“Great atmosphere, view, food and service”
Review of Il Re di Girgenti

Il Re di Girgenti
Ranked #8 of 253 Restaurants in Agrigento
Price range: US$24 - US$61
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Ristorante recentemente ristrutturato, offre alla propria clientela una vista stupenda sulla valle dei templi di agrigento. Presso il nostro ristorante potrete gustare la classica cucina siciliana rivisitata in chiave moderna.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere, view, food and service”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I went there on a special occasion with my wife. I've to say we really enjoyed our meals in front of the lit temples. The restaurant is very well furnished and the staff very courteous. We had a nice bottle of wine to accompany our dinner which was excellent. I'd highly recommend the maccheroncini al gambero rosso e datterini!
If you are looking for a great romantic dinner in Agrigento, this is the place to go!

• Visited July 2014

• Greek first
  • Slovak first
Island of Gozo, Malta
“Tasty food whilst enjoying a panoramic view”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We enjoyed lunch at this restaurant and were there just after noon so we were lucky to have the place to ourselves as locals seem to have lunch later! We had spaghetti with sea urchin sauce which was really tasty. The service was good although I would have expected to be more looked after in such a classy place.

• Visited June 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
“Food was tasty... Service did not match price.”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

When you pay a certain amount for a meal, you expect a certain amount of service. I really enjoined the taste of my food, the dishes were well prepared and the pasta was cooked well. Everything had plenty of salt, almost over salted to my taste... But as the place got full, the service got extremely poor. I am used to different staff comming to my table to see if I needed anything, but each of them continued to forget to bring it. Finally after dolci dishes were taken away, we sat for about 25 min and finally gave up on cafe. Could not get anyone's attention to request the bill.... We just got up and went to the registrar.

If I was a local, I would give this place another try. But if this is a one night stay near the Valley of the Temples, I would try another place.... The view was not worth the hassles.

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Memorable food with the best view ever”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Before I checked it out on Trip Advisor, I had a good feeling about this place. We'd hiked by the day before while exploring the valley of the temples. After days of mostly disappointing food experiences, this place had the feel of something special. Modern, innovative menu, Michelin guide listing in the window, filled with locals, including suited business men finishing a long working lunch. It had all the signs of a "proper" restaurant. Rather remarkable given its location looking over a gorgeous valley, the Med, and a string of some of the best preserved Greek temples in the world.

We tried for dinner that night but they were closed for a private party. We had time to kill in Agrigento today so we went back for lunch. Good choice.

This is Italian fine dining, but in a casual atmosphere. Traditional ingredients and combinations, but with modern flare in presentation and some little surprises. (I originally rated it a 4 based on some less than perfect seasoning. We're rather serious foodies and we thought some of the flavours were just a tad off. But, frankly, we've had a lot of really average food in Sicily so I'm being less picky with my scoring to try to raise this place above the pizza and pasta joints!)

They bring out glasses of prosecco and little squares of fried chickpea flour to get you started. Amazing what proper spicing can do to a peasant staple.

We shared an antipasto of swordfish carpaccio, marinated in a sharp olive oil, with a mound of rocket and very fresh ricotta in the centre, dusted with pistachio. This was the stand-out dish of the meal and I'd go back for it alone. Amazing. And absolutely local because even if money were no object you'd never get fresh swordfish like that in London.

My husband found his squash-filled ravioli with zucchini underwhelming; the menu promised a take on carbonara but there was no pork flavour. I, however, hit the ball out of the park with a black pork pappardelle studded with sweet yet spicy black pepper. My main was a red tuna loin rolled in sesame seeds served with chard fried down with tomatoes. On its own the fish was too highly seasoned but with the veg it balanced out. My husband had that same black pork but with a beetroot sauce. Wonderfully tender.

We were far too stuffed to have dessert, though I would have loved to have seen their interpretation of the classics.

This would have been a memorable meal in a featureless dining room. But we had it sitting on a covered veranda, gauzy curtains fluttering in the wind, Ancient Greek temples and bright blue sea laid out before us. The waiter brought binoculars to further our enjoyment.

There are TWO things you need to experience in Agrigento. The temples, and this restaurant. Don't miss it!

Visited May 2014
Brighton
“Excellent restaurant and superb views”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We enjoyed a memorable and extremely enjoyable meal on the terrace at the "Re di Girgenti" after our first look at the temples and before going back for another look at the eastern zone of the Valley of the Temples. Excellent antipasti and my husband had one of the best pasta dishes of our trip to Sicily.

• Visited April 2014