“Beautiful countryside spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Poderi Val Verde
Chico, Ca
“Beautiful countryside spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We were lucky to be part of the group celebrating the 30th anniversary of friends (see previous review) and stayed at Val Verde for 8 days.It is amazing that you can actually stay in such a picturesque place. Every time I walked to the villa from the parked car, I was shocked at how lovely the grounds, the rock walled buildings and the atmosphere were. It was such fun to have our "own" villa to cook in, relax in, stay up late drinking limoncello in.... and plan our next days' adventure. No, it wasn't a 5 star resort, and yes it was very tricky to find at first (especially in the dark) but that's not what we went there for. The vegie garden, the animals and Ulrike( the owner) all added to the charm of this lovely spot. It is quite centrally located to Florence and Sienna and a host of other small hill towns in Chianti. A car is a must to really see this part of the world. Ulrike was very helpful when my sister forgot her medication and arranged a speedy refill at the local pharmacy... quicker than any US pharmacy for sure! She also let us use her Co-Op grocery store discount card,attended a opera concert and after party with us, and took us on a wild, cross country drive to the sculpture park. (a must see!) As this was our first trip to Italy, we knew we would not be able to see it all. We concentrated on the Tuscany/Chianti area and after really living there (laundry,cooking, even a bit of sheep herding) we got a taste of what life is like in that area. We will just have to go back to see the rest on the next trip. I would not hesitate to recommend this spot for those who want a real taste of Tuscany.

Room Tip: Roads to many spots are gravel and it seems like you are lost all the time, but there at the end of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I stayed in "Il Rifugio" for 5 nights as part of an Italian vacation. The location of the villa was perfect for traveling throughout the region. We easily made day trips to Siena, Florence, San Gimignano and Montepulciano. The Chianti region itself was beautiful and Ulrike was incredibly knowledgable about restaurants and vineyards in the area! Our apartment was quaint and clean. We had everything we needed and it truly felt like we were staying in a traditional Tuscan home. We were originally concerned that the apartment did not have air conditioning, but the room stayed very cool - it would not have been necessary anyway. The property is breathtaking and is a real, working farm complete with many animals - friendly dogs and cats and a funny peacock named Roberto! One of the highlights of the trip was the cooking class we took with Ulrike. As a "beginner" cook, Ulrike took special care of me and was very patient in teaching me to make chicken liver pate and panna cotta. We would highly recommend Poderi Val Verde for those travelers looking for an authentic Tuscan experience! :)

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Fullerton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

For our 30th anniversary, we decided to rent Casa Pineda within Poderi Val Verde's verdant grounds. Our plan was to have 3 other couples stay for a week in one of the 4 bedrooms, with our dearest friends coming and going each week. Each bedroom was different and we had fun picking out which room best suited each couple. Each time we had guests arrive, we watched their eyes widen and all remarked that it exceeded their expectations, as it has us! Our host Ulrike has been invaluable in her recommendations and her help with anything we asked about. If you tell her what your interests are, she will likely have something to direct you to. I'm a sculptor, so she suggested the sculpture garden in the middle of the forest in Viagliale, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. She is also great at recommendations for other non-tourist spots and all the best, most romantic restaurants. Another wonderful treat are the sweet animals she has that freely roam the grounds...especially welcome when you have left your furry "kids" at home. We bought several of the jams she has in her cellar from fruit trees on the grounds and ALL were wonderful. As we had a handful of great chefs staying with us, we only had a few meals that she offers, but what we did have that was cooked by her was delicious. If you are lucky enough to come and stay here, you might ouch out and get her wild boar in plum sauce! It was out of this world! We are already planning our return trip! Thanks, ULRIKE, Toto, Joilla, all the kitties (outdoors only, so no allergy fears), the goats (actually Cameroon sheep that look so much like goats even Ulrike calls em goats!), chickens, geese, and a peacock! Another favorite memory is a group of us trying to catch an errant ewe to reunite with its mama. Every day a new magical experience awaits! Treat yourself to a stay that is unparalleled by any other trip you could imagine!
The town of Castellina is picturesque and not usually overrun with tourists. 25-30 minutes west is the town of Poggibonsi, from which you can easily and inexpensively reach Sienna, Firenze Rome etc. A great central location. 2 hrs to Assisi is well worth the time and its an easy and well-marked road back to your home away from home! Ciao!

