“Great Holiday Skiing!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel I Larici
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Bardonecchia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had a great a great week skiing and staying in the hotel. We stayed in the annexe, the room was clean and comfortable and the bed was very comfortable. The staff were great and really helpful. I would advise making sure you go down for the start of dinner in the evening as the anti-pasta course does not get refilled and you miss out if you go to dinner late. We went in low session and the hot tub was not working and we had to ask for the fire to be lit. The staff were very helpful and managed to get wood for the last two evenings. There is also no storage in the hotel for skis/snow boards as advertised. You can pay for storage at the ski resort or we just left our skis on the balcony. Check you bar bill and keep a record of your drinks as our bill was wrong by 25 euros, but again the staff were very helpful and the problem was sorted. Over all a good budget hotel.

Room Tip: The annexe had spacious rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have bought a package last minute with Neilson and I was expecting just a decent hotel and it was just more.
A friendly staff without be intrusive the room were not the newest but spotless clean, the food was good for the price shame bit to anglicised to match the taste of the customers (I was the only italian in the whole hotel).
Highly recommended for an easygoing and fun stay.
The only bad point the wifi wasn't great.

Room Tip: Ask one with a Good wifi connection!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Francesco S
Reviewed 29 January 2014

A last minute ski decision with neilson on my own with no expectations. What a pleasant surprise. I would definitely recommend if you want a base in bardonecchia. Spotlessly clean, good honest Italian food, amazing personalised customer service. They really could not have done more to make me feel at home. I have high standards for hotels and this one whilst basic delivered the customer service that a 5star should aspire to. Thank you for an amazing relaxing holiday I will be back and happy to give the highest recommendation. Chao

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank OWhite100
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We have just returned from a weeks skiing in Barbonecchia , we really enjoyed it , are first impression of the hotel was very clean a bit dated but that doesnt bother us, as long as its clean and friendly and the food is good . Well two out of three isnt bad . The food was ok but thats all it was . are room was above the back door witch made such a noise when it opened , 6.45 everymorning , so no chance of a lay in .we would go back to Bardonecchia but not in that hotel .

Room Tip: Ask for a room in anex
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnlynda308
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Just returned from a week in the Hotel I Larici courtesy of Neilsons. Our room was in the new annex - modern and spotlessly clean and comfortable. The hotel lounge and dining room were fine and we always had the fire lit for us. I do not agree with the comments regarding the food - both myself and my partner were more than happy with it and she has to shy away from diary and wheat and this never posed a problem. . A buffett pre starter , a hot starter , a hot main and a pudding - and we always looked forward to sitting down to dinner. , not dreading it. We were always dead on time for dinner, i think this did help us. Considering what we had paid it more than exceed our expectations . I would certainly recommend it to other people who want a nice hotel at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for the annex
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IndieRush
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My friends and I have just returned from a week's skiing in Bardonecchia, staying at the hotel I Larici. We had a great time and would happily recommend it to anyone who wants a week's accommodation at a reasonable price.

Following an hour and twenty minute transfer from Turin, we were dropped off outside a pretty building, well worthy of its location in a ski resort. On arrival we were greeted by friendly and hospitable staff who remained so throughout the duration of our stay. Contrary to some of the mixed reviews you might have read, the food was plentiful and generally very tasty and the rooms were clean and tidy and contained showers you only wished you had at home. The open plan lounge and bar area, albeit a little dated, was ideal as a meeting point or for early evening drinks.

My only criticism of the hotel is the charging policy for drinks. You cannot pay for drinks at the bar, meaning that you end up building a tab over the course of the week. On settling my drinks bill on the last evening, to my surprise, I discovered that not only were we being charged for the wine provided with dinner, it was almost always being charged to the same one or two rooms, regardless of who had ordered it.

Drinks debacle apart, we had a great time and would happily return. Bardonecchia is much prettier than it is made out to be, although it is as quiet as reviewers have suggested. The skiing is also better than I had anticipated, with some excellently groomed tree-lined runs and some amazing views of the Dolomites. Yes, you will undoubtedly ski the same runs over the course of the week, particularly if, like us, you spend most of your time on the slopes on the Campo Smith side of town. Even though our party contained some relatively experienced skiers, no-one seemed to get bored, and although we ventured out to Jefferau for half a day, we found ourselves returning to Campo Smith's warmer and prettier slopes.

To summarise, the I Larici is a nice hotel in a nice town with some nice skiing. Even though it was half-term, we lost count of the times we had pistes to ourselves. If you're looking for a peaceful week's skiing without the queues, the prices or the pretentiousness of some of the glitzier resorts, then Bardonecchia could be right up your street.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank MJA-Rdale
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I found a decent Neilson deal for a weeks ski and a half-board stay at the I'Larici in Bardi. I'd never been before but heard good things, and I thought I couldn't go wrong with food in Italy. Well you can. You can go very, very, wrong as my dining experience at I'Larici proved.

The hotel itself is fine; it's in a great location, just 10 minutes stroll from the main lift and 5 minutes into the small town. The staff are fine, polite and accommodating (not that I really asked for much). The shower was great - hot and powerful. The room was... well, a 3 star hotel room - safe, wardrobes, small TV with MTV playing the same 10 songs (always including a Rhianna song) on rotation day after day after day. The room was spotlessly clean upon return every evening and was kept warm. The only objection was that the single bed was very small and the mattress was very, very hard - not a great sleep! But the thing that really killed the experience was the food. I can honestly say, without exaggeration, it is the worst food I can ever remember being served in a public arena - and I've been to Bulgaria and Cambodia.

Imagine, you've had a great day's skiing on the wonderfully manicured Bardonnecchia slopes. You've enjoyed flying down their Olympic slope and had a decent lunch in the Chesal 1805 bar/restaurant at Melezet. After enjoying a cheap cocktail (Vodka Sour recommended) or a watery happy hour beer at Cipo's and handing in your equipment, you're refreshed, but comfortably fatigued and looking forward to the delicious Italian cuisine you're expecting at I'Larici. Instead, you get a dollop of mash, a spoonful of tepid over-boiled green beans and an unseasoned, roasted chicken leg that looks like it's come off a starved piece of pygmy poultry. What an absolute downer! You're so disappointed and still so hungry that you end up having a beer in the hotel and going straight to that firm rectangle of springs and upholstery that is your bed.

Now imagine this scenario for a week, by the time you get to the 'Pizza Party' night, you're desperate. You're thinking, "They can't go wrong with pizza - it's Italy for chrissakes!" Well my friends, they can go wrong with pizza. Dinner is served between 7.30 and 8.30pm. I arrived at 8.20 to find what looked like the left overs from a student party - cold, lame, bits of pizza that, by this point, I just couldn't stomach. And when the wonderfully camp waiter shrieked "Hey' you're late!" I felt it was time to leave before I lost my temper. That night I went to sleep on a stomach that was empty apart from the two and a half glasses of red wine I downed to numb the pain of sleeping on a rock hard mattress.

So yeah, the I'Larici is decent as long as you don't have your food there. Coffee and croissants in the morning are ok though. They also have a small gym in the basement and a place to put your ski gear. In the gym there is a jacuzzi. It's empty. Apparently you can fill it with water use it for 30 minutes for a mere €15. Or is that 15 minutes for €30 - I can't remember - either way it's not really worth it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends