Poderi Val Verde
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Hotel Il Colombaio(Castellina In Chianti)
View Hotel
La Petraia(Radda in Chianti)
View Hotel
Hotel Palazzo Squarcialupi(Castellina In Chianti)
View Hotel
Hotel Villa Godenano(Castellina In Chianti)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hotel Colle Etrusco Salivolpi(Castellina In Chianti)
View Hotel
Hotel Villa Casalecchi(Castellina In Chianti)
View Hotel
Locanda Le Piazze(Castellina In Chianti)
View Hotel
Villa Rosa di Boscorotondo(Panzano in Chianti)
View Hotel
All reviewscooking classstudio apartmentarchery rangefamily petsother guestsprivate terrace overlookinglocal marketdream vacationfully equipped kitchenred winetiramisuchianti areapastafabianulrichfarmhostess
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed for a week in the La Tana apartment as part of a three month European family holiday with our nine year old daughter.
The apartment was rustic but well equipped. We had some very cold weather during our stay. While heating was available, the owner Ulrike, advised it would be an expensive. Our stay would have been more relaxing if we had spent the extra!
There is no mobile/cell phone coverage at the property, but the wifi was good. The gardens were lovely with lots of spring flowers. Our daughter especially loved all the animals - dogs, cats, African sheep, even a peacock. We also saw deer and wild boar across the valley.
The property's location is good, located half way between Florence and Sienna enabling easy day trips to many surrounding towns.
Ulrike was very keen for us to attend a welcome dinner and a Easter picnic. We did so and enjoyed the experiences, though there are more economical options for food.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My family and I stayed at Ponderi Val Verde for a week this June as part of a larger trip to Italy. There were five of us (me, the wife and three children 18, 13 & 4) and we stayed in the large house (the name escapes me). To start the property is located about half way between Florence and Sienna just outside of Castillina in Chianti. We found the location to be perfect for visiting the surrounding region. It is an easy drive to Sienna and Florence and there are a lot of little towns in the immediate area that are nice without the tourist crowds. The local town has a nice grocery store and several nice restaurants.
The property itself beautiful and the care the owner puts into keeping it up and looking nice is obvious. The flowers and landscaping are abundant and the views of the valley around her property are not to be missed. The unit we stayed in had everything we needed (kitchen, bathroom, laundry room supplies, etc) and was more that spacious for our group. We actually could have stayed in a smaller unit but originally thought we would be traveling with a few of the kids friends in tow so I had reserved the bigger unit and just stayed with it when the plans changed.
While there are other people staying on the property in the other units they are all separated from each other and it was never an issue. We socialized with the other guests a few times and enjoyed their company and the diversity (American’s, Germans, New Zealanders). Several of them were repeat customers that come most years which was nice. They along with Ulrike (the owner) gave some great advice on things to do and places to go and when to go to them. This was a nice benefit as we typically would go over our daily itinerary with her each morning over breakfast.
On food we chose to the breakfast option, did the welcome dinner and the cooking class. The food in all cases was delicious and the family had a great time at the cooking class which we did on our last night and was a fun farewell dinner. I would definitely recommend them all but especially the welcome dinner. I assume most people spend check in day traveling so it’s nice not to have to worry about dinner on that first night and it gives you an opportunity to meet the other guests.
This is a working farm/ranch so there are lots of animals on the property such as dogs, cats, sheep, peacocks, chickens and we saw deer and boar on the property a few times. The kids had a great time with the animals and it was nice to have them there. I never found them to be in the way. They come around if you call them but were never intrusive so if you don’t like animals I don’t think it would be an issue, but that’s coming from a pet/animal friendly family.
All said we had a great time and based on the location, the property and the accommodations if I returned to Italy this is where I would stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Poderi Val Verde. Ulrike, with her menagerie of lambs, chickens, cats, dogs and the unforgettable peacock named Robbie, provides a uniquely Tuscan experience. The food she made on the first night was delicious and plentiful. We took a cooking class and have since made the entire meal at home for all our friends. Ulrike's recipes have been distributed around Alaska as everyone raved. Our children had a fabulous time at the villa swimming, playing table tennis and football, herding the lambs and seeing wild deer on the property. They didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I didn't stay at the hotel but did do an evening cookery course run by Ulrike. What a night ! Met some great people - an Ozzie couple and Irish couple, leant some great cooking tips and recipes - panzanella and the wild boar and radicchio pasta sauce are now 2 of my favourite dishes. Some fantastic hotel guests joined us to share the food. The ambience outside was amazing - watching deer wander through the Tuscan hillsides. The red wine and laughter flowed through the evening and Ulrike was a educator and a real character and lovely with it !! Would definitely go back for more ! Phil and Steph - the honeymooners !.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Poderi Val Verde was so picturesque and I loved being in the mountains. It was very quiet. The main sound you could hear was the goats' bells clanging as they walked around the hillside. I liked that they had badminton and a pool near our apartment. The dinner was really yummy and I liked the homemade jam at breakfast. I got a chance to hold the baby lambs and five day old chicks which were adorable. I also fed the chickens and played with the cats and dogs. I loved all of the nature surrounding the area. It was a breath of fresh air. It was a really fun week and it's a great place for kids to relax and have fun.

Room Tip: We stayed in La Tana and had such a comfortable setup and lovely view of the pool and the gamboling goats.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family