“Fine choice in Bormio”

Hotel La Genzianella
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Bormio
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a very solid hotel. It represents a good value. We had a lovely view of the mountains. After staying in a series of 4-star hotels, this 3-star hotel was a little smaller and a little less luxurious. For example, the bathroom had the equivalent of cruise-ship shower and no bath. The rooms were quiet. The beds were a little harder than our ideal. They also come with only one sleeping pillow per person when we had become accustomed to two and which we did not realize until we climbed into bed. If having more than one pillow is an issue for you, be sure to ask for second one. Breakfast was a full-on buffet with lots of choices. I definitely recommended pre-booking dinner. Not only is it an excellent value, the food was outstanding. The multi-course meal comes with an appetizer bar (a meal onto itself) and a dessert bar, at which point I wished I had extra stomachs. The wines were outstanding.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was my first visit to Bormio in general, let alone for cycling (which was the purpose of my visit). I knew very little about the area prior to my arrival, except for the proximity to famous and fabulous cycling routes. From my first contact with Hotel La Genzianella, they were FIRST CLASS service all the way. We communicated easily during my planning phase a few months earlier. Federica helped me with ideas about where to look for rental cars, traveling by bike on the train, etc. When I finally arrived for check-in, I was greeted warmly and handed information about cycling in the area. The hotel itself is very clean, comfortable and well-equiped for the cycling traveler, with great storage and bike repair facilities. The family/owners are wonderful, as is every member of their staff. The food at breakfast and dinner was out of this world, and plentiful...perfect for cyclists with hearty appetites. And....I had a slight change of travel plans, requiring me to cancel my final night at the hotel. The owners were nice enough to let me off the hook, as they were able to book the room to another guest. Still on that last day of check-out, I was able to get a morning ride in, return to the hotel and use the shower in the spa, while they kept my bags in the bike area (I had cleared out of my room). I really appreciated their flexibility, not to mention their undeniable desire to make me (and every guest) feel welcome at their hotel. I think this is what happens when a traveler is lucky enough to stay at a family-owned hotel with hosts who have a sincere desire to make your stay a delight. Thank you, thank you! I'll be back. Arrivederci.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We came back to Bormio to ride the Stelvio and didn't hesitate to re-book at La Genzianella. The hotel owners are lovely, very welcoming and go out of their way to ensure you find everything you need. The rooms are spacious and very clean. Breakfast is delicious!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights in a Junior Suite Genzianella, and the staff could not have been more lovely to us. From the time we booked and conversed over email (in good English) we felt welcome. Travelling with two small children is never easy, but the staff were very accommodating making special meals for the kids on request and helping us book child care and nanny services. The half board (with dinner) is incredible as both breakfast and dinner were better than any other hotel in which we have stayed! Incredible food!
Our rooms were modern, fresh and large with a huge shower with amazing shower jets (wait till you try them)!
We cycled, and the hotel has fantastic services for cyclists including, a massive secure locker for bikes, tools and workshop, and a daily laundering service for bike kit washed overnight!
Location and views were beautiful.
We have never been to Italy before but if we come back, it will be to Hotel La Genzianella to ski or cycle or maybe just to relax. Enjoy your stay here, we sure have!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel room for one night in January. When we arrived in June after confirming our room by email 24 hours prior they had no room at the hotel for us as they had guests with a sick child who had to stay on (which was the reason we were told)
The family who run the hotel are lovely and they arranged for us to stay at another hotel across the road. This hotel was basic and clean but not as nice as the Genzianella. Bit disappointed really not the experience we expected.
Anyway having said all of that they did offer us dinner and a drink by way of compensation on the house. The hotel also had nice staff, great ambience in the lounges, restaurant & garden and the food & service was really good hence my score despite not having a room for is when we got there!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GenzianellaBormio, FEDERICA at Hotel La Genzianella, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Louise!
thanks for your kind review
:-)
I want to apologize once more for the inconvenient.
We surely would have preferred to have you here at the hotel.
24 hours before, when we had the last contact,
the room was still booked for you here at the hotel.
I hope you understand that it was independent from us.
Sometime it is impossible to predict such events
& keep everything under our control as we would like.
I always say that choosing a destination,
booking flights & booking a hotel is part of the journey.
I love doing it when I organize a holiday and I understand your disappointment.
Once again please accept our apologies.
Enjoy your holiday at the seaside
Federica

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Besides the great family atmosphere and the friendliness of the whole staff, the service was great, the food excellent, and our room was clean and well equipped.
I stayed as part of a group during a cycling holiday. The hotel has great facilities for bike storage and repair, kit cleaning for free, and offers great guided tours over the famous classic passes.
Luke, the Californian bike guide, did an excellent job in getting me up and over the passes with some great tips and some local knowledge.
Loved the place and I highly recommend it!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We had high expectations for the Hotel La Genzianella, after we had looked at their excellent website. The Hotel rooms on the website looked appealing, a Hotel where one would be happy to stay after a long trip, eager to ride up the Stelvio pass the following day.
Our room was very small and was in desperate need of a paint job, maybe a different colour than the stale yellow, and a very tired looking bathroom. The showers are tiny!
Unfortunately the Hotel staff was not terribly helpful, when we asked if they could please suggest hiking trails in the area. The young man behind the reception desk seemed annoyed when we asked for further details...
The hotel however, is well designed to cater to cyclists and has a dedicated room in the cellar with ceiling mounted hooks, a couple of repair stands, full set of tool and a pressure washer hose.
The bike room is accessible by using your room key card. Or with the hotel staff's key, which I found left hanging in the barrel lock of the door to the bike room, along with a full set of keys for all other areas of the hotel. I am guessing that there were bikes worth of 150k in the room. I brought the keys to the front desk on the way up... The next day, the maid left her master card key in our room.

However, the Hotel is not as well appointed as it might appear on the website, and the members of staff are a bit careless with security.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GenzianellaBormio, Federica at Hotel La Genzianella, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Madame,
thank you for your review.
We take in high consideration your suggestions
and I am sorry you did not feel comfortable in your room.
The most important people of the hotel is not the boss, is not the cook chef,
IT IS THE GUEST, and our aim is to make all what possible to make your stay enjoyable.
We constantly renovate the hotel and our services in order to satisfy our guests needs. You had one of the rooms that have been renovated in 2008 and have a yellow color.
We do not hide these rooms and you can find pictures of them on our website.
Design changes and yes, if we would do it today we would do another color.
My mother loves that color, but maybe your review will help me to change it. :-)
The shower in your room is 90x90cm, a standard size in Italy.
I booked that room because it was more silent: all the other guests were having a Bike race and were all waking up at 5.30am. I thought that room would have been better for your sleep.
I was wrong probably.
When you were here last week the two little cycling groups we were hosting were very lively & animated and we repeated constantly that they had to keep the bike room close. The key you found hanging was given to the bus driver that had to unload all the bikes from the van. Even with cameras always on the attention is never enough, so thank you for bringing the key back! Concerning the key left by the maid once again sorry. It is not our standard.
Last but not least I know that the young boy has been inpatient with you. He was troubled because you brought your dog in the breakfast room even if we kindly asked not to bring it with you. However this is not an excuse. Sorry. We already talked to him about that even before receiving your comment.

We hope you will give us another chance in the future
to know us better and enjoy your holiday,
maybe in one of our latest renovated rooms!
You should try our restaurant too! :-)