“Pathetic restaurant”

Tombolo Talasso Resort
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I am writing this review as I am staying here. Dinner - the service was insipid at best. There was no willingness to accommodate our vegetarian diet. And what was served was pathetic. Breakfast was elaborate- all show. The time was 10.10 am. 20 minutes before their closing time. They had run out of EGGS. I have traveled far and wide. But have never heard of a 5 star expensive hotel running out of eggs. Again, the attitude of the waiters was non accommodating. They wanted to serve us left over scrambled eggs. When we complained to the manager she was willing to get eggs from the Market. But in a 5 star you don't make this known do u ? And that too 15 minutes after ordering the eggs we were told it's over. We were just made to wait.
Why would I come here again? Aren't there other spa hotels in the Tuscan coast with better service ?

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank aparnasomani

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Hotel location is great. A beautiful setting on beach and within walking distance of several restaurants and the town. Also within close proximity to many historic sites and the countryside of Tuscany is spectacular.

The Hotel spa and pool area are excellent. The food was terrific. Everything you need is at the Hotel - but as I say its a short walk or drive to many other terrific spots.

Food and service at Hotel Tombolo was first class. The staff was friendly from the car valets up to management.

I would highly recommend Hotel Tombolo to anyone wishing to travel with their family - or for a romantic holiday with a loved one. Its a great place to stay and I was very impressed.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2011

From the moment we arrived at Tombolo our expectations were exceeded in every way. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the rooms were spacious and clean and the views were fantastic. We enjoyed all the resort had to offer including the spa and the resturant and were completely satisfied with our stay. We were only fortunate enough to stay for two nights but the experience was so good that I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We didn't book in advance, just walked-in. Friendly welcome at the front desk.
The position of the hotel is enchanting. We have been impressed first of all by the view from the lobby to the beach:unbelievable!!! A great surprise has been the Spa: sea water inside, and the massage.....we will suggest to our friends for sure!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We stayed five nights, on the first night we dined in the hotel as a couple, warm water, warm wine, we asked the waiter to leave the wine until it had chilled however when returning from our buffet starter the glasses were full with warm wine. Sea Bass came with only rocket as a side dish, no potatoes or vegetables, we complained but no compensation!
The second night we dined in the hotel as a group and the experience was better.
The music in the lounge went on to about 1am and we could not get to sleep, if you like a good nights sleep this hotel is not for you.
The room was spacious but the bathroom tiny.
The Spa was excellent and our treatments were fantastic.
The reason for the poor restaurant experience could be that the the hotel is now being run by the Accorn group and not the Antorini family. Over priced hotel we paid over 500euros per night.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank stanleyjs
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed in this beautiful hotel for five nghts as part of a three centre holiday including Montecatini Terme and Sienna.

Okay its not cheap but you get five star service all the way and the location is just superb with a private beach 50 metres from the lush hotel grounds. From start to finish it was superb. The staff were very friendly and every day our room was cleaned and bed linen and towels repalced and even our bath robes were changed.

We stayed on a Bed and Breakfast basis and the large buffet breakfast each morning was mouthwatering with lots of fresh meats, cheeses, breads, fruit, pastries, scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon and lashings of tea and coffee.

The view from the hotel bar terrace is amazing and watching the sun set with a well chilled glass of prosecco before dinner was my favourite part of the day.

We ate out most nights as there are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance but on our last night we had a superb meal in the hotel with the usual high levels of service from very attentive staff,

The Tombolo also has a wellness centre where you can take full advantage of a full range of services including pedicure and massage, I had a full body massage which was something else and well worth the expense.

Whilst Marina di Castagneta is quiet in terms of nightlife it suited us and overall we had a fantastic holiday with my only regret that we didn't stay longer but we will definitely return to the Tombolo and definitely stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My sister-in-law and her boyfriend took my husband and me here for a few hours of thalasso therapy in the hotel's spa. The spa is beautiful. It is designed to look like a grotto. There are five different pools. The first is a pool for exercise where you can either swim or ride stationary bikes. The second was really two pools - one with hot water and one with cold water. You were supposed to walk slowly from the hot to the cold in order to improve circulation in the legs. The third pool was the massage pool. This was my favorite - I spent way more than the 15 - 20 minutes recommended for this pool. The fourth pool was the counter current pool. The current wasn't terribly strong and was very easy to swim against. The fifth and final pool is located in a separate room. It is a relaxation pool with ultra high salt content to make floating easier. They play calming music under the water so you can listen while you float.
After we finished with the pools, we went to the sauna. There are separate saunas for men and women. It seemed like hardly anyone used the saunas as my sister-in-law and I were the only women in it. After the sauna, we spent time in a relaxation room. The relaxation room was full of cushioned reclining chairs. On the wall was a sort of sculpture/painting of the Tuscan countryside that used lights to make it look like the sun was rising and setting. Following the relaxation room, we used the Roman and Turkish baths. The Turkish bath was too hot and foggy for me, but I enjoyed the Roman baths quite a bit. The freezing cold tub of water in the Roman bath area feels great against all the heat of the room. After this, we went the relaxation room again and enjoyed complimentary fruit and tea.
The hotel provides you with a robe, towel, and slippers. My only real complaint is that they do not provide enough towels. I had to use one towel the whole time. I guess they have a problem with thieves as they require you to leave you documents at the front desk and you cannot get them back until you return your towels and robes. Overall, we had a nice, relaxing time. I would go there again, but maybe bring my own towel for the shower.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
#7 of 16 in Castagneto Carducci
Club Alle Dune
Club Alle Dune
#2 of 4 in Marina di Castagneto Carducci

Been to Tombolo Talasso Resort? Share your experiences!