“A Bormio must stay”

Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Bormio
Singapore, Singapore
“A Bormio must stay”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great hospitality, wonderful food and service. The perfect getaway for me (cyclist) and my wife (non cyclist). Incredible bike facilities and access to some of the best climbs in Europe; great access to the town and all it's facilities. We will be back

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank SimmoC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Culemborg
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed in La Genzianella with our Tour des Amis in 2010 and that was beautiful.
Very nice staff and a good diner and breakfast; i remember the best "ossobuco" ever..
From this hotel you can drive "Passo Stelvio", like we did with our Cabrio's; wonderfull!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bart T
Venice, California, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2014

5 stars for DESIGN. this hotel is not overly fancy or luxe, but the decor extremely well designed. i am a pretty harsh critic when it comes to design and i really loved everything about la genzianella. the lobby / bar area are adorable. the restaurant was really well designed with great food. our two rooms had recently been remodeled (although i am not sure all have been remodeled) and were furnished in a very alpine-chic style.

5 stars for SERVICE. this is a family-run hotel and you can really tell they care about their guests. each person we encountered was extremely friendly, knowledgable and helpful. i received an email 1 week after our departure letting me know they had forgotten to refund the security deposit. many hotels would have kept the 95 euro. i was extremely impressed that they took the time to follow up and refund my card. they also have nice touches like a little booklet in each room with local info, the family history, etc. i always appreciate the little things like that.

5 stars for FOOD. usually i like to dine outside of a hotel so that i can get a good sense of the local culture, but the hotel restaurant had excellent reviews on trip advisor. it did not disappoint! we were incredibly impressed with the food. the prices were incredibly reasonable as well. the waitress recommended her favorite local wine and it was outstanding (also really well priced).

i would definitely recommend la genzianella to anyone visiting bormio without hesitation.

Room Tip: ask for a remodeled room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

For us 'five stars' or 'luxury' are not titles that make a hotel stay memorable. Easy friendliness, professionalism and a willingness to share information about the special features of an area are what make a visit to be remembered and this we found to an exceptional degree when we stayed at La Genzianella. As an added bonus, the food is marvellous. After eating dinner at their restaurant on our first night we decided not to try anywhere else. It was lovely, simple and delicious and as others have mentioned it is quite the best breakfast ever!
We always take note of the efforts made by hotels to be environmentally responsible and it was great to see that this is a stated priority at La Genzianela and that they recycle waste from the rooms. The walks that the owners recommended, especially the Val Zebru, were highlights of our trip in the mountains and we appreciated the unsolicited loan of walking poles. They were definitely needed!
Our only sadness is that we live on the other side of the world so probably won't be back in the near future!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a very solid hotel. It represents a good value. We had a lovely view of the mountains. After staying in a series of 4-star hotels, this 3-star hotel was a little smaller and a little less luxurious. For example, the bathroom had the equivalent of cruise-ship shower and no bath. The rooms were quiet. The beds were a little harder than our ideal. They also come with only one sleeping pillow per person when we had become accustomed to two and which we did not realize until we climbed into bed. If having more than one pillow is an issue for you, be sure to ask for second one. Breakfast was a full-on buffet with lots of choices. I definitely recommended pre-booking dinner. Not only is it an excellent value, the food was outstanding. The multi-course meal comes with an appetizer bar (a meal onto itself) and a dessert bar, at which point I wished I had extra stomachs. The wines were outstanding.

Oakland, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was my first visit to Bormio in general, let alone for cycling (which was the purpose of my visit). I knew very little about the area prior to my arrival, except for the proximity to famous and fabulous cycling routes. From my first contact with Hotel La Genzianella, they were FIRST CLASS service all the way. We communicated easily during my planning phase a few months earlier. Federica helped me with ideas about where to look for rental cars, traveling by bike on the train, etc. When I finally arrived for check-in, I was greeted warmly and handed information about cycling in the area. The hotel itself is very clean, comfortable and well-equiped for the cycling traveler, with great storage and bike repair facilities. The family/owners are wonderful, as is every member of their staff. The food at breakfast and dinner was out of this world, and plentiful...perfect for cyclists with hearty appetites. And....I had a slight change of travel plans, requiring me to cancel my final night at the hotel. The owners were nice enough to let me off the hook, as they were able to book the room to another guest. Still on that last day of check-out, I was able to get a morning ride in, return to the hotel and use the shower in the spa, while they kept my bags in the bike area (I had cleared out of my room). I really appreciated their flexibility, not to mention their undeniable desire to make me (and every guest) feel welcome at their hotel. I think this is what happens when a traveler is lucky enough to stay at a family-owned hotel with hosts who have a sincere desire to make your stay a delight. Thank you, thank you! I'll be back. Arrivederci.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We came back to Bormio to ride the Stelvio and didn't hesitate to re-book at La Genzianella. The hotel owners are lovely, very welcoming and go out of their way to ensure you find everything you need. The rooms are spacious and very clean. Breakfast is delicious!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel