“Wonderful holiday in beautiful setting”
Review of Fattoria Tregole

Fattoria Tregole
UK
“Wonderful holiday in beautiful setting”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were in Chianti for a few days and couldn't have found a more perfect place. Setting on the terrace eating Edith's gorgeous home made food made with her own olive oil, accompanied by her Chianti Classico and followed by her own limoncello was bliss. The house is simply but beautifully decorated and Edith and her staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The wine tour was a highlight with the highly entertaining Dario! We will be back with family and friends so they can share the experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kirchlechner E, Proprietario at Fattoria Tregole, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Fattoria Tregole is a home in Chianti to relax and enjoy the peace of the nature around. I saw you slow down, have a look around and enjoy the atmosphere of our manor house. I have the feeling that you got the Quintessence of Chianti .You were wonderful guests !

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Seattle,Washington
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Fattoria Tregole was our family's favorite stay on our 2 week tour through Italy. We were the only visitors during our 3 night visit at the end of March so we were quite spoiled by wonderful Edith! We, along with our 3 adult sons and a girlfriend joined Edith and Margerita for a wonderfully entertaining and informative cooking lesson, an essential experience. It was certainly a compliment to Edith that shortly after returning from our trip, one of our sons sent a photo of a gnocchi making session with his roommates at college!
Our room had a seating area and roomy bedroom and our sons rooms were upstairs.
Lovely breakfast and eating area. Nearby seating area was comfortable for all of us to hang out together.
We also arranged for Edith to cook dinner for us. She was very accommodating and asked about food preferences. Her meals were delicious and so was the wine.
Tasting the wines at Fattoria Tregole is brought to an entirely different level if you arrange to have Dario give you a personal tour and tasting. A history of the 1000 year old location is included.Do not miss out on this experience! If you have a chance to also meet Dario in Sienna for an insider tour, do it. Amazing. He has had books about this area on the NYT best seller list! We were all enthralled....
It's easy to understand why Fattoria Tregole has so many repeat visitors. It's a very special and personal stay in a spectacular location overlooking the hills of Tuscany and within easy drive distance from many hilltowns.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hello, as I also have two children I really love it to see such a warm and close family and such a Chianti Italy fans. It was so much fun making the cooking class with you and it makes me really proud that the gnocchi arrived in the college and you exercise Tuscan cooking at home. Thanks for your review and all the best until your next visit. In the main time we will try new recipes for you!
Somerville, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Edith our teacher was fantastic and showed us how to make the most delicious egg pasta with a ragu sauce and the best chocolate torte I have ever eaten.

We can't wait to make these back in Aus!

It was a great experience and we will be back. We will also stay overnight next time, the rooms look amazing and the scenery was picturesque!

Thanks Edith for sharing your skills and recipes with us! We loved the class and enjoyed eating what we had made for lunch with your delicious wine!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kirchlechner E, Proprietario at Fattoria Tregole, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
hello it was a lovely cooking class with you . I saw you really love Italian cuisine. That made it also more enjoyable. I am sure you will surprise your friends and family with the chocolate cake and I hope you remember Fattoria Tregole until your next holiday in Chianti .Thank you for your nice review . I wish you all the best
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed with Edith in her B&B for one week in mid March. The weather was cool and crisp but we always found our rooms ( a large bedroom,a small bathroom and a medium sitting room) warm and snug. Edith was a most accommodating host. She gave us lots of advice on places, towns and restaurants to visit. She had a very thorough knowledge of the area and she made our stay varied and interesting. While there Edith cooked one meal for us (very good) and we had a meal I helped prepare in the cooking class (also very good and lots of fun to prepare). The views from our room were truly beautiful and the history of the house and surrounding buildings fascinating. A lovely Fattoria in a beautiful part of Chianti run by a most charming and knowledgeable host.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kirchlechner E, Proprietario at Fattoria Tregole, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Henry and Annie thank you for all your compliments ! Yes I try to give a bit of Chianti to my guests because I really love my region and my house and traveling means also take back new experiences and knowledge. So I hope you reloaded your batteries and your start at home was easy.
Thank's again and see you soon
Edith
Fallbrook, California
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Fattoria Tregole is a wonderul place to stay in the Chianti region. The setting is beautiful, the buildings and rooms are lovely and the owners are most helpful. We enjoyed a historical wine tour and a cooking class while we were there. Both added to our understanding and appreciation of the Region. The breakfasts were lovely and the view from the dining area beautiful. We highly recommend.

