“Major disapointment”

Ranked #73 of 182 Hotels in Cattolica
Lahti, Finland
“Major disapointment”
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Hotel is classed as 4 star hotel, but the room was actually suprisingly small. We where on our trip in Italy in 3 different 4 star hotels and the room was clearly smallest, dirtiest and dullest. We actually asked the hotel to clean the floor and under the bed as under the bed there was really much dirt. This bed is not going all the way down to floor so you can actually see the dirt and our little child could not be kept on floor at all. But unfortunately even after asking they didint clean the floor or under the bed even once in our 4 days stay in the hotel. Well atleast no need to leave tip for the cleaners :).
Also we used car parking facilities and there was a pipe leaking over the car so we had a wet car as well.... thank god it was a rented car and we only had the car there for 4 days.
One of the annoying things was that they had a show one night that took until midnight and we where sleeping with our 8 months old girl in first floor so it was impossible to sleep. Its completely unaccectable to have major noise and prevent guests for sleeping at midnight especially in a family friendly 4 star hotel. Then i asked from the reception if they have own beach zone and he said no... later on i noted that the hotel had one. I also asked directions to San Marino and they just told go to turist information (This is major destination in Rimini region) which i also did find quite poor service. They should know in reception these things. I dont think i received even one friendly smile from the staff in the 4 days stay att the hotel...
The elevator didnt work well and when we where leaving the elevator door did not work. That was annoying. Also there was simply nothing of 4 star value... why to pay over 100 euro per night for such an avrage hotel?

Also the location compared to central cattolica was suprisingly poor even tho it wasent that far away.. it was close to beach, but almost every 4-5 star hotel in cattolica is close to beach...

Good things are in short supply but the prices in the hotel where ok and the pool was ok and the breakfest was ok.. None of these where of really good standard.

I will only give this 1 star as this was so big disapointment compared to money spent and the official 4 star rating. If i would rate this without these in mind i would give this hotel 2,5 stars.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank HansThim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2009

brilliant selection of food for lunch/evening meals - 4 course.- why go eleswhere even though there were some good restaurants nearby.
b'fast ok - sees you through for a while.
rooms which were allocated- 2nd time, were clean and of reasonable size for double bed and bunkbeds Those seeking deserted sandy beaches - Forget it - hope you enjoy the company of many around your sun bed!! beaches clean and safe for kids.
Pool good size and clean great if you swap betrween pool and beach its so close!!
But its the putting out of towells on the sun beds when going for breakfast that annoys me - should be banned.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank zasiura
manchester england
Reviewed 29 July 2009

If you want a 4* hotel then don't go to this hotel as it does not reach this standard.
The rooms are basic and clean. Food is excellent although variety was poor. (scrambled egg and bacon or continental breakfast everyday) The evening meal started off as excellent then declined throughout he week.
The staff are unfriendly, unless you can speak italian then they can't do enough for you.
The beach isn't far and its clean and has plenty of facilities, there is a fee of 6 euros for a umbrella and sun bed, if you book for the week it works out cheaper. Do not go to beach 42 as recommended as its one of the furtherst away and no cheaper, although you are told at the welcome meeting you get a discount. You don't the rep is getting a backhander.
Do go on the walkabout with the rep as you get to see the highlights of the town.
Do go on the Italian night at Gradara (eat and drink as much as you like)

What your not told is for 35 euros you can keep your room until 6pm and you also get your evening meal. You can also swap your evening meal for lunch if you wish to eat out in the evenings.
What i would say is the four courses you get will leave you stuffed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lily1772
Barnsley
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Firstly, thank you Kristal for clarifying that I was NOT criticizing Hotel Madison! I found this hotel cozy, homely, very clean with a great location and MOST of the dishes served were excellent. On reflection, I feel I need to clear a few points I initially made and now that I have overcome my disappointment, my gripe with my holiday to Cattolica was the fact that nothing at all was open at that time of year. This meant that we were confined to the hotel early every evening as there was nothing to do and the streets were in darkness, making us feel unsafe. Imagine staying at the coast over here in January? For that reason, I would not recommend this holiday to guests considering going there out of season. Also, beach walks were a little awkward as there was quite a lot of debris on the beach which was in the process of being cleaned away while we were there so we did feel a bit rude and in the way of the guys clearing the debris away. Otherwise, I should imagine that, during peak season, the beach and it's facilities are 1st class. Went to San Marino, beautiful. Walking up to the three seperate castles is exhilarating! Did not go on any other excursions though as they were cancelled due to a lack of bookings. Oh, have recently been told that I was probably scorned upon by local women as I was dressed in bright colours and not the traditional blacks appropriate to that region at that time of year! Can forgive now that I am aware. So, now I am in a better mood and a little older and wiser, would i go again?....................mmm.............. yeah, a suppose so......not in May though............and not with my partner!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ineedabreak27
leeds
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Please notice that the reviewer from Barnsley wasnt really saying anything negative about the hotel Madison, he or she was more upset that Cattoilica didnt live up to their expectations! Or Italy for that matter.
Well for me it was better than imagined, I was apprehensive but needn't have been. The whole experiece was an excellant one. Loved Cattolica, most certainly would go back to the Maddison with our family.
Although its true their season doesn't really start till June, position is what adds extra ratings for this hotel. Position wise it was far better than the Hotel San Marco, fountains area. When we looked in this hotel we were glad we paid less and stayed at the Maddison, pictures can sometimes make things appear better than they are!
A straight line walk to the railway station, a market if you like them comes and its a short walk away, such a lovely harbour on your doorstep......
Now to what matters to me crisp, white clean cotton sheets Mmmmm and changed every other day I think. Comfortable beds, no back ache while I was there.
Food very tasty, a lot to choose from with 4courses. Good mix of people of which I never heard any of them complaining, made for a relaxing holiday. Just writing about it is making me wish I was back there now.
Walking along the beach was fasinating, I certainly wasn't bored.
San Marino was well worth a visit, Riccione too, Gradara and do take one of those little train things to Gabicci Monte.
Enjoy YOUR holiday

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank krisal
Wrexham
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I don't understand some of the bad reviews, the hotel is fantastic and we (4 of us) are going back there this year again. Italy is a fantastic country and Cattolica is brilliant with easy access to lots of other places. Really can't understand the negative reviews don't let them put you off.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank WelshLady78
Liverpool
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I stayed there last august with my daughter, her partner their 3 children (ages 10,2 & 15mths) as well as her partners brother. We arrived in the early hours of the morning to be greeeted by a lovely swimming pool. Our rooms where small, but we didnt need any bigger, these rooms where spotless,the only drawback was we could have done with more drawer space.
Breakfast each morning was by the pool, excellent, the staff were so friendly & obviously adored children which was great. The evening meal was excellent as well but I'm afraid I just could not manage 4 courses each night, we stayed 1/2 board. What I did like was that you could choose to have your main meal at lunchtime instead of the evening.
The bar/lounge area was clean spacious and so comfortable. The area that the hotel is located in seems to be the old part of thetown very close to the harbour. It is the kind of place I will definately choose to go back to

• Liked — THE WHOLE WELCOMING ATMOSPHERE
  • Disliked — NOT ABLE TO SWIM LATE IN THE EVENING
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LiverpoolTwinkletoes