“Great location and hospitality”
Review of Hotel L'Approdo

Hotel L'Approdo
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Anzio
Teddington, United Kingdom
“Great location and hospitality”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

A party of 11 elderly men (5 over 80) stayed here for I night during our trip to look at the Anzio beaches and terrain for the WW2 invasion. It was perfect for our purpose, and would be for all sorts of parties, or couples, or families.

It is right on the seafront just a little way out of the town. All rooms were newly refurbished and those in the front had excellent balconies, overlooking the sea. Rooms at the back could avail themselves of a neat communal balcony too. There was a rooftop pool area that was under refurbishment but will be wonderful when completed.

Extremely friendly reception from the owner and his family. They did all they could to make us feel wanted and comfortable. Breakfast room was light and airy and food itself good. They do not have a restaurant for dinner but recommended a restaurant, Antiche Richette [qv for my review] which was outstanding and walkable distance.

Highly recommended by all 11 of us. Thanks for being so hospitable.

Room Tip: Front rooms have lovely balconies, but rear rooms have a nice communal balcony too.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank DeCoucey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My boyfriend & I stayed one night at Hotel L'Approdo in March to rest up from our flight before our week in Italy. The owner & his wife were wonderful hosts. Although the seaside town of Anzio was mostly closed down for the off-season, they were more than accommodating, even digging out patio furniture for our one night stay. (We did not ask for this. We came back from lunch & the owner thought we might like to sit outside.) The room was small, but very clean & well laid out for the space. We were very comfortable. I believe there was only one other room occupied during our stay & the owner's wife still laid out an entire spread for breakfast for us. Although they spoke little English, we were able to manage a conversation about the weather & our trip. Absolutely wonderful people! We would not hesitate to stay here again. Do not pass this place up! A very modern place for a hotel in Italy!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelley N
Merseyside
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Modern and beautiful, lovely sea view rooms with spacious balconies. Very clean, very comfortable.
There is a small pool and sun terrace on the roof, along with a breakfast terrace with amazing views. Excellent breakfast - very good coffee and cake.
Nice place for a long weekend, fly into Rome and hire a car, can be there in just over an hour. Relax with a beach walk, see the Roman ruins, have a nice meal in town (20 minutes walk from the hotel)

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the surcharge.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Holidaylover091
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I booked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed.

My hubby wanted to stay in Anzio to visit the war cemeteries and memorials, but I will be honest in saying I was struggling to decide on where to stay as we like a comfortable big bed, a modern room and a good shower and some of the hotels got some very mixed reviews. I was also very conscious that we were choosing to stay at the very end of the Summer season.

Based on the reviews for this hotel I booked a superior room with a view of the ocean and terrace and was not disappointed at all. Clearly the room has been totally refurbished, as has most of the hotel. Do venture up to the rooftop pool where you feel like you have been transported to another hotel in another land! All I can say is that the owners of this hotel have good taste and go out of their way to please, helping with any small requests.

There is traffic noise from the road outside if you like sleeping with your windows open, but when closed with the air-conditioning on, we slept very well.

The breakfast cake was one of the best that we ate on our travels, along with a nice assortment of rolls, pastries, yogurts, cold cuts and cheeses. One small moan I would have is that if you arrive during the latter part of the breakfast hours do not be surprised to find all the bread rolls gone and only croissants left, but I promise you will not go hungry.

This really is the best place to stay in Anzio, with traditional restaurants and pizzerias within an easy 5-10min walk.

Room Tip: Do go for a modern, refurbished room - they really are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luxtraveller66
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

The place was completely remodelled and opened june 2013. The owner spent a fortune and has now the best hotel in Anzio. The rooms and the rooftop pool are as stylish as a new york appartment on park avenue! Breakfast is great coffee and eggs are made fresh. They make a buttermilk olive oil cake which is fabulous. I ate 3pcs this morning...
Get the seaview rooms there is some. Noise from the street but the views are great and you have sun all day long.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Alexu2001
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I can only echo the reviews below. A gem. The whole top deck made me feel like I was on a cruise ship. It's a huge area with the breakfast room to the front, swimming pool to the back. My favourite spot was the lounging area in front of the centrepiece elevator. There are also balconies on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The beds are firm and linens spotless with the towels changed every day. I was in the original building, so not as high tech as the new wing, but everything is new including the bathrooms and electrics. There is a beach in front, but the cafe was closed as the season was over. The walk into town along the main road takes about 20 mins, alternatively it's possible to walk along the shore line – a bit of scrambling over rocks is involved, but do-able. There are a couple of beaches on the way into town, the larger one offered sunbeds and umbrellas. A big thanks to the whole family for making me feel welcome and relaxed. Ci vediamo – seguro!

Room Tip: I had a room at the back. Very quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank DomingoBishop
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I didn't know this was the highest rated hotel in Anzio on Trip Advisor when I reserved on Booking.com. It was certainly acceptable, but not spectacular, except for the rooftop pool/sun deck and terrace, which is stunning and beautifully designed and overlooks the sea. This was the main reason for booking the hotel, along with the proximity to the beach (on the water) and the train station. The immediate area isn't much except for the beach (I didn't venture into the town of Anzio) and it's great that it's only a 5 min. walk from the Anzio Colonia train station. The small hotel is a little choppy feeling, there is clearly an older section, where the owner put me, in which the rooms are in need of updating, and a new section, still in the works it seems, which is gorgeous and modern with a great sense of style. I never saw a room in the new section but from the photos here, they look very nice. The large upholstered chair in my room was old and worn and when I lifted up the cushion to see if it was a sofa bed out of curiosity, I was horrified by the filth and debris under the cushion on the bare foam. The bed in my room was hard, I could feel the springs in the mattress and I woke up feeling very stiff and sore the next morning, not a great night's sleep as I'm used to in many hotels, although where I was on the back side away from the road and elevator, it was very quiet. There is no common sitting area except for the breakfast terrace, which is fantastic, overlooking the sea, where I spent a few hours using the free wi-fi which worked pretty well, and no public restroom. After I checked out, I spent some time on the sun deck and had to use the bathroom before leaving to catch my train, and the front desk manager kindly let me use the bathroom in his hotel room, but it felt very strange, a first to not have a common area bathroom. The owner recommended a fabulous restaurant for dinner, the best in Anzio according to reviews, "Antiche Ricette Napoletane," and it was certainly the highlight of my overnight stay and I would return to Anzio just to go to the restaurant. I loved the pool area and while I was lounging up there, the owner brought me bottled water and made sure I had what I needed to enjoy my stay. I just wish he had put me in one of the new rooms for the price of 70 euro for a single in a double room, off season when the hotel was barely occupied, and I wish I had remembered that there were other newer rooms and had thought to ask for one instead of accepting the one he gave me.

Room Tip: select a sea view room in the new section
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank romalaurita
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anzio
Grand Hotel Dei Cesari
#7 of 11 in Anzio
Astura Palace Hotel
Astura Palace Hotel
#2 of 6 in Nettuno

Been to Hotel L'Approdo? Share your experiences!