“Good”

Ranked #71 of 182 Hotels in Cattolica
manchester england
“Good”
Reviewed 29 July 2009

If you want a 4* hotel then don't go to this hotel as it does not reach this standard.
The rooms are basic and clean. Food is excellent although variety was poor. (scrambled egg and bacon or continental breakfast everyday) The evening meal started off as excellent then declined throughout he week.
The staff are unfriendly, unless you can speak italian then they can't do enough for you.
The beach isn't far and its clean and has plenty of facilities, there is a fee of 6 euros for a umbrella and sun bed, if you book for the week it works out cheaper. Do not go to beach 42 as recommended as its one of the furtherst away and no cheaper, although you are told at the welcome meeting you get a discount. You don't the rep is getting a backhander.
Do go on the walkabout with the rep as you get to see the highlights of the town.
Do go on the Italian night at Gradara (eat and drink as much as you like)

What your not told is for 35 euros you can keep your room until 6pm and you also get your evening meal. You can also swap your evening meal for lunch if you wish to eat out in the evenings.
What i would say is the four courses you get will leave you stuffed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lily1772

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Barnsley
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Firstly, thank you Kristal for clarifying that I was NOT criticizing Hotel Madison! I found this hotel cozy, homely, very clean with a great location and MOST of the dishes served were excellent. On reflection, I feel I need to clear a few points I initially made and now that I have overcome my disappointment, my gripe with my holiday to Cattolica was the fact that nothing at all was open at that time of year. This meant that we were confined to the hotel early every evening as there was nothing to do and the streets were in darkness, making us feel unsafe. Imagine staying at the coast over here in January? For that reason, I would not recommend this holiday to guests considering going there out of season. Also, beach walks were a little awkward as there was quite a lot of debris on the beach which was in the process of being cleaned away while we were there so we did feel a bit rude and in the way of the guys clearing the debris away. Otherwise, I should imagine that, during peak season, the beach and it's facilities are 1st class. Went to San Marino, beautiful. Walking up to the three seperate castles is exhilarating! Did not go on any other excursions though as they were cancelled due to a lack of bookings. Oh, have recently been told that I was probably scorned upon by local women as I was dressed in bright colours and not the traditional blacks appropriate to that region at that time of year! Can forgive now that I am aware. So, now I am in a better mood and a little older and wiser, would i go again?....................mmm.............. yeah, a suppose so......not in May though............and not with my partner!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ineedabreak27
leeds
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Please notice that the reviewer from Barnsley wasnt really saying anything negative about the hotel Madison, he or she was more upset that Cattoilica didnt live up to their expectations! Or Italy for that matter.
Well for me it was better than imagined, I was apprehensive but needn't have been. The whole experiece was an excellant one. Loved Cattolica, most certainly would go back to the Maddison with our family.
Although its true their season doesn't really start till June, position is what adds extra ratings for this hotel. Position wise it was far better than the Hotel San Marco, fountains area. When we looked in this hotel we were glad we paid less and stayed at the Maddison, pictures can sometimes make things appear better than they are!
A straight line walk to the railway station, a market if you like them comes and its a short walk away, such a lovely harbour on your doorstep......
Now to what matters to me crisp, white clean cotton sheets Mmmmm and changed every other day I think. Comfortable beds, no back ache while I was there.
Food very tasty, a lot to choose from with 4courses. Good mix of people of which I never heard any of them complaining, made for a relaxing holiday. Just writing about it is making me wish I was back there now.
Walking along the beach was fasinating, I certainly wasn't bored.
San Marino was well worth a visit, Riccione too, Gradara and do take one of those little train things to Gabicci Monte.
Enjoy YOUR holiday

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank krisal
Wrexham
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I don't understand some of the bad reviews, the hotel is fantastic and we (4 of us) are going back there this year again. Italy is a fantastic country and Cattolica is brilliant with easy access to lots of other places. Really can't understand the negative reviews don't let them put you off.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank WelshLady78
Liverpool
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I stayed there last august with my daughter, her partner their 3 children (ages 10,2 & 15mths) as well as her partners brother. We arrived in the early hours of the morning to be greeeted by a lovely swimming pool. Our rooms where small, but we didnt need any bigger, these rooms where spotless,the only drawback was we could have done with more drawer space.
Breakfast each morning was by the pool, excellent, the staff were so friendly & obviously adored children which was great. The evening meal was excellent as well but I'm afraid I just could not manage 4 courses each night, we stayed 1/2 board. What I did like was that you could choose to have your main meal at lunchtime instead of the evening.
The bar/lounge area was clean spacious and so comfortable. The area that the hotel is located in seems to be the old part of thetown very close to the harbour. It is the kind of place I will definately choose to go back to

• Liked — THE WHOLE WELCOMING ATMOSPHERE
  • Disliked — NOT ABLE TO SWIM LATE IN THE EVENING
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LiverpoolTwinkletoes
wirral
Reviewed 28 August 2008

We visited the Madison in August 08. 2 adults and an eleven year old child.. Really enjoyed our holiday at this hotel. If you are looking for a quiet holiday, then this hotel is an excellent choice. if you like a lively holiday then Cattolica is not for you.
Cattolica is very Italian and many italians holiday there. There are lots of markets and shops to browse, bars and restaurants to watch the world parade by. The ice cream shops are absolutely gorgeous. every flavour you could think of and large scoops for a euro each flavour. Shops range from expensive designer shops to tourist souveniers. The Italians like their fountains and there are many to view. In the main square a free nightly display is put on where the water "dances" to music. This draws a large crowd along with the street entertainers.

