“cefalu sea palace Cefalu Scilly Italy”
Review of Cefalu Sea Palace

Cefalu Sea Palace
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Cefalu
herts
“cefalu sea palace Cefalu Scilly Italy”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

cefalu sea palace Cefalu Scilly Italy

We decided to go for week in August and go package which is not something we normally do. We went with Thomson’s and were quite adamanent that we were not going to pay for any add ons which included securing seats together and paying in advance for additional luggage allowance.

There were no issues on check in, and true to their word there were no guarantees regarding seating together. We were given seats opposite each other which was no problem. But if you are with a family and/or want to sit together then im afraid paying the extra is the only guarantee.

Again, these days if you go charter you have to pay extra for a meal, we ate at the airport and loaded up with nibbles etc. The flight was around 2 ½ to 3 hr flight and was trouble free. My only critisism was throughout the duration of the fright it was freezing. The cynical side of me thought this was a deliberate act so that we would buy over inflated hot drinks ( I did!)

Arrival at the airport was fine, staff started checking passports and finally got bored and just waved everyone through which helped a lot. Thomson have obviously got things together as there were no issues in getting on the wrong coach etc. Everything was explained to you, at times I thought I was being treated like a child but can’t complain the whole transfer process was hassle free. The downside was transfer time which was about 2 and bit hours but we knew this anyway so there was no shock factor, it’s just something that some people may not like.

The hotel is situated on the sea front and with its own private beach. If you are looking for Caribbean white sand, you will need to holiday in the Caribbean to experience that kind of beach. The main thing is that the beach is clean but like most European beaches at that time of year incredibly crowded. A plus is that the hotel does not charge its guests for hire of umbrellas and sunbeds. There is also a nice little beach café which we used a few times for lunch.

The hotel itself is spacious and clean. The foyer is large and open and the front house staff are always very friendly and approachable. We were not expecting a room with a view and we were not disappointed as we had a view of a grassy knoll, however it wasn’t all that bad as we were hardly in the room. There is a decent sized balcony and the room was quite large with both a shower and bath. There was plenty of wardrobe space, but strangely enough no draws.

Breakfast was not extensive, but I would say more than adequate and they made an effort if you had an early start by laying out the basics.

The pool was a decent size, and there were never any problems with not having enough sunbeds. There was a whirl pool but cant comment as I did not use. The first Beach towel is allocated for free but thereafter you have to pay 3 euros for each subsequent replacement.

The one thing I couldn’t get my head around was the wifi. The only place this was available and was free was the foyer. There was nothing in the bar and pool area. If you wanted to make money surely you would have it on the more communal areas where you were selling something but that maybe just me. The hotel are also quite anal on people bringing food into the premises, im not talking about picnic hamper’s but anything from soft drinks to crisps. The room has a fridge and if you put anything in it, it is removed and thrown away. On the odd day I was using the wifi in the foyer you could observe the stealth activity of people with badly disguised contraband tucked in towels etc.

I would say that the hotel was nicely situated. It was a pleasant 15 minute stroll to the old medieval town which was great. The town was what you would expect cobbled streets buildings close to each other, full of charm and character. The town seems quite extensive but as someone who has really no sense of direction I did not get lost once. The restaurants are tripping over themselves but I can honestly say we didn’t have a bad meal and the prices were fair.

One of the specialities was basically an ice cream sandwich which was contained in a brioche roll and loaded with ice cream. I was tempted but at 2000 calories I politely declined. I resorted to the cone and yep as expected the ice cream was lovely.

In terms of trips, once again I was never one for the Travel Rep. meeting the morning after arrival having to listen to the over priced hard sale on trips of nightmare proportions. On this occasion I went and I was surprised at the professional approach, there was no hard sell just informative advice. I was impressed and went on a 3 trips and basically I felt they were good value. The first was a trip to Palermo (spelling sorry) worth a visit but nothing really exciting, and then Taormina, the later being quite pleasant with an old roman theatre to potter around and some gardens that an English Lady designed after having been thrown out from court by Queen Victoria. The other trip was to Mount Etna, quite a trek to get there (coach) but worth the visit remember to take warm clothing, failing that you can hire jackets or take the freeze option. The final trip which was an unexpected nice experience was to a mountain village where you got to see how certain recipes were made in a summer alfresco kitchen. Once done, you walk down to the restaurant where you have the Italian equivalent of a mezze meal. The food was excellent and live music was included. As a person who doesn’t like that sort of thing. I actually quite liked it.

All in all, the trip I enjoyed. 1 week was enough for me unless I traveled around the island. Would I go back , yes I would probably somewhere different for a few days.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lisa401

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The Hotel is ideally situated a few minutes walk from the old town along the seafront. The facilites were as you would expect, with a private beach, pool etc. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we stayed on a B & B basis, so can only comment on the breakfast, food-wise, which was more than adequate. Our room was spacious and well furnished, always well cleaned, although most unobtrusively. All in all, an excellent place to stay for the week.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 186302john
Cefalu, Italy
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Two weeks at this hotel. Great facilities and just over the road from a private beach. 10mins walk from the old town. Great service from the staff. Always things happening, evening events. Two bars to choose from. Great pool area and small gym.

