We loved our stay at Villa d'Este for our 2 year anniversary.
I think "old world charm and elegance" is the best way to describe this beautiful hotel. The customer service was by far the best we experienced in Europe.
We were personally shown to our room and were lucky enough to be upgraded to the junior suite on arrival which was a lovely touch by the manager. After a hectic travel schedule prior to arriving in Cernobbio, it was wonderful to stay in a place with such amazing amenities such as the leisure centre with the big indoor heated pool, gymnasium and sauna/spa facilities.
We had pre dinner drinks downstairs and the staff were all so attentive. We would very often chat to the staff who were so friendly and genuine and seemed to really loved their jobs. I recall having a wonderful chat to the gentleman at the verandah bar who entertained us with anecdotes and stories from his years of service at the hotel.
We had dinner at both the restaurant and the grill and generally enjoyed both although we did love the Grill a lot more. Unfortunately, we felt that the restaurant was a bit too stuffy and my husband was made to feel uncomfortable when he was asked if he wanted to borrow a tie to sit on the right hand side of the restaurant instead of the left hand side of the restaurant. The distinction made no sense to me because the left and ride side of the restaurant were separated by some pot plants only and in any case were deserted. We sat in the less formal side (left) hand side of the restaurant. The food was brilliant and we soon forgot the small uncomfortable experience. The next day, we tried the Grill which is in a separate house/villa a short walk from the main building near the ruins and the staff were really first class. Incredibly attentive, well organised, happy, smiley, and very funny and engaging.
As the weather was poor, we took advantage of the Foxtown shopping centre (outlet mall) which was a short drive (25 min or so) with the car service which the concierge organised for us. We were driven there and picked up and it was all too convenient (all for a reasonable fee). I do recommend this outlet mall (which unlike others, is very civilised indeed with a great range of stock (particularly YSL, Salvatore Ferregamo and Gucci)).
Overall, we LOVED this place and would recommend it to friends and family. The staff are amazingly hospitable (unlike say, our experience in Hotel Danieli Venice which is supposedly in the same or similar category as Villa D'este), the view is breathtaking and the rooms amazing with a turn down service twice a day.
Thanks to the staff for an amazing experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the splendor, the grandeur, the intrigue and the magic of Villa d'Este- an opulent hotel overlooking glorious Lake Como. Hailed as one of the best hotels in the world by Travel & Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler and Forbes Traveler, this famous resort destination has been widely praised for its beautiful gardens, exquisite cuisine, gala celebrations, impeccable décor and extraordinary hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Villa d'Este reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa d`Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Hotel d Este
- d Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Villa Deste Lake Como
- Villa D'Este Lake Como/Cernobbio, Italy