Room Tip: The rooms with the best views are 3&4. The best room for mobility impaired is either 3 or 2, alt...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpaJunkiesRUs
Washington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

As a retirement present to myself, I spent three weeks in Chianti with Ulrike and her farm "family" at Poderi Val Verde. I did a lot of research prior to selecting a place to stay, and what sold me on Poderi Val Verde was the fact that it was a working farm that was over 300 years old, complete with animals, extensive garden and a live-on owner. It sounded totally charming and authentic, just like the Tuscan experience I was looking for... and I was not disappointed at all by what I found when I arrived!

I stayed at Casa Acacia, which could actually be sub-divided into two smaller "casas" but since I was there for an extended stay, the extra room was nice. I loved the fact that it had been an old sheep/goat shed with a hayloft on the second floor. Ulrike and her son did an amazing job remodeling it while maintaining all the charm of the old beams, original steps, etc. Bedrooms were very comfortable and I enjoyed the different colors of the rainbow every week when they changed the linens! I also enjoyed the cats dropping by for a visit and a quick pet, and being greeted by Ulrike's two very friendly dogs when I returned from my walks.

But the best feature was the sun porch or "winter garden"... I spent many hours out there reading, listening to music and enjoying the landscape with a glass of wine. The kitchen was well equipped, I had everything I needed and Ulrike was kind enough to stock it with some basics prior to my arrival. She also graciously took me into town the first day to the grocery store so I could fill in the gaps, even lending me her Co-op card so that I got a discount.

Aside from enjoying the farm and the hikes in town, I also took two of Ulrike's cooking classes, which were a fantastic experience. Ulrike is a great cook, which I knew from the delicious welcome dinner I had the first night. I'm definitely not, so I was definitely looking forward to learning some of her secrets. I'm not sure which was better, learning to cook authentic Tuscan dishes or getting to eat them afterwards! Both groups were really fun, I met some wonderful people and Ulrike was incredibly organized... she had various "stations" with all the ingredients needed laid out ahead of time and we were all assigned different dishes depending on our skill levels, with Ulrike there to assist when needed. Somehow she managed to get it to all come together in a wonderful dinner which we then got to enjoy. I'm taking all the recipes home and I can't wait to make them for my friends and share the tasty dishes.

Ulrike and her son were always around to answer questions or help with anything I needed, which was important because I was there by myself with no car. They both went far, far out of their way to be helpful and even included me in an outing with them to Siena which I really appreciated. In fact, I had a problem with some grossly inaccurate directions I had been given for a villa I had rented in a neighboring town for the three weeks after my Poderi stay, and Ulrike and her son drove me around the countryside for more than an hour until we were able to find the villa... they did it by triangulating on the landscape based on the view shown on the internet!! Needless to say I was very impressed and incredibly grateful... I don't know what I would have done without their help.

By the end of the three weeks, I found myself leaving with a new friend and many, many wonderful memories... it truly was the experience of a lifetime!

Room Tip: I had a chance to see Casa Capannina while I was there, and it was very nice too.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Susan9132013
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

