“Charming!”
Review of Collelungo

Collelungo
Reviewed 21 April 2011

This little jewel is tucked in one of the most scenic areas of Tuscany. The apartments are attractive and immaculate (Franca works so hard to please.) The staff was extremely welcoming and did whatever possible to insure that our stay was memorable. In particular, Koutar was gracious, warm, and charming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without too many steps to cliimb
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathie C

Reviewed 11 March 2011

I ve just booked my second trip to Collelungo. Can't wait to be there. Real peace and relax in this corner of paradise, spectacular wine at the property and gorgeous food in the area. You cannot miss this jewel if you are travelling to Tuscany. It is a perfect place to discover all the area of Chianti, Siena, Florence, San Gimignano, but also the perfect home to be inside nature in total relax.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank susfaith
Reviewed 17 November 2010

We stayed at Collelungo end of August this year and had the most wonderful time in Tuscany.
Total peace and relax in stunning surroundings and very congenial hosts! Fabiola was very welcoming and hospitable and made everyone feel welcome. Lorenzo, the owner, took us around the property and made us discover the secrets of his winery.
The property is in fact a working farm. They produce a gorgeous Chianti Classico. It is set amidst rows of vines in a peaceful setting away from the main road. Our apartment Selva was a ground floor one, with a large bedroom and kitchen / sitting area. We also had a nice outside sitting area in a private garden. We made good use of the pool which was beautiful both day and night, and also made very good use of the honor bar and downed several bottles of Collelungo wonderful chianti.
A car is a must, as the property is about 5 minutes drive from Castellina in Chianti, but the roads round about are fairly quite and easy to manage. The location is ideal for day trips to places like Siena, Florence, San Gimignano, Volterra & Monteriggioni, as well as dozens of small charming medieval villages that are slightly off the beat & track. Try Volpaia and Vertine, very close to Collelungo. Stunning!
The beauty of the area and the excellent food and wine and the most breathtaking views of all Italy made this a wonderful, relaxing holiday and we really recommend you go and stay in Collelungo.
This is really the Tuscan paradise. It is everything and more. Try it!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank WagS12
Reviewed 9 November 2010

The perfect place for a vacation in Tuscany. The agriturismo is incredibly charming with old stone buildings perfectely renewed surrounded by vineyards. Fabiola was at the reception and was very friendly and helpful, and provided eating recommendations and driving directions. The location is central for all sight seeing in Tuscany. We were able to do easy day trips to Florence, Siena, Montalcino, San Gimignano and nearby towns and wineries of Panzano and Greve. It was harvest period in Collelungo and we were so lucky to have the opportunity to enter their winery and discover the process of making their wines. Gorgeous and unforgettable! We also took a bottle of Collelungo's great wine from the honor bar and sat in the lounge drinking wine, lietening to music and chatting with guests staying in another apartment. One sunny Sunday we did a nice BBQ on Collelungo's grill after buying a huge bistecca in Castellina together with other guests we met here. We didn't use it, but there is also pool. Definitely don’t miss this place if you travel to Tuscany.

Reviewed 30 October 2010

We stayed in Collelungo end of September and really can say this is an absolute fantastic place. Perfect for Tuscan lovers as it is so close to Florence, Siena, S.Giminiano and mid the chianti classico area. We could drive around and easily reach Greve, Radda and Gaiole, stopping at wineries for wine tastings.
Our apartment was spacious with a nice fireplace we used one night during our stay. The agriturismo is beautifully restored mid the countryside, all surrended by vineyards. We sat outside in the morning enjoying the sun and the great views, before setting off exploring the region.
Fabiola was very helpful and informative, provided great hints for restaurants and shopping.
We really liked the peaceful Collelungo and being away from the crowds was its highlight. We highly recommend a visit if you want to stay on a working farm. Harvest period was gorgeous!

1  Thank FriederikDreher
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I stayed in the Castellina area last year at a place that I just loved. This year, however, I decided to stay at a place that was closer to Castellina as I was traveling alone and didn't want to drive the windy roads by myself late at night. There were so many great reviews about Collelungo so I decided to book there, but was really disappointed. The apartment was really small. I had intended to enjoy the property and relax there during the afternoons, but the apartment was too claustrophobic and the grounds seemed to be deserted during the day. Additionally, because the property is built on a slope, there aren't a lot of outdoor areas to relax at. Finally, there was a really long dirt road that you had to take to get there which was a little spooky late at night. The girl who checked me in, Fabiola, was very nice and she tried to offer me a different apartment, but I didn't really like the other apartments either - none of them offered views that you could see while cooking or relaxing in the living room. I think if I was only going to be there 1-2 nights, it would've been fine, but I had booked 6 nights. After the 2nd night, I decided to move over to the place I stayed last year -- even though I would lose the 4 nights I had prepaid at Collelungo. So, I was so disappointed with Collelungo that I was willing to spend an extra $500 to relocate to another property. I'm not sure what other people have experenced here that left them so in love with Collelungo -- maybe it was their first time staying in the Tuscan countryside and they didn't have anything to compare it to -- but I was really disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 27 October 2010

Dear Guest

I'm really sorry to hear your disappointment about our place, and to hear it now and here...when we did our best to make you feel comfortable changing your appartment and showing you bigger ones available whitout asking you a penny for the change, even if the appartment you booked was one at the "entry level", which anyway is perfectly suitable for two people, and to see the next morning you left without saying a word....?!?!
We had other Guests during your short-stay, wich probably were in Florence, Siena and somewhere else for the afternoon....what did we have to do?
I remind you Collelungo is laying on a slope, it's Chianti, Tuscany and that there's a 2km gravel road to enter the farm; it's what makes our place so unique, with breathtaking views around and peaceful,away from the noisy roads........everything written on the e-mails we had at booking time, which you surely read.
Most of all I'm sorry because there's nothing I can try to do to make Collelungo suit your favour: no way to move it to a flat land or in the middle of a town...

Best regards
Lorenzo Cattelan

Reviewed 20 October 2010

We stayed at Collelungo for a week in September and loved it ! We stayed in the Montone apartment which really is the pick of them for size and privacy. We enjoyed the location of the estate - although you feel you were miles from anywhere, in fact you were only 5 minutes from Castellina.
A couple of minor gripes - the internet connection is sporadic at best and all the guests we met in the bar / common room were frustraed about this. Also the ovens are disconnected so it was impossible to cook meals requiring an oven ( such as lasagne ).
Despite this we enjoyed our time at Collelungo and would recommend it to others.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castellina In Chianti
Hotel Villa Casalecchi
Hotel Villa Casalecchi
#5 of 10 in Castellina In Chianti
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Riserva di Fizzano
Riserva di Fizzano
#6 of 37 in Castellina In Chianti
Borgo di Pietrafitta Relais
Borgo di Pietrafitta Relais
#4 of 37 in Castellina In Chianti

Been to Collelungo? Share your experiences!