Room Tip: Best to have a room over the pool, although you lose the sun early.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David L
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This hotel is in my opinion the best place to stay in the lovely town of Cefalu! The location is great, just a 5/10 minute walk along the sea font into town, and everything about the hotel was good. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially Fabrizio on reception. The rooms were clean, light and airy, we had a superior room (328) with a fabulous view of the sea and the old town from a nice balcony. Good breakfasts in a pretty little courtyard, lovely swimming pool and the beach area was great, soft sand, comfy loungers, luxurious hotel towels, warm sea, and abeach bar with good food and drinks. Had the hotel dinner when they did the Sicilian buffet which was brilliant, so tasty and so much of it...! Most nights we ate in the old town where there are some wonderful restaurants with terraces over the sea, and great food! Many evenings spent watching great sunsets... My only disappointment was that we planned to have dinner on the hotel roof terrace and admire the views, this is supposed to happen on Wednesdays in high season. We booked it but it ended up being by the swimming pool - very nicely done but not the same, no views!! - because they had booked a wedding party on the roof terrace. I hoped they would do dinner on the roof terrace another night instead but, in the 10 days we were there it did not happen once, a shame. But, other than that, a fantastic hotel and a beautiful old Italian town, this was my second visit (first in summer) and we will definitely be back one day!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the old town - not the car park side!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 22Penelope
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Fabulous two weeks at this hotel. Room large spacious and spotless. Staff very friendly and helpfully. Plenty of sun beds by the pool but as the private beach is just across the road from the hotel we didn't use the pool often. Would certainly recommend this hotel but would request a pool view rather than a sea view as by the time we returned to the room in the afternoon our balcony was in full sun and due to the fantastically hot weather we could not enjoy our balcony. Hardly a negative but worth a mention. The walk into Cefalu town was a 15 minutes gentle stroll. We had bed and breakfast so only ate in the hotel once, candlelight meal on the roof terrace was excellent. Our room was on the third floor so it is worth mentioning that when there are functions on the roof terrace (weddings, dinners etc...) there is some some noise from above. Having said all this we would certainly recommend this hotel and most probably visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Co-operative Travel

5 Thank 271Elizabeth57
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations as did Cefalu itself. We stayed here for a week in July with another week in Taormina (see other review). The hotel location is great (not sure why people are complaining about the walk into town) and is a pleasant 10 min walk to the old town along a busy beachfront. We happily spent our days in the very convenient beach, poolside and ambling around the old town. The pool area is very well kept with new loungers, we always got sunbeds helped in part I think due to people spending time on the beach as well.
Our room was spacious even with a bed made up for our young son, OK the sea view was a bit obscured as we had an end room. The rooms were very clean and the maids did a good job each day.
The reception staff were very helpful, especially the guy who helped us get our luggage back (painful experience, easyjet really let us down here) thank you!
Breakfast was fine, usual Italian selection of cakes & pastries (remember you are in Italy not in the UK so don't expect a fry up) and did the job for us.
The only thing I would say is that I don't think the hotel makes the bar area as inviting as they could as they don't ask people if they want drinks by the pool for example as other hotels do.
A few tips: there is a largish supermarket 5 mins walk away if you want to buy drinks (but hotel don't want you using their fridge) and snacks. There are a lot of places to eat and drink in Cefalu (considerably cheaper than Taormina by the way!), Bar 188 is highly recommended- 2.50 euro for a glass of prosecco what more can I say?!
We arrived and left by train, it is very easy and inexpensive to get around this way, don't bother with a car unless you are going off the beaten track and like challenging driving situations. The people in Cefalu were very helpful and pleasant (same cannot be said in Taormina), from taxi drivers to the ticket guy at the station who even helped us on the train with our luggage, it maybe because Cefalu is an unpretentious working down as well as beach resort.
Overall if returning to Sicily we would come back to Cefalu, it is a charming town with a lovely beach and is inexpensive. We would return to this hotel as well.

Room Tip: It probably is worth paying a bit extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank claire2767
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Had a fabulous two week holiday here. We were on B&B basis and I think that was the right decision. There are many restaurants in Cefalu and it was a hard decision where to eat each night. We did have one meal in the hotel but it was a lot more expensive than the local restaurants.
The hotel is modern and very clean. The air conditioning in the room was exceptionally good and had the best nights sleep in ages.
The staff are wonderful and especially the reception staff, Fabrizio and Gino. They could not do enough for you. Even the chambermaids were extremely friendly.
The pool area was lovely and clean, but it was not really used by many people as they all seemed to go to the Hotel's own private beach across from the hotel. I prefer the pool area and never had any problems getting a sunbed.
When I visit Sicily again I will definitely stay at the Cefalu Sea Palace.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have a side sea view and of the ones I saw they were all extremely spacious and cl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends