“Unique and wonderful”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arezzo
Castello Val di Colle
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Arezzo
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We only stayed here for one night but by the time we left we felt we had made new friends. Nothing was too much trouble for Renee and Pier Giovanni and their staff. We genuinely felt as if we were friends of the family rather than guests in a hotel. The Castello is delightful, as are the owners. If you are looking for a bland, sterile experience this is not the place for you and you are not the person for it. However, if you appreciate good taste, good food and the patina of the centuries during which this house has been in existence, then you will surely love it and it will linger in the memory. There are lower priced and more centrally situated options available but Castello Val di Colle is something special.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I were travelling Italy for 2 weeks and because we are big wine nuts who travel to Napa California on a yearly basis we wanted to ensure we picked the right place for our 6 night stay in Tuscany. It took a lot of researching but it was well worth it, we chose Arezzo for the location because it is the perfect spot for seeing Florence (45 minute train ride) and in driving distance to some of the major wine regions such as Montalcino, Panzano, Greve in Chianti etc. In reading the reviews for Castello Val Di Colle, I immediately wanted to choose them for our stay and I am so glad we did. After a gruelling day of travel to get from Venice to Arezzo we were provided a very warm welcome by the owners Pierre Giovanni, Renee and their son Caleb. We were floored as to how personalized the service was, they spent an hour or two as we got in talking about their beautiful castle, the works of art and the history that is ingrained in this place as well as receiving a tour of the castle and meeting all of the staff.... all the while with sparking water and prosecco in hand for the both of us!

Receiving a tour of the castle was special because you got to get a sense of the love the owners have for the castle and the traditions that come with the Palleggi family name. Although the castle is a couple thousand years old, the restoration that has been put into this place is breathtaking. It provides you with an authentic Tuscan hillside experience but you also receive some of the modern conveniences us travellers enjoy today such as pool, hot tub, wi-fi etc. They also make their own olive oil and wines which were beautiful, I am still thinking about that olive oil and rosemary foccacia bread! TO DIE FOR....seriously

What can I say the staff are amazing, they come from all walks of life but it is what makes this place ordinarily special. Gretchin, Christina, Katarina and Julio are a fabulous team. The girls go over and above what is required to ensure you have everything you need. Julio who is the personal chef is of the utmost talent. Instead of visiting new places to eat and explore, we preferred to just stay here at the castle because we felt it really couldn't get any better and we were right. His meals were some of the best meals we have had to date- the love and care he puts into the food shows and we greatly appreciated that.

As for P.Giovanni and Renee, it is not often that we come across people as generous and hospitable as them. They are kind hearted, and genuinely care about your experience you have there and in Italy in general. We ended up getting hosed at the car rental place as they did not have any more GPS's available which basically ruined our plans of driving throughout Tuscany- it would have been impossible. Once we told them this story they provided us with their GPS, gave us tips and tricks to handle the roads and which places are a must see. If it wasn't for their guidance our amazing experiences we had would have not been the same. It really helped that they both have perfect english as the language barrier can be difficult. Also Italians are really not that "customer service oriented" so it was a nice change of pace to be pampered as well as get any information/service we required. As you can see all of their reviews are long and this is for a reason, I could write about them all day long but to finish it off just know that you and your staff will always have friends here in Toronto Canada. Thanks from the bottom of our hearts for the hospitality! WE WILL BE BACK

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My sisters and I, along with my parents went to meet cousins living in Cortona. The hotel they suggested was booked so we found this hotel on Trip advisor. I am so glad we did. First of all the owners both speak English, which of course was a great relief and help in navigating the territory. But the castle! I can not believe that a 3,000 year old building can stand the test of time like this one. I have never seen anything so ancient before. The rooms are like a fairy tale. I had the sunflower room. The bed was hand carved sunflowers and it was so beautiful. The linens were outstanding and handmade by the owners father, who is a linen designer for Frette. I slept almost 13 hours the first night. The restaurant was stunning as was the chef(single ladies!) and the food was the best food I have ever had in my life. I can not wIt to bring my husband with me the next time and share this with him! You can wander for hours through the olive groves,the hiking trails and my husband can practice at the driving range which overlooks the whole village!! The swimming pools are so beautiful tucked below the gardens and overlooking some beautiful Tuscan land and villas. There'd is too much to write about but I will defiantly be going back! Thank you so much Renee and Giovanni for all the help and hospitality. 5 stars to the owners!!! Ciao!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrea C
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had a very important celebrity client asked to make an appearance in Tuscany recently, which is a place I have dreamed of visiting my whole life, specifically Arrezo. We were blessed and fortunate enough to stay at Castello Val Colle, a castle high up on a hill top surrounded by a beautiful view, olive trees and a vineyard which produces the most amazing wine. I thought I was in a fairy tale, literally. The castle is amazing and the rooms are as beautiful as they are comfortable. The chef treated us to the most delicious meal each night and the owners (Renee and Pierre Giovanni) not only are the best hosts in all of Italy, I feel like I have made a friendship with them that will last a lifetime. The experience was a dream come true. My celebrity client could not have been more impressed as well. The only problem I had was I didn't want to leave...ever. I will be back and back often. I highly, highly recommend. I usually am not one to make promises, but I promise you won't be sorry.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Anthony A
Reviewed 12 May 2014

6 of us stayed at this wonderful castle high on the hilltops of Arezzo for 6 nights starting in April 2014. Our hosts, Renee, Giovanni and Caleb made us feel as though we were in our own homes. Their staff was very attentive and always ready with a cup of coffee or a glass of their wine in the afternoon. Dinner was delicious, Julio gave us a cooking class one afternoon and then we ate our own homemade pastas and stuffed chicken breast for dinner that evening. The views from the castle are breathtaking. The 1000 year old wine press is extraordinary. I don't think you could find a better one of a kind experience anywhere else. Also, we will never forget Gretchen, who could "fly me to the moon." Grazie mille to the Pallegis.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chuck Z
Reviewed 9 February 2014

If you need a reason to visit Arezzo, know staying at this small remote but incredibly charming hill-top Castle is beyond rewarding. Enfolded within it's impressive history and substantial stone walls, was unexpected hospitality and personal care we had only imagined. After a dreary drive up a small narrowly steep road, we pulled into their brightly lit gated entry and were warmly welcomed by owners Renee and Pierre, as well as their ever-attentive young Manager, Spencer. Our spacious second floor king suite ("Juliette Balcony") with its tall double door opening balcony overlooked their private statute adorned garden and grounds. Its larger than normal bathroom was bright, well appointed, stocked with high-end luxury soaps and lotions - including a fair-sized shower.

After a detailed private castle tour combining it's amazing past with rich, tastefully updated furnishings, we were invited to dine in their small restaurant. Not any restaurant, but an intimately gourmet one served by a talented private chef, who prepared a six course hand-made traditional Tuscan repast - with wine! What a divinely enchanting evening! Only to discover reliving it all again the next day - and night. Breakfast was a generous choice of traditional Tuscan morning fare and included specially made cappuccinos. We explored Arezzo - including the owners' tip of a nearby luxury shoe outlet - but couldn't wait to return and once again be ensconced in the Castle's immeasurable comfort.

We can't wait to go back for another experience that compares to none.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelsMoore
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Lovely place to stay, great atmosphere and excellent customer care. Rooms are cozy and we woke well rested- comfy soft bed just like home. I will definitely return here and would highly recommend them for your rooming accomodations.

• Stayed: January 2014