We went many times to the lake of Como but never stayed at the Villa d'Este until this year. In the meantime, we have travelled a lot and saw many great hotels around the world. Is it why the hotel didn't live up to our expectations? Villa d'Este was for us a legend reinforced by the yearly pictures of the Ambrosetti forum when the most influential people in business and politics gather to discuss the current economical and social challenges. Some friends who spent there romantic engagement week-ends told us also how magical this place was. We were thus quite excited at the perspective of being there during three long days. We spent without contest an excellent week-end. The hotel is a beautiful five star hotel with all amenities and services belonging to a member of the "leading hotels of the world". We stayed in an executive room with garden view (standard rooms are with courtyard view, which we wouldn't recommend). Our room was at the corner of the building with a view on the magnificent gardens, the Queen's building and a side view on the lake. As the room prices are extremely high and not only at the peak season in summer, we think it was a good choice. We were also at the front row to watch the fairy tale wedding of Central Asian billionaires in the garden just below the window! The room was superb and quite big with antique etchings on the wall, a baldaquin and a very big and luxury bathroom. On the plan on the door room, we noticed our room was one of the smallest of the floor, we had the chance to get a glimpse at the suite besides our room, indeed it was huge, even for a suite! What we enjoyed most was the cocktail time (better said aperol spritz time!) on the terrace, looking at the peaceful lake and admiring some of the 18th century villas on the opposite shore. Despite being late in the season, we could swim in the (quite small) pool on the lake and enjoyed the mild temperature in the evening to walk in the gardens (well maintained near the main building but more neglected when you walk up the hill). The major disappointment was the food: we had snacks on the terrace and ate at the restaurant "The Grill", which is less formal than the Veranda in the main building. Honestly, the food is not better than at any average Italian restaurant around the world, except that the prices are as three to four times as high... Nevertheless, the breakfast was excellent and when you know how miserable a breakfast can be in Italy, you enjoy twice as much!
We left with mixed feelings: very beautiful hotel, but not the legend we thought. We went back to Como with the very elegant water taxi of the hotel speeding on the lake and recollecting our happy memories of the week-end...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the splendor, the grandeur, the intrigue and the magic of Villa d'Este- an opulent hotel overlooking glorious Lake Como. Hailed as one of the best hotels in the world by Travel & Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler and Forbes Traveler, this famous resort destination has been widely praised for its beautiful gardens, exquisite cuisine, gala celebrations, impeccable décor and extraordinary hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Prestigia, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Villa d'Este reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa d`Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Hotel d Este
- d Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Villa Deste Lake Como
- Villa D'Este Lake Como/Cernobbio, Italy