We booked through Thomas Cook who are the only tour operator to fly to the resort, but i believe Ryanair also flys to Rimini. The transfer to the hotel takes around 20 minutes. However the Thomas Cook flight times to the resort are poor. The only return flight from a family resort is 01:15. They were changed at the start of this year after we had booked. Tour rep Charlene was excellent and explained how to get the best from the resort, had organised free walks around points of interests in the town providing free samples of food and drinks as you went. She even had prepared street maps with main points of interest highlighted and times of events clearly given. How a welcome meeting should be, information about the resort and tours highlighted.
The hotel rooms are small like all rooms in Italy. Not too much of a problem though. Very clean and the beds were comfortable.
The pool area, which not all hotels have, was of a decent size for the hotel. We stayed in the hotel but there are also self catering apartments. Most Italians go the private beaches so it was us brits around the pool. The pool is not heated and is a bit cold getting in but you get used to it quiet quickly. Staff in the hotel are excellent and very customer focused. All spoke adequate English but appreciated attempts of a few words of Italian. English is not always spoken by shopkeepers however but good old pointing got you what you wanted.
Breakfast was continental style so no full English. We ate dinner everyday in the hotel as the food was of a high standard and very reasonably priced. Spag Bol €4.50 for a plate full. Evening meal is excellent. You help yourself to a very large salad selection. The waiter then brings you your chosen pasta course and then your chosen main meal once you have finished each course. Everybody we spoke to thought the meals were excellent. The selection of main meal might not appeal to some children, however ask the waiter when choosing your meals for something like chicken and chips and this is no problem. Even if you didnt like your choice of meal, you were offered another option. Excellent customer service. After these 3 courses you raided the desert tables. Absolutely gorgeous and so much choice. Staff served you the cakes so no finger marks in the cream. You could get as much as you wanted no problem.

Never went on any trips as didnt fancy 8 hours travelling for 4 hours in Venice, Rome or Florence. There is a theme park near by called Mirabilandia if you like that sort of thing. You have to book with the near by travel agent though for your tickets and coach journey.Taxis and petrol are very expenssive in Italy. Petrol even dearer than here. There is an amusement arcade 100 yards away from the hotel which has lots of different games machines to suit all. Hotel is only a couple of minutes walk from the beaches and the harbour. The free beach is by the harbour which has your working vessels and big expensive yachts moored there. Another town, Gabbicce Mare is only 400 yards away across the river which is similar to Cattolica. You eother cross by a bridge or pay 40 cents to cross the river on a ferry.

Overall an enjoyable holiday and would definately go back to this hotel again.

Stayed August 2008
3 Thank WirralJohn
UK
Reviewed 5 July 2008

We stayed in a larger size apartment on the 4th floor and we had lovely views of the harbour from our balcony. The apartment was clean if a little small. There wasn't really enough space for all the equipment. The microwave was sat on a cupboard about 6ft off the floor. It was fine really because we don't actually cook when we're on holiday. We took our 2 small children with us and a travel cot was provided.

The children were in the bedroom and we took the sofa bed for the first night. In the morning we both woke up barely able to move because the sofa bed springs didn't seem to work anymore. The 2nd night we tried the matress directly on the floor but as the matress was really thin it wasn't much better. The 3rd night I slept in the children's room in the spare bed and the other half slept on the single chair bed. Unfortunately the chair bed was broken too so he didn't get a good nights sleep. For the rest of the holiday the OH took the spare bed and I slept on the sofa because being only 5ft 2 I could fit on and be fairly comfortable. I felt like a teenager again crashing on a friends sofa! I really wouldn't recommend booking an apartment if you intend to use the sofa bed.

The swimming pool did not feel heated at all so was too cold to swim in and was empty almost all week. The children played in the jacuzzi pool which was warmer but they couldn't really swim which is what they wanted to do.

There are a few toys outside like playhouses and a couple of small bikes. Insside there is s aplayroom which has a fair few toys. Some larger ones like and easel with chalk and a play kitchen and then smaller toys which a lot looked like they'd be left behind. We borrowed a couple of spades for the week to take to the beach which saved buying them.

We didn't eat at the hotel at all because there are so many lovely places to eat in the area we wanted to be out and about. It is in a great position and the beach was safe. We didn't bother paying to go on the beach, we just found a free section which was fine.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — The sofa bed
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family