Room Tip: This quiet location is such that any room should be good.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
It's so lovely get your review .It makes us feel gratified for the efforts to make Fattoria Tregole a special place with a personalized service. We hope to welcome you again
Edith
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Hello, I want to start off by saying this place is truly one of a kind, Edith, the owner, is extremely generous and even opened up her place a week early so we could celebrate our engagement there as we came right at the end of dead season, We stayed for 2 days and I could have stayed even longer as it was so relaxing and there are so many other quaint towns around, with Sienna and Florence near by. We started off this part of our trip with the wine tour from the famous Dario Castagno , who has written several books about the Tuscan region. He is a historian that is passionate about the area and will fill your mind with so many facts, that you will go home feeling like you know everything about the Tuscan area. We did a wine tasting with him as he showed us the Fattoria Tregole property, We are not the couple that usually loves going on tours in museums and having to listen to every fact the tour guide tells you, but we could have listened to Dario for hours and hours on end. After the wine tour, we went straight to the dining room, as it was about 7 pm, and had the most amazing meal. This was the last part of our trip in Italy, so keep in mind, that we had already eaten at some fabulous, fancy restaurants, This outdid every single place. The first night, Edith (the owner) and Margarita, (her best friend and helps her cook), made us an excellent salad with fresh vegetables from her garden, homemade mushroom risotto followed by pork medallions marinated in a Chianti wine sauce, and then finished off with the MOST fabulous chocolate almond cake. It was one of the best chocolate desserts I have ever eaten and I have an extreme love for chocolate. The next morning, we woke up, and Edith had us breakfast made in the dining room and helped us plan our day to Sienna, which was a very cool city to see, We then drove the country side all with the help of Edith and came home around 2 PM to rest up as we had our cooking lesson with Edith and Margarita at 4PM. The cooking lesson was the highlight of my trip alongside the wine tasting with Dario because I learned so much but in such a fun way, You dont even need to know how to cook to be able to enjoy this as they are very hands on, For this meal, she gave me a few options. She pays close attention to detail as we had mentioned that we weren't very big coffee drinkers when we first arrived, so she tweaked the tiramisu to be a strawberry rum tiramisu, instead of coffee, Thatt ms one word i would describe about this place. Detailed. Not only is it detailed, but it is so cozy and nice and the views are simply breathtaking, Back to the cooking lesson...after she gave me a few options, here is what i chose. We made homemade bruschetta with fresh olive oil from their olive trees and tomatoes from their garden. We then made handmade pasta which was very hard for a first timer but Edith walked me thru it and helped me feel like i was the new Julia Childs! One great thing to note is that Italian cooking is quite basic compared to French cooking, They use minimal ingredients and rely on the freshness of the ingredients and the combination of the ingredients and how they taste when put all together. With the pasta, we made a homemade ragu sauce. In America, we think of the red meat spaghetti sauce which i absolutely hate! So at first i was somewhat skeptical of the ragu sauce and told Edith about my concern and she was extremely accommodating. But the more we started cooking it, the better the smells and the better the look. Edith said that a true ragu sauce should almost be the color or the meat, not bright red like we have it in America. That is because we include food dyes and what not to make it look like what we think it supposed to appear. For the ragu sauce, it was quite simple. We used lean ground beef, olive oil, fresh tomatoes that had been picked from her garden in the summer, and sealed with basil and water to let the tomatoes become even softer. If you dont understand what I am talking about here, think going to buy a can of tomatoes from the grocery store, Except this was homemade and picked from her local garden in the back yard. We added a few spices to the ragu sauce and then let it simmer while we worked on our next pieces. For the main course, we had hammered chicken to make it thinner and covered it with flour and then sauteed it in olive oil. We served it with a white wine lemon sauce with fresh sage, again picked from their garden! We served this with fresh zucchini (again from the garden) and cooked it on simmer with some olive oil, so it was so tender and almost melted in your mouth. I didnt think i liked zucchini until i tried Edith's! We then began making strawberry tiramisu with the berries soaked in rum to get it the moisture we needed, Now I am not a huge tiramisu fan but oh my goodness was this delicious. We made fresh whipped cream, chopped chocolate so we had chocolate shavings, and the strawberries gave it such a unique finish that we had never had back in the States. I told my fiance, I had never seen him eat so fast....he cleaned his plate on every meal and the cooking was oh so tasty but didn't require a ton of ingredients which makes it more cost effective at the grocery store. I do think for me as a girl, the cooking lesson was the highlight of the trip to Edith's, but even if you arent a good cook or dont enjoy cooking, just give it a try. I think you might surprise yourself. It's also a lot more fun when you have Italian Prosecco to drink the entire time!

