“Worst experience of our trip”

Agriturismo Podere Bello
Sydney
“Worst experience of our trip”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We visited this place on a day trip from Rome with a tour group of around 15 people.
The appetisers were provided only to promote their retail lines and the main meal was terrible. But that was not the worst part. The manager or owner (not sure of his position), Antonio, was the rudest man I have ever come across. His female assistant was also well trained in rudeness.
I had asked her early in the meal if I could have some olive oil for the dry bread that had been waiting on our table since before we arrived. She never brought it, so as I could see it on the table at the front of the restaurant, I got up to get it myself. Antonio yelled to me "NO, put it down. You ask me first. Sit down, do not touch!" I replied I had already asked for it to which he yelled back in front of the entire group 'NO, you ask me". After I sat down he then brought it over and slammed it down on the table. I was disgusted at this behaviour! Never have I experienced such terrible "hospitality".
At the end of the meal my husband and I went to take some photos outside while the rest of the group were finishing their meal. The assistant stopped us in our tracks and told us we could not leave without paying for our drinks. I told her we would be straight back and pay then to which she replied "NO, you pay now". Then Antonio came over and started yelling at us in Italian. We only had a 50 euro note to pay 5 euros for the drinks. He said "No, no change" and offered us 30 euro change. We refused and told him he could have 5 euros or nothing at all. He stomped off, found another 15 euro change and then threw it at us and then told us to get out of the restaurant. He then yelled at the tour guide about some Americans who had left a few weeks ago without paying first for their drinks. We also discovered that he had short changed most of the other tourists in the group too. What a rip off! This man obviously detests tourists and is not afraid to show it.
Do yourslef a favour and do not even think about going to this place for food or accommodation. They do not deserve your business!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Curtai311

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I went to Podere Bello with a promotional coupon and I had no expectation about it.
The rural home is very nice, rooms are clean and cosy...a good point to start for a tour in the area.
My opinion is that this is not the classic farm hotel but a B&B, because there is not a restaurant room or a reception desk.
You can meet the owner just at check in and at the check out, and if you need something in your room this could be a problem (probably it was just a unlucky case but in our bathroom there was no toilet paper).
As regards meals, to have a lunch or breakfast you need to go in the close restaurant, that is a public place opened to everyone, and to have a table at dinner you have always to repeat "I'm from Podere Bello" to waiters.
We had a promotional coupon so we had the right for a free dinner with a precise menu.
The waiter was a newbie and give us the wrong menu, we ordered different meals....so at the end we have to pay.
So in my opinion is a nice B&B with coordination problems

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Madrid
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We had a tour that took us to Cartona and to Montepulciano, the tour expensive believe lunch would have been a nice one... They took us to Podere Bello and it was the worst pasta and service we received in Italy. Just penne pasta with a very light tomatoe sauce and a wine that was more vinegar than wine... On top of that they were making fun of us tourist. I understand Italian and they were saying things like "just give anything to this Americans, they eat crap anyways".... That was SO DISRESPECTFUL! And the tour company will never take it again because they support this type of behavior and ripp us off!

• Stayed May 2009

#1 of 2 in Torricella di Magione
Poggio Verde
Poggio Verde
#27 of 64 in Castiglione del Lago

Been to Agriturismo Podere Bello? Share your experiences!