horrible cooking more than pictures on the menu. There are exceptions, of course, but this place did not seem to be one of such exceptions.

Anyway, our orders were eventually (after 20 minutes) taken and we settled back to savour what we were still hoping would be a lovely meal. However, we noticed that people were walking out, without even waiting for their mains. Our neighbouring table cancelled their order for mains, left a 50 euro bill on the table and simply walked out. We gathered that their starters were so bad and the wait so long that they just left.

At any rate, after an hour our pasta (first course) had not yet materialised. The manager-owner-whatever, being quite a showman, was, to the point of nausea, apologising continuously but it was useless. Patrons - and we - wanted our meals not apologies.

At any rate, after 75 minutes from placing our orders, the starters finally came. My husband's alla Norma was tasteless. Now, how can anybody get that simple yet normally-bursting-with-flavour dish wrong beats me. My pasta of the house (something Il Vicolo) was without any identity - could have been anything. We had to add copious amounts of grated parmesan to the dishes to make them slightly palatable. Our mains came some 20 minutes later and were okish, something you would expect in some third-rate pub in London and certainly not in Sicily.

We were so let-down that we didn't even accept to be offered a liquor after the meal. We couldn't wait to leave.

So, to sum it up: Slow service, tasteless food and a showman for a manager/owner.

One last thing: on opening the menu, one was greeted by the A4 picture of a "chef" duelling with pasta on a stove and the photo was captioned "Perfekt (sic) pasta". I would re-caption the photo: "Perfekt nightmare". Never ever ever go to this restaurant.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

It was hard to find somewhere open on a Sunday night (which surprised us a bit) but some guests in our hotel had found this, tucked up a steepish side street. We sat outside, the sloping table was unlucky and quie uncomfortable for person on lower side . As mentioned elsewhere only 1 menu between 4, we requested another which was brought grudgingly. The owner seemed surly from then on and service was cursory and hurried, altho' the women staff were very pleasant, almost as if they were compensating for him. My food was very good, swordfish involtini nearly my best food in Sicily, but my 3 friends felt their eexperience spoiled by atmosphere and attitude.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Waiters pay no attention to the clients. Our meal started with one menu ... for 4 people.
The mozarella of our Caprese salad (tomato mozzarella) was not fresh and had a taste of blue cheese.
The Spaghetti carbonara, with poor ham instead of bacon, I don't know what instead of cream ; and no eggs.
There was only 3 tables this evening, fortunately because it takes 45 minutes to get some bad pastas."

Reviewed 9 April 2012

This place was recommended by the owner of my B&B,it's located in an alleyway just off the main street,and close to the B&B.Seating is outdoors,there is a fairly good atmosphere. The welcome was proper.The recommended starter of 'Sedano Il Vicolo' consisted of mozzarella,ricotta,and tomatoes,ok,but nothing special.The involtini of swordfish were nicely done,tasted fresh,and properly seasoned.Ripe,tasty tomatoes were used in the salad, again,no more than one would expect,but good.I liked the fact that they had some half bottles of wine,the Nero d'Avola was good.With an espresso afterwards,the whole dinner was finished in barely an hour,which I found a bit rushed. Although the place was fairly busy,there was always a free table,so no prospective customer would have to be turned away.Although all this cooking was done so quickly, the chef still found time to sit down at my table uninvited, and try and chat me up.Should I be flattered?I wasn't. Imanaged to pay my bill,30Euros,and flee