Overall, I would describe Edith's place as a hidden gem in the Tuscan area with the focus on the little details that take it from 5 stars to 6 stars (even though 5 is the highest!) She had a career in restoration of old buildings, so when she and her husband purchased this about 10 years ago, she added all the right touches but kept the Tuscan charm. My fiance and I have done some extensive traveling, and this by far, was one of the most relaxing, most unique experiences. I can't sing Edith's praises enough. She was such a lovely lady whom we both enjoyed talking to and learning about her background and she was so personable and friendly with us that we felt so comfortable talking to her about our engagement and our lives back in Dallas, TX. Their wine was delicious too, and is certified to meet the Italian Organic standards, which you will learn is quite the challenge to meet. We loved the wine so much, we shipped a case back to the States with us! All in all, this simply made our trip to Italy complete, and I think had we not done it, we would have come home and not been near as excited to share our once in a lifetime stories! Fattoria Tregole is the place to stay. The amenities are nice and she stocks the mini fridge with coke (for us Americans) along with many different juices. There is nothing negative I could even write about this place as our experience was 100% positive! Thank you again to Edith and all who helped put Fattoria Tregole to life!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kirchlechner E, Proprietario at Fattoria Tregole, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hi Julie and Dylan what a great review ! I am very happy that you had such a good time in Tregole with us and Julie you are really near to become the new Julia Childs . You remember so well all the recipes. I Wish you a lot of good meals with who you like most sipping our Chianti Classico!
All the best from Edith and of course from Margherita
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at Fattoria Tregole in July 2012 and I can't believe its taken me this long to write a review. This place is absoloutley WONDERFUL!

We had a bit of a nightmare journey driving the hire car to Castellina In Chianti (this involved a misplaced wallet and getting a little lost on italian roads) so we only arrived at around 2am. Our hosts were so understanding and waited up for us to arrive, welcoming us with a huge smile (we can't thank you enough!).

When we awoke the next morning we were gobsmacked! This place is just stunning and exactly what you dream of.... Rolling hills with vineyards, olive trees, beautiful gardens with lavender bushes dotted around giving off the most beautiful scent. The farmhouse is romantic and rustic, the rooms large, airy and beautifully decorated. And the infinity pool is just the perfect place to relax..

Fattoria Tregole is really well situated to explore the Tuscan countryside and also visit Florence, Siena and San Gimignano.

Truly amazing stay.... highly recommend,

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kirchlechner E, Proprietario at Fattoria Tregole, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
After all that time we are still in your heart ! Thats wonderful ! A great hello from all of us and I really hope to welcome you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castellina In Chianti
Hotel Belvedere Di San Leonino
Hotel Belvedere Di San Leonino
#2 of 10 in Castellina In Chianti
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Hotel Palazzo Squarcialupi
Hotel Palazzo Squarcialupi
#4 of 10 in Castellina In Chianti

Been to Fattoria Tregole? Share your experiences!