“Five star experience in Tuscany”

Poderi Val Verde - Chianti Cooking Lesson
More attraction details
Owner description: i offer real hands-on cookery course - also vegetarian - of mostly typical Tuscan farmer's dishes using vegetables and herbs from my garden, eggs from my chicken, meat from my lambs or wild game from surrounding woods. dishes are selected depending on availability of ingredients and are easily reproduced at home for your family or friends. we do from a minimum of 4 to 7 or 8 dishes- depending on number of "cooks" - we do not make home-made pasta because timer-wise this would not allow us to make many other dishes and would reduce our "students" to an on-lookers status. we also do courses for children, provided they can reach over the counter top and are secure in handling knives. our rates (as of Euro 70 depending on type of course and number of participants) incl. 3 hrs. of cooking and dining as well as standard beverages . times: either 1100 to 1400 hrs or 1700 to 2000 hrs. monday through friday or on special request. a special highlight is the extended half day course - 10.00 to 1500 hrs.- which includes a visit to a local street market or other shopping facilities, eventually with a tastings of cheese and cold cuts , balsamico vinegar, local wine etc. - always on Tuesdays or Fridays - Euro 140 per person - We could also go "looking" for the ingredients - meaning a walk in the surrounding meadows and brush in search of wild green asparagus, field salads as well as herbs (in the spring, autumn and winter time) or a "hunt" for wild mushrooms (in autumn). Or simply come and cook - the choice is up to you.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We visited Ulrike in June 2014 and had a brilliant night that made our holiday. The food we cooked was superb and enjoyable but that experience was made outstanding by Ulrike, who, if she hadn't broken the ice with her outrageously fun personality within five minutes, could easily have done so when she plied us with some very nice Italian wine. I would recommend this activity without hesitation.

2  Thank Emma D

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was a great experience, Ulrike the owner of Poderi Val Verdi runs these cooking courses from her kitchen, my husband and I were joined by another Irish couple and Phil from the UK who was in Italy on his honeymoon, and we had a blast. Ulrike had us make a Italian farmhouse dish each, and after we all sat down to eat the spoils of our work. We were joined by Phil's new bride and some of the other guests who were staying in the apartments on the property.
We had a great night, the food, the wine and the company made this a great experience. We were glad that we were staying at the property so that we didn't have to make the drive home, after all the fun.
Must do if you have the time.

1  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My family and I had a wonderful time with Ulrike, learning to cook Tuscany food. The teenagers were made to read instructions, prepare the ingredients and cook their own dishes. Chopping, Slicing and Dicing. The kids fared much better than me, as I was a fish out of water in the kitchen. The dishes turned out excellently (you never know when amateurs such as ourselves are in the kitchen) and we finished every bit of it. The Tiramisu was the best that I had, and we scraped every last bit.

Most importantly, it was family bonding time. We loved it. Thanks Ulrike!

1  Thank Kevin_Chan9898
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I joined Ulrike for an afternoon in her kitchen along with one other guest. Ulrike had lined up six different recipes for us: Panzanella Salad, Chicken Liver Pate w/ Vin Santo, Peperonata, Sweet and Sour Wild Boar, Traditional Beef and Pork Ragu, and Panna Cotta. We had a blast drinking wine and getting to know one another!! She paid special attention to me, since I was a beginner, and I made the pate and panna cotta by myself from start to finish! We learned a lot about the history behind these very rustic dishes, too, which makes us sound like experts now when we make them at home. All in all it was an awesome, laid back day experiencing the relaxing Tuscan lifestyle.

1  Thank Cynthia G
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We wanted a authentic Tuscan cooking experience and found it, beyond our expectations, with Ulrike at Poderi Val Verdi. Her kitchen and farm are the "real" experience and one that we would not trade for anything. My husband and I had our two grown children, ages 21 and 23, with us and Ulrike put us to work preparing an excellent menu she had thoughtfully planned. We learned a lot during our evening and came to appreciate the beauty of Tuscan cooking. Ulriki is an excellent teacher, hard worker and delightful character. We count this day as one of our favorite of the two-week trip we took to Italy.