1,473 results
All reviewsthe grillveranda restaurantjacket and tielake comofloating poolbest hotels in the worldjunior suiteindoor poolold worldlinen sheetsmain buildingbeautiful hotella verandatennis courtsconcierge deskgeorge clooneymagical place
Reviewed 8 March 2014

If there is a hotel you have to stay in whilst on Lake Como than this is it. It is loaded with history. The queen's pavilion was built for queen Victoria's visit, this gives you a sense of how important this hotel is. In summer, having a candlelight dinner with a chilled glass of white wine by the lake is awesome. This is one of the places you must see in a lifetime.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hotel is a magnificent