“The warmest people in Agrigento”
Review of Il Vicolo

Il Vicolo
Ranked #188 of 244 Restaurants in Agrigento
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“The warmest people in Agrigento”
Reviewed 1 December 2012

From the first moment We laid eyes on this restaurant the staff were amazing! We arrived at 9 pm in Agrigento and were waiting for the B&B next door to accept us. the waiters at Il Vicolo offered for us to sit and rest at their tables. later that evening we had a wonderful dinner and after we paid the bill the waiter asked if we would like a bottle of water to take up to our room. for the next few days and nights we were greeted on the street by our neighbours all of the staff at Il Vicolo and given suggestions of where to visit. One evening we got separated from my boyfriend ( with the key to our B&B) and when the staff noticed us sitting on the stairs to the B&B they insisted we sit and have a beverage and wait in comfort. I dare you to find more generous people than these. Please visit Il Vicolo and enjoy!

• Visited October 2012

Madrid, Spain
“Very very good restaurant”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I have being having luch and dinner a few times in this very good and authentic restaurant in Agrigento in autumn 2012. There is very good food, spaguetti con frutti de mare were excellent, as well as other pasta specialities. The owners and staff are very helpfull, nice and they will tell you how to get around and visit the best of the area. The location, in a charming alley of the old town, and the prices: cheap and reasonable, are other plus of this superb place.

• Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in Agrigento”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

You must visit this restaurant, the owners are the friendliest we met on our visit ,the food was vey good and excellent wines. The wine was delicious . We were entertained by Vinchento the little boy from the bed and breakfast next door,because we were English visitors he got out his drums,bubble machine and puppet audit was great. We were made to feel sole commend highly reccomended this restaurant so don't go to Agrigentoand miss this gem!!

Visited September 2012
“Great food, horrendous service”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I found the waiter perfectly charming until I sat down. Once he was assured I was going to eat at this restaurant apparently I was no longer worth his time.
The food was delicious, if a bit pricey (I am backpacking however so my idea of expensive is slightly different to the average traveller). I cannot say enough to assure of the quality of the meal.
Once I had finished, the waiter proceeded to completely ignore me. It was quite early in the evening and quiet at the restaurant so I was happy to wait until another table filled up.
Finally my table was cleared and I was asked if I would like dessert. I said "no thank you" and asked for the bill. This request received a roll of the eyes and some muttering. The waiter then sat a couple of metres away and stared defiantly in the opposite direction. As if this behavior would tempt me to buy dessert! After fifteen minutes of this I asked one of the ladies helping the waiter instead. She was much more polite!
Unfortunately it was an experience where the product did not make up for the experience.

Siggiewi, Malta
“Il Vicolo Cieco - Worst restaurant experience in my 10 times in Sicily, more of a cul-de-sac!”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Do not go to this restaurant not even if your life depended on it!

After a lovely evening visiting the Valley of the Temples, we asked the hotel receptionist to call us a taxi to take us to Agrigento centre for dinner since parking at 22:00hrs would have been a nightmare.

When the taxi came, we specifically asked the driver to take us to a "Sicilian restaurant" and not to some touristic joint. We were duly dispatched at "Il Vicolo", which is a charming enough place as the dining area is situated in a terraced alley brightly lit. The place was brimmg with diners and there was no free table in sight but, after a couple of minutes, the manager-owner-whatever conjured (literally) a table from nowhere and added it to the ones which were already in the alley and invited us to have a seat.

As soon as we were seated, we noticed that the diners behind us (an Italian couple) was complaining that the fish served to them was raw. From a cursory look I gave the remains of their fish in their plates, I could indeed confirm that it was undercooked.

Be that as it may, I thought it might be a stroke of ill-luck. It happens even to the most seasoned cook sometimes. So, I just waited - quite patiently - for the delivery of the menus.

Upon opening the menu, I realised that we were in a tourist trap. First of all, there were pictures of the dishes on the menu. As Gordon Ramsay once said, nothing screams horrible cooking more than pictures on the menu. There are exceptions, of course, but this place did not seem to be one of such exceptions.

Anyway, our orders were eventually (after 20 minutes) taken and we settled back to savour what we were still hoping would be a lovely meal. However, we noticed that people were walking out, without even waiting for their mains. Our neighbouring table cancelled their order for mains, left a 50 euro bill on the table and simply walked out. We gathered that their starters were so bad and the wait so long that they just left.

At any rate, after an hour our pasta (first course) had not yet materialised. The manager-owner-whatever, being quite a showman, was, to the point of nausea, apologising continuously but it was useless. Patrons - and we - wanted our meals not apologies.

At any rate, after 75 minutes from placing our orders, the starters finally came. My husband's alla Norma was tasteless. Now, how can anybody get that simple yet normally-bursting-with-flavour dish wrong beats me. My pasta of the house (something Il Vicolo) was without any identity - could have been anything. We had to add copious amounts of grated parmesan to the dishes to make them slightly palatable. Our mains came some 20 minutes later and were okish, something you would expect in some third-rate pub in London and certainly not in Sicily.

We were so let-down that we didn't even accept to be offered a liquor after the meal. We couldn't wait to leave.

So, to sum it up: Slow service, tasteless food and a showman for a manager/owner.

One last thing: on opening the menu, one was greeted by the A4 picture of a "chef" duelling with pasta on a stove and the photo was captioned "Perfekt (sic) pasta". I would re-caption the photo: "Perfekt nightmare". Never ever ever go to this restaurant.

• Visited August 2012