“Villa Malakoff - Magnificent Luxury”
Review of Villa d'Este

Villa d'Este
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cernobbio
Orange County, California
“Villa Malakoff - Magnificent Luxury”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked the Villa Malakoff, which is on the grounds of the Villa d'Este resort, for ourselves and another couple. It was easily the most incredible place we have ever stayed. The resort itself is so beautiful, with grounds that look like something from the movies! Our check-in experience was very easy and welcoming. The villa sits at the top of a steep driveway just short distance away from the main building. It includes 4 bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms on the second & third floors, as well as a fully equipped kitchen, dining room, living room and powder room on the first floor. There is also an amazing terrace on the ground floor and a balcony off the second floor's main bedroom. And the neatest thing - our very own elevator!

Champagne was waiting for us when we arrived. We took it out on our terrace and toasted the winding down of a wonderful trip to Italy. Then we explored the villa. There was a big bowl of fruit in the dining room and fresh flowers in most of the rooms. The refrigerator was fully stocked with water, soda, juices (even peach nectar!). There were bowls full of delicious candy in the dining room and living room. The terrace and balcony had an awning that was electronically controlled with an inside switch to arrange it "just so" as the sun set.

The two "master" bedroom suites were perfect; one had a balcony and the other a smaller outside area overlooking the lake. They also had lots of windows with shutters on the outside so the windows themselves could be kept open at night while the shutters kept the bugs out. I think my favorite thing about the villa was the heated floors throughout. It was completely comfortable walking around barefoot, or in the nice bedroom slippers they provided. Beds were very comfortable and en-suite bathrooms were large and luxurious. They all had very nice rain showers and the two larger ones had soaking tubs.

Everywhere you look, the Villa d'Este logo appears; it is even etched into all the glasses in the kitchen! A scrumptious buffet breakfast was included; Made-to-order omelets, eggs Benedict, French toast, yogurt, meats & cheeses, all kinds of pastries & desserts, mimosas, served in the beautiful Veranda dining room.

We all had to put our heads together to come up with any areas of improvements, and the only one we could think of was the lack of hand/dish towels in the kitchen. We made do, but a couple of soft towels (with the Villa d'Este logo, of course!) hanging in the kitchen would be convenient.

All in all, we absolutely loved our villa, the resort, the town of Cernobbio and Lake Como. We definitely want to return and stay again at this amazing, beautiful resort.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank The_Joneses

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Kusnacht, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights in October with my husband and son, and I am so sorry I didn't come sooner in my life.
We drove down from Zürich; about a 3 1/2 hour trip and very comfortable. Cernobbio is just over the Italian border and the directions to get to the hotel are deceptively simple - we almost drove the other way because we thought it couldn't possibly be so close.
The hotel is set in a huge and beautiful garden on the shores of Lake Como. It looks like a picture book, really. We checked in, the the staff were very, very nice and- surprise! - we had gotten a room upgrade, which was wonderful. Our rooms were in the other building, which was very beautiful, and right next to the more casual restaurant (The Grill), which ended up being great because the weather wasn't so good and it rained a good deal during our stay. The rooms were lovely, spacious, and the bathrooms are marble and modern and although on the small side, still fine (could be a better shower, I remember thinking, but don't remember why I thought that so it must be a minor issue). The water was nice and hot, which I love.
The view from our room was literally Right On The Water which I also loved, and I enjoyed sleeping at night to the lapping of waves. We did also feel a bit cold, like another reviewer, but I am familiar with the heating schedules of southern Europe and so brought longer pajamas to wear and it wasn't an issue.

The breakfast was great, gipfeli (croissants) perfect, cappuccino perfect of course, lots of interesting people to look at. The gardens are Amazing. So beautiful! I loved walking up to the statue of Hercules and Lycea (I think that is who he is holding…?)

Dinners at the Grill were also wonderful; I really liked that restaurant because it was very small feeling, with low ceilings, and cozy lighting, and one night we were there, there was a terrible storm with lightning and thunder, and with the candles and the excellent food and wine, it somehow seemed very convivial with the other guests (mainly Americans when we were there). I also thought it was nice that we were remembered the next two nights for things like wine preferences and dessert likes and dislikes, etc.

Also, my husband had an excellent massage in the spa, and he came back feeling very relaxed (usually doesn't happen so…). I had my hair done in the salon, and it turned out to be one highlight of my stay. The salon has been run by the same team for many years, a Swiss gentleman who is like a kind of First Coiffurist To The Stars, and his receptionist, also Swiss, who has been working with him almost equally as long. There are photos everywhere of him with all kinds of movie stars, royalty, and other celebrities, and he has many stories to tell about his working life at both this hotel and also another one in St. Moritz. The time passed in a millisecond, and my blowout looked perfect and lasted in the wet weather.

