“Great place”

Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Cannot fault this place - surprised that some previous reviews indicate plenty of negatives.
The service was professional and the staffs' attitude excellent without being intrusive, rude or obsequious.
Standard double with frontal sea-view, very comfortable beds, great bathroom set up air conditioning and noise levels effective and reliable.
Breakfast selection impressive and the restaurant views over the Bay of Naples are lovely.
Restaurant choice is limited but, we ate there twice and found the food wonderful.
Use the hotel shuttle and public bus to access trains to Naples and Sorrento and everywhere in between - Pompei, Ercolano, Vesuvius are great side trips.
The spa is a welcome respite from pounding the pavements and/or the heat.
Bar well stocked but expensive.

Room Tip: Away from the traffic at the back.
2  Thank alma-pope

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Nice hotel with great views of the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius. The room was clean and spacious, the staff was helpful and friendly, with a free breakfast and a friendly bar.

The hotel is about 20-30km from the town of Sorrento. However, it's a pleasant drive.

1  Thank Wayne1011
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Wonderful hotel (great quality for the price) great pool and even a nice little private beach. Short and beautiful drive south to Sorrento. Staff were very accomodating. ...and the views!!! I loved sitting in my room and having a drink while overlooking the sea through the huge picture windows with Naples across the water.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank john d
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed there for a week exploring the area. The room was ok in seize, clean and bathroom reasonable. Wifi signal weak (you had to sit on toilet to get signal). Breakfast buffet very nice and plenty. The building interesting (converted cement factory) and the grounds beautiful. Large pool and own beach. Bit away from everything but then only a short walk from the (spooky) circumvesuviana train station. Also good bus connection to Naples airport. While the hotel has a few little flaws, once you sit on the balcony watching the sunset looking at Mount Vesuvius while sipping at you glass of local wine you can't help but love the place. We spend almost every night having room service dinner (not that expensive, though could have better choice) on our balcony. Can't get much better for location.

Room Tip: seaside balcony
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janpki
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We arrived here on our honeymoon so our first experiences were great. Nice room with a view of the sea and Mount Vesuvius, free bottle of Prosecco, overall a good start. The waiters at the bar were great and the views from the bar/cafe deck outside were beautiful. Some of the front desk people were very helpful, some not so much. More downsides:

- They offer free wi-fi for one hour and then anything after that is 3 or 4 euros per hour, if I remember correctly. This seemed ridiculous to me since they serve business guests and host conferences.
- The restaurant was fair at best. The view at night was great but we had much better food around Italy for much less. I recommend sticking to the bar food (it was good!).
- There's an older, scruffy medium sized dog wandering around the hotel, inside and outside, and apparently it's the "hotel dog" but we didn't know until we asked. For the first couple days we just assumed it to be a stray which we thought was a huge liability.
- The spa was nice but the massage was nothing to get excited about. I'm glad it was a special discounted price that day.
- But the worst part is we asked them to help us ship a few bottles of wine back home that we had purchased in Tuscany. They agreed and contacted a shipping company for us and said they would be there before 6:30pm to pick it up. They never showed up so the man at the front desk said they would keep trying. I give him an "a" for effort. The problem is that we were leaving the next morning so they agreed to ship out our wine first thing the next day. We had to catch our flight so we left the wine there assured that they would ship it. Our mistake - we realize that. After several emails, we still have no word on if the wine was shipped or if they opened it and drank it themselves. Even if they did that I don't care at this point, I just want to be compensated for those bottles.

Room Tip: Request a sea view room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TrvlngMexscotalian
antoniru, Direttore vendite at Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Guest,

we thank you very much for taking the time to review our Hotel.

Your comments and suggestons are extremely helpful to our job to help us improving the quality of the services we provide to our Guests.

Regarding the Dog, we inform you that Diana was the Hotel's dog. It was here since the Hotel was built, so it was like being at Home. This is the reason why it has never left the Hotel. However, since we had a lot of problems with some of our Guests, who did not like its presence, we have decided to move it to an alternative location. This is how we have solved the problem.

Regarding the most important think of your review, and I mean the shippin of the wine bottles, I have personally investigated with employees at the Reception to try to understand what happened, and now I have got all the answers for you.

1) Wine bottles have not been drunk by our Staff.
2) A UPS couries came at the Hotel collected the bottles and brought them to the Mail Boxes Office in Sorrento. Staff at Mail Boxes Office in Sorrento packed the bottles that are still there waiting to be shipped.

In order to complete the shipping, I would need you to get in contact with me through regular e-mails, and provide me your complete shipping address and a valid credit card number with the expiration date and the 3 digits secure code, for the payment. I will inform you of the amount to pay as well.

Please send me and e-mail to a.russo@sorrentocoasthotel.com

I will personally take care to inform the Mail Boxes office, and track your shipping.

The shipping process was stopped since Staff at Mail Boxes Office in Sorrento did not receive complete information for your home address and other useful information. This was the problem, and our Staff at the Reception was hoping to be contacted by you to check the shipping status. However it has been our mistake, and we do apologize for this problem

I do look forward to hearing from you back, and hope you might consider to visit our Hotel again in the future.

With Best Regards

Antonino Russo - Director of Sales & Marketing
Crowne Plaza Stabiae Sorrento Coast

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I'm a platinum member of the ihg club so when looking where to stay, the crowne plaza near Sorrento appeared to the top choice. This is a beautiful hotel, great views of Naples and Vasuvious and absolutely peaceful and tranquil. The service did not blow us away, it was ok, but we found that the service across Italy is not the same as you would find in the UK or America. They have a different way of doing things so I don't think it was necessarily bad service, but simply a different culture. I also found out the hotel closes in a few weeks so no doubt the staff are at the end of their seasonal contracts.

The girl with the dark hair was very bubbly and went above and beyond for staff. The waiter at the bar was great too. We found across Italy though that staff are not that engaging with tourists/customers. They will quite happily walk over to their colleagues and have a 15 minute chat before coming to serve you, or walk away as soon as they have answered your question, whether or not you had other questions. Therefore I would strongly urge anyone put off by the reviews of the service for this hotel to reconsider going elsewhere as this is typical to the environment and you wont find any better elsewhere.

We took the bus from airport to the hotel. It cost 8euros and picked up outside terminal 2 at naples airport. The bus took us all the way to the hotel, although we had to run across a very busy road and took us up to 15 minutes everytime we crossed this road. The bus was a great service and we got it again to go downtown into Sorrento again a day later.

On arrival, we were told we had been upgraded to a suite, which was beautiful. The room was large, had a massive bathroom with a bath which could have fit several people in. A large terrace/balcony attached to our room looked out onto the sea. Absolute bliss. It was nice to be recongised for my frequent use of the brand, which this hotel very much did.

The shuttle is a great service, its just a shame there wasn't more of it. If you miss the shuttle, it costs 15 euros to get to the local train station of Vico Esque. However I recommend going down to Stabia, its a couple of euros cheaper and faster. We walked down to stabia one day, which was quite easy and took about half an hour. However for evenings out or meals I recommend Vico... its a beautiful town. The best bit about the shuttle is that they have a pick up at 8pm and midnight from Sorrento train station. We used it every night and it was brilliant. One around 9/10pm would be good too as sometimes we didnt want to quite stay so late as midnight.

The restaurant is expensive and average food, but is ok and I'd say only go there if you are tired and don't want to leave the hotel. We went for lunch and dinner on the first day. Its very easy to get to other restaurants near by so I strongly urge you to go out elsewhere.

From this hotel is very easy to get to naples, pompei, herculaneum and sorrento by train. The trains run regularly, one every 20 minutes each way and easy to use.

Breakfast was 20euros per person per day, which is quite expensive, but once again we find this very typical across italy. It would have been good if the bar sold some snack food like pastries, just so those who didnt want to go for the full breakfast could buy a snack at the bar, as there is little else around and we went hungry until lunch time on most days.

Overall this is a brilliant hotel, beautiful property, comfortable, clean, great amenities and easy to get to other places around the area. My suggestions and criticism are minor, as we had genuinely a brilliant time. I'd definitely come and stay again and we had a wonderful time so thank you to the Crowne Plaza!

Room Tip: One of the suites on the front are lovely
1  Thank daveyh87
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Thank goodness we were only here 2 nights, it was awful from the start.
arrived from our flight about noon(we had left our last destination at 3am) no instructions on where to park the car , so after unloading our luggage ourselves we found our own space in one of the underground car parks.
Reception immediately told us no room ready for you until checkin time at 2pm.
we weren't advised to perhaps wait by the pool, terrace or anything so we sat in reception with our luggage. First seat I sat in was wet, I hopefully assume someone had come in from their pool , I moved to another seat and there we sat until exactly 2pm-then the mature gentlemen on reception gave us a key-no instructions on where to find the room or assistance with luggage, when I returned later to ask for the broadband code (I am a Crowne plaza member) he questioned me on my number despite the fact that I pointed out this was confirmed on my reservation.
Our so called seaview room looked onto a big cement column mostly blocking the view, our window looked onto the restaurant roof, this was dirty and had rubbish sitting on it.
Our waterside table for dinner was cancelled as we arrived 20 minutes late from a boat trip to Capri.
The male reception staff were incredibly rude and unhelpful, we were happy to leave. I had spent weeks choosing where to stay near Naples as my father was stationed there in the war helping to evacuate Vesuvius, it spoilt my visit.
thankfully the next family run hotel at Amalfi was great.. I cannot recommend this hotel awful staff, breakfast not great, pool cold, and seaview room a letdown

Room Tip: don't go
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magsrich
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear magsrich,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. We assure you that we are committed to delivering quality in all aspects of the guest experience and appreciate your feedback. I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered with your room accommodations and if the level of staff service during your travel weren't that at par with your expectations. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Zelyn N