“Overpriced, worst meal in Italy yet!”

Ristorante Il Caicco
Ranked #84 of 122 Restaurants in Castellabate
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I ordered cod and something resembling a dry sock was served to me, worst looking fish I have EVER seen. I sent it back and gave up hope, how a chef can serve this to even my cat is beyond me. My partner has prawns - £25 euro for 5 - tasted fine but a complete rip off! £67 euro for a view, would rather have been watching England getting beaten in the football by Italy whilst drinking the equivalent in beer. AVOID at ALL cost! You have been warned.

1  Thank Daniel F

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Spectacular view but awful food and pushy waiter. Overpriced based on food quality, and breathtaking 180 degree Coastal views only real saving grace. Had run out of staples such as Campari and had to settle on lesser wine due to limited availability of what was on wine list. Seafood was overcooked and mixed grilled seafood platter was a piece of dry swordfish and a lone prawn. Worst meal we had in 5 days in the region.

4  Thank LesH211
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I have been meaning to visit Il Caicco for quite some time. I have spent the last three summers in Cilento and am always running across reviews and photos of the wonderful view. So, it was with some excitement that we made a booking. When we arrived we were seated promptly and secured a great table overlooking Santa Maria. There is no doubt, the restaurant has a million dollar view. If you are a fan of huge sunsets and have a great camera it may be worth visiting for the view alone. We had expected the prices to be on the high side, given the restaurant's location, and were not surprised to see a menu that could cost well over 120 euros for two including a bottle of wine (three courses). There is a set menu available (35 Euros a head for three courses and a bottle of wine)

We ordered 2 seafood antipasti and then 2 ravioli dishes with seafood sauce. As we were eating, a number of things gradually dawned on us; the portions were small, the presentation unimaginative and the sauce bases pre-made. In the Cilento, paying these kind of prices, there is really no excuse for even one of these to be true.

We both felt that the food suited the restaurant's reputation as a great wedding venue but didn't really hit the mark gastronomically. So, not wanting to be too harsh because the service was fast and attentive, I would recommend the restaurant wholeheartedly as a wedding venue but if you are looking to have your taste buds wowed, this isn't the place for you. Better try Al Frantoio in San Mauro, which is a truly locally sourced, inexpensive enterprise with amazing cuisine.

3  Thank Rangatira1970
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We had our wedding reception in Caicco restaurant, everything was ordered and organised by Cilento-Travel.eu and Italian Best Weddings. We had a fantastic wedding in the old castle and after the wedding ceremony we and all guests had a nice walk to the old square in Castellabate where we got served canapees and champagne. The musicians was together with us all day and entertained our guests in the aquare wile we had our pictures taken in the old parts of Castellabate. After finished in the square we went to Caicco and when our guests came out on the terrace they all lost their mouths, its just a fantastic view and the susnet was perfect. Food, drinks end service is perfect. We reccomend Cilento Trave and Italian Best Weddings for you who wish to organise your wedding in this place. They are local and know what they are doing. We would not have this great experience without them

1  Thank fanofitaly65
Reviewed 22 August 2010

In the summer of 2009, I and my now current husband visited Castellabate, we were looking for a place to have our wedding dinner and asked around in the city and got the suggestion that Il Caicco had excellent food and that the view was fantastic. That was an understatement!! The view was fabulous!! Like a picture, dream the best of Italy and you will see this. Well at the restaurant, we were met with seriousness and great commitment in what could be our dream wedding day.
With great love Il Caicco performed our wedding dinner, the 5 of June 2010 the sun shined and from the restaurants two terraces, family and friends looked out over to the beautiful Capri. The food was served in a comfortable pace and Il Caiccio had outdone themselves with both food and decoration of the two terraces.
The whole evening felt like a Hollywood film, a real fairytale, in which I and my husband had the leading roles. In the evening we wanted someone to sing during dinner, and did we get a surprise when the singer sang like a good opera singer! My Good, could the evening get any better?? The love in the air, the view, good food and happy people created a fantastic atmosphere that could only have been created just here at Il Caicco, and this is exactly what my friends still today are taking about!!
As you might understand we heartily recommend Il Caicco for your wedding reception.
With love