The reviews for hotels in Agrigento are so mixed that I was really ambivalent about choosing were to stay. After much agonising I settled on Colleverde hotel and had quite average expectations. I have to say though I was pleasantly surprised.
It has a great location, just an easy 1.3km down hill walk to the Valley of Temples and free parking on site. When we arrived our room was not ready but the reception staff were really helpful and suggested going to the trattoria dei templi across the road for lunch in the interim. The food was great and well priced for a tourist town (mushroom risotto fabulous - not too creamy but full of flavour). After lunch we returned to check in and were able to utilise their free internet computer in the lobby.
The twin bedded room was on the small size, but perfectly adequate. We had an uninspired view of the car park. There were roller shutters on the window which helped to block out the light early in the morning (always appreciated when on holiday). The bathroom was adequate - like all european hotels valuable space is taken up by bidets. But there was still enough space to dry yourself after the shower which was over the bath tub.
We walked into the old town for dinner. In hindsight we probably should have driven or caught the bus but we didn't appreciate from the map just how far away (and up hill) it was. Once we got there we walked right through the town to the other side to find the restaurant recommended by the helpful reception staff. Ex-Pacificio certainly didn't disappoint. The ambience was rustic, food fresh and tasty and couldn't resist the cannolis for dessert. After the up hill trek I felt I could justify the calories!
Breakfast was ordinary compared to some of the others we experienced in Sicily but still tasty and filling. I think this was quite a good place to stay for it's convenience to the Temples ... in terms of value - it was one of the more expensive places we stayed, but I think this reflects its location and the fact that this is on the tour bus route.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in a lush park overlooking the Valley of the Temples and the sea, the Colleverde Park Hotel welcomes guests with a calm and elegant atmosphere. Just a few minutes from the historic centre and the archaeological area, and only 6 km from the beaches. Colleverde Park Hotel is a place where one can contemplate a landscape that embraces nature, sea and culture. Immersed in a lush park overlooking the Valley of the Temples and the sea, the Colleverde Park Hotel is ready to welcome you into its calm and elegant atmosphere. This historic dependance of the first Jolly Hotel of Agrigento was bought and renovated by the Sinatra family and over the years has become the Colleverde Park Hotel; a modern and comfortable four star hotel successfully combining the traditional tastes and the advantages of innovation. The cozy and elegant hall, embellished by fine 19th Century Sicilian ceramics and furniture offers a Wi-Fi area for high speed wireless internet connection. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Colleverde Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Colleverde Park Agrigento
- Hotel Colleverde Park
- Colleverde Park Hotel Agrigento, Sicily