“Pretty average”

Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Bardonecchia
cardiff
“Pretty average”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel is a pretty tired place which could do with a bit of renovation! There are a number of positives and negatives here. We visited Bardonecchia hot on the heels of an excellent holiday in Pila which probably clouds my judgement slightly.

First of all the positives, excellent and very pleasant staff, with good English spoken on the whole. The beds were comfortable and the room had a good shower. Contrary to the previous review there is a ski room here in the basement accessed via a lift.

The negatives - paper thin walls, we were woken up a few times by our 'neighbours' visiting the toilet and the other neighbour listening to peppa pig all night!

The food here is not great. Each time I have visited Italy previously I have found the food to be wonderful but even by British standards it could only be classed as woeful. The food was often lukewarm and had the feel of being reheated and not cooked from fresh. There was usually a choice of three starters and three mains. The best part of the 4 course meal was invariably the antipasti buffet - this in itself was an issue because at 7.30 the buffet would open and by 7.35 it would be empty - no doubt due to everyone else feeling that this was the best part of the meal too. The drinks are not cheap but not overly expensive either 4euro for a small bottle of beer or 5euro for a large bottle.

Other relatively minor issues included he safe being locked in the open position and the chest of drawers not having any 'runners' and therefore unusable.

The location here is OK a 10 minute walk to the main ski area, with the main part of the town 5 mins in the other directon. We decided to leave our skis at the hire shop each evening for an additional 7euro each for the week - well worth it as even a 10 min walk with skis (or 5 mins if you use the bus) after a hard days skiing is not ideal.

Overall I enjoyed bardonecchia despite the hotel - not because of it.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room which is away from the bar as noise carries a long way!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wigan
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had an excellent skiing holiday with Nielson at the Hotel. Comfortable, clean and warm hotel. Food not really to our liking but adequate for the price paid. The staff are great and very helpful. Excellent skiing resort and good hotel. You can walk to the slopes in around 10 mins or get the ski bus so handy location without being in the thick of it. Nice to be in the town.

Room Tip: We had a room in the annex which was nice although walls a bit thin
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The rooms were simple but clean and warm, the shower was hot and the bed was comfortable. Breakfasts were good. 90% of the food in the evening I enjoyed, it is worth getting there on time for the buffet before the first served course. What made this hotel were the staff, very lovely and helpful. I have paid a lot more on other Ski trips to the alps and had far worse food and lazy staff so to get this standard for this price on an alpine ski trip means we will be back next year.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JulieV98
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had a great a great week skiing and staying in the hotel. We stayed in the annexe, the room was clean and comfortable and the bed was very comfortable. The staff were great and really helpful. I would advise making sure you go down for the start of dinner in the evening as the anti-pasta course does not get refilled and you miss out if you go to dinner late. We went in low session and the hot tub was not working and we had to ask for the fire to be lit. The staff were very helpful and managed to get wood for the last two evenings. There is also no storage in the hotel for skis/snow boards as advertised. You can pay for storage at the ski resort or we just left our skis on the balcony. Check you bar bill and keep a record of your drinks as our bill was wrong by 25 euros, but again the staff were very helpful and the problem was sorted. Over all a good budget hotel.

Room Tip: The annexe had spacious rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have bought a package last minute with Neilson and I was expecting just a decent hotel and it was just more.
A friendly staff without be intrusive the room were not the newest but spotless clean, the food was good for the price shame bit to anglicised to match the taste of the customers (I was the only italian in the whole hotel).
Highly recommended for an easygoing and fun stay.
The only bad point the wifi wasn't great.

Room Tip: Ask one with a Good wifi connection!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Francesco S
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

A last minute ski decision with neilson on my own with no expectations. What a pleasant surprise. I would definitely recommend if you want a base in bardonecchia. Spotlessly clean, good honest Italian food, amazing personalised customer service. They really could not have done more to make me feel at home. I have high standards for hotels and this one whilst basic delivered the customer service that a 5star should aspire to. Thank you for an amazing relaxing holiday I will be back and happy to give the highest recommendation. Chao

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank OWhite100
Featherstone, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We have just returned from a weeks skiing in Barbonecchia , we really enjoyed it , are first impression of the hotel was very clean a bit dated but that doesnt bother us, as long as its clean and friendly and the food is good . Well two out of three isnt bad . The food was ok but thats all it was . are room was above the back door witch made such a noise when it opened , 6.45 everymorning , so no chance of a lay in .we would go back to Bardonecchia but not in that hotel .

Room Tip: Ask for a room in anex
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple