“Cheers!”

Ranked #22 of 178 Restaurants in Alassio
Price range: US$24 - US$60
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Newly renovated room with an open kitchen to offer a menu of territory, combining tradition and creativity.
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Over the years, we have tried most every restaurant in Alassio. Now that we have been here twice, Papei da Turta will be on our regular list. In a town that necessarily caters to a lot of tourists, it is good to know a place that has more of a local flavor. The welcome is warm and sincere, the food is very good and the atmosphere simple and relaxing.

It is artichoke season, and their fried artichokes are excellent. From steak to fish, pasta and desserts you will eat well and at very fair prices. The customers are as likely to be having beer as wine, and both tastes are well served.

Alassio is our favorite town in all of Liguria. We now have one more reason to appreciate it. How can you not like a place named after a poem in the Ligurian dialect by a local poet; one with tastefully selected art work on the walls and a hard working family/crew that makes you fell right at home. As with our legendary Boston bar, this is a place where (eventually) everyone knows your name.

There are newer reviews for Papei da Turta

Reviewed 24 January 2013

One has to be favorably disposed to a little informal place named after a poem by a local poet in the Ligurian dialect. We are glad we tried this attractive and atmospheric trattoria in an ancient building on a Vico meandering off the caruggi in the heart of Alassio. We have walked past the outdoor blackboard menu many times. It has always offered a nice variety of simple Ligurian soul food. We now know that they do know what they are doing, and we look forward to being regulars.

My wife and I shared an appetizer of lightly fried artichokes-this is prime season for them, and they were quite good. Two mains, liver and onions, and fried anchovies were simply and correctly prepared. The wine list is short, but offers a fair selection and reasonable prices for a modest place. Desserts, a panna cotta and tiramisu were both fine, although possibly commercially prepared.

Reminiscent of an old sailor's tavern, spotlessly clean and with a warm ambiance, including some local art works, it was a perfect place to duck in on a cold winter's night. Kudos for the hard working and pleasant proprietors.

Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

This restaurant was every bit as good as advertised. We tried some different foods and everything was delicious, including dessert and salad (latter was not on the menu but was made just for us). Service and value were great!

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Service was very good and local beers was nice with good meal in Papae da Turta. Atmosphere was nice. It is really worth of trying.

ps. Restaurant oppens at 7:30pm and it is quite small so be on time not to miss it ;)

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I can't say enough about the wonderful service we had at Papei da Turta. I was in the mood for a salad as an appetizer, but they did not have one on the menu that day, but they made me a perfect salad of tomatoes and artichokes. We also ordered the Bra sausage tartare which was wonderful and the server brought over an explanation of this delicacy on his ipad because we (unfortunately) do not speak Italian. I appreciated the dish even more once I knew the history of Bra sausage. The focaccia was the best we had during our trip in Italy. The server also brought over some farinata for us to try, which was such a treat- I still can't believe something could be so delicious with just flour, water, salt and pepper. For an entree, I had the fritti misti- fried seafood- and I was very impressed by the variety and amount of seafood. My husband had the linguini with clams which was perfect and the clams were so flavorful. We enjoyed every minute of our experience, especially when we heard the cooks singing from the kitchen- I guess a happy kitchen makes a happy restaurant!

1  Thank Tay0