To summarize, we had a fantastic time, and we definitely will not wait so long to go back. Also, it is quite easy to walk into town and get a ferry into Como, which is a nice little village with some decent-ish shopping. Due to weather conditions, we didn't do too much, but will next time around.Yes you should go, and yes get a room with a lake view (if there is a choice).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank heavycat69
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

My wife & I always make it a point to spend at least a night per year at this magnificent hotel.There are lots of nice lakeside hotels in Italy but this one takes the cake.
Sweeping views of the Lake Como whist relaxing on the lakeside terrace and having your favourite drink
The pasta and crepes Suzette at the restaurant are particularly good
The other bonus for me personally is as I drive extensively in Europe and Villa D'Este is one of the very few resort type hotels easily accessible from the motorway.It's about a 5 min drive from the motorway exit

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Motoda
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Recently we were at the Hotel Villa d'Este and it was a beautiful experience. Magnificent Place built in 1947 is a heritage property converted into a hotel. Very tastefully done it reminds of the Grandeur of the the times and the romanticism of Royalty. It is a very regal property and has a floating swimming pool giving the impression that one is actually swimming in Lake Como. We understand, it is refurbished every year. No two rooms are furbished the same. Most of the rooms face the Lake giving an excellent view.

Food & beverages were excellent & tasteful. Hospitality par excellence ! Very good experience.

Particularly enjoyed dining at the Restaurant on the lake.

Room Tip: Most rooms are facing the lake. Select one !
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Perth
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The best meal we had in Italy and the most expensive. We always splurge at least once on an overseas trip and this was it. We arrived in style by water taxi which gave us the opportunity to look around the incredible grounds. Nobody bothered us or questioned if we were guests as I noted some others had experienced. We had pre lunch drinks inside the villa in opulent surroundings and then lunch in the verandah restaurant which was wonderful. This included a lovely bottle of Soave which bore no relation to wine of the same name which we have often bought in UK supermarkets. We shared a lobster concoction starter which was delicious and then a grilled turbot for two (which was taken off the bone by our waiter) with scallop potatoes, tomatoes and vegetables. Again, absolutely delicious. We finished off with really good, if slightly different tiramusu desserts, some local dessert wine and coffee before we headed back to Como to catch the fast boat back to Bellagio. Service was friendly and professional and if you are willing to fork out around E300 this is a must do if you are anywhere around Lake Como.

den bosch
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband and I only stayed in the villa for 1 night, but since we arrived in the early morning and were able to stay until late afternoon the next day, it felt as if we stayed longer. We enjoyed every minute of our stay.
We booked a room with lake-view, they upgraded it to a junior suite and it was lovely.
We made a 3-hour boat trip at the lake and that was so nice! We had lunch in the town Bellagio and then the boat took us back to Villa d'Este, where we had our afternoon tea at the terrace. Lunch and dinner at the hotel is of high quality too, breakfast was especially nice because we were so lucky with the weather, sunny and warm, so we could sit outside and enjoy the view.
The staff is outstanding, for European standards it is absolutely the top, couldn't be better in any way.

Room Tip: Lake-view!
2 Thank flyingdutchie
São Paulo, Sp
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is maybe one of the best hotels in Europe. Magnificient property located meters from the Lake di Como with perfect gardens, decks, pools, tennis courses. You really feel like a king here. Rooms are very spacious with excellent amenities. In summer and spring, this is a place to see and be seen. The restaurants are good, but I have dined better. But it is just a matter of sitting at the Veranda restaurant with a lake view that you forget about the food. But take your tie and jacket if you plane to have dinner at the Veranda. No exception. As an alternative, you can eat at the Grill, a less format option at the hotel. Downsides: (1) shower inside the bathtub is quite complicated for elder people and those with any moving disability; (2) it was mid October and they have turned off the air conditioning in the entire hotel and rooms. There was only heating for a temperatura of 18 degrees Celsius. When I questioned about the air conditionding, I was told that it would be turn on only in Spring - by April 2014.... If I wanted to cool down the room I should leave the window opened... (that's for a room at 1,000 euros a night). Also, the bathroom was so hot - with no window - that you could stand no more than 15 minutes in it without feeling dizzy... But besides these minor things, everything else was beyond perfect.

1 Thank David_R_Silva
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cernobbio
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
#4 of 32 in Como
Hotel La Perla
Hotel La Perla
#1 of 8 in Tremezzina

Been to Villa d'Este? Share your experiences!