What an experience! After planning for a year for our dream trip to Tuscany in July , It was finally here! In great anticipation of our 2 week stay we arrived at Poderi Val Verde. We were instantly in awe of the countryside, the gorgeous grounds, the rustic nature of this working farm, the animals freely roaming and crooning their sounds, the herb and flowers gardens so unstructured and beautiful, the beautiful refreshing pool, our very awesome( not modern) 300+ yr old farmhouses(s) “Casa Pineta” and “Casa Acacia”. Our connecting houses were perfect for ten of us ranging in ages from 24-72. The twenty somethings had private bedrooms downstairs where they were able to chill , do yoga, play guitar etc....with separate entrances/patios to come and go. We had more than enough beds and every room had its own bathroom. The beds are harder than in the US but oddly enough I discovered that I liked these better than my own.. If they are too hard Urlike is quick to accomodate to make you comfortable.
Most of our group used the farm as an anchor location to rest, relax , swim, hike, visit local wineries, go into Rada, Castellana, Pogabonsi, eat Gelato(sometimes twice day), shop, hike, enjoy the wine, catch the local vibe , ride our vespas . Frequently we would venture off a day or two to Rome, Venice, Cinque Tera, Croatia, Florence. No matter where we scurried off too we always looked forward to returning “home” to relax at the farmhouse.
Urlike is a passionate and wonderful host. She is one of a kind and definitely a big piece of the flavor of this farm. Her suggestions, sense of humor , and direct style are who she is. She comes from a sincere place of her wanting her guests to have the most memorable and fulfilling vacation possible. She has many ‘suggestions’ and “connections” and shares a wealth of information about farm life, food, Italy/Tuscany region, activities, transportation, restaurants, shopping, and her wisdom on life in general. She is passionate and hard working and truly loves this farm,region, and her guests. My advice would be to ask her for suggestions in advance or when you first arrive.
As other reviews have mentioned Urlike’s cooking is wonderful! Cooking class was a blast and Highly recommended, lots of wonderful secrets and tips!We enjoyed lots of wine and laughter in the kitchen. We shared our bounty for hours that evening on the outside patio under the Tucson moon with our entire family ( as we did every meal). On occasion- if you listen carefully you may even have the pleasure of hearing Urlike singing an aria from her bedroom window.
Urlike and her staff also catered the elaborate wedding buffet that we had on the patio overlooking the hills. It was truly so much more than we could have dreamed of( see wedding review)
If you are looking for an “ Authentic Experience” in a rustic farmhouse this is it. This is NOT a place for those that are “particular” or for those looking for perfection at every turn. We found the important stuff to be in tact: Accommodating hostess, cleanliness, quiet, amenities, quaint ,and delightful in every way. This farm was the highlight of our trip and definitely one that our entire family will share and cherish forever.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have recently had a week with family, including 4 children aged 3 to 11, and the whole experience was superb. Location is quiet but close enough to shops, restaurants etc and Siena which is beautiful is only half an hours drive. The accommodation is gorgeous, very peaceful, you can only hear animals & birds. The hostess with the mostess, Ulrike, goes out of her way to welcome you and make sure everything is in order and nothing is too much trouble. One of her 'welcome dinners' is a must as she is a fabulous cook and host. Could not fault this place and we will definitely be returning in the future. Many thanks Ulrike for making our holiday.xx

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Thank you , Thank you, Thank you Urlike and staff ! Let me just start by saying our daughter had been dreaming of a Tuscan wedding her entire life and I must tell you it was above and beyond what any of us ever dreamt it would be. It was beautiful and perfect and so authentic in every way. Arranging details from the US was a challenge and you were instrumental in assisting us with every little detail of the wedding, catering, photographers, musicians, chaplain, flowers, table design and decor, location etc....You made yourself available to us and we could not have had this turn out so memorable if it wasn’t for your help and your gorgeous farm for the setting.

The location was set on the balcony of Casa Pineta, overlooking the gorgeous grounds and pool of Poderi Val Verde. It was just before sunset and although it sprinkled for a moment , the rain quickly stopped as if it knew there was going to be a wedding. Robbie the resident peacock and a few furry friends added a unique touch to the scene as they gathered with the guests preparing for the ceremony. Our guests sat on red draped chairs surrounded by olive trees / flowers and candles. Sweet musicians serenaded us as the ceremony began.

Photographs followed. Some were taken on site at the farmhouse, as well as downtown Castellina, and a nearby vineyard . It was absolutely gorgeous and a photographers and brides dream.

The table was set beautifully outdoors on a large farmhouse table. The place settings were a mix of elegant with organic. The Menu was “Magnifico” and completely home prepared and catered by Urlike and staff. We chose the menu and wine selections in advance. The courses were many and executed so beautifully. We were served wines, cheese, bruschetta, olives, bread and farm grown olive oil, fruits, pates, lamb, lasagna, and on and on. We all enjoyed a local made ice cream/cake that was delivered right in time. We sat lavishing outdoors for hours under the moonlight enjoying the festivities, atmosphere, friends and family, music, dancing laughing and crying and drinking and eating. What a celebration!!!

And last but not least. We were on a budget. We could not have had anywhere near this kind of memorable experience back home. The cost was 1/4 of what it would have been in the states Urlike was our wedding planner partner as she arranged so many of the vendors and catering and details from afar. This is very affordable for those on a budget who are wanting an authentic, UNFORGETTABLE wedding experience I highly recommend a wedding at Poderi Val Verde.

If you are interested in more about our wedding experience please feel free to contact Urlike and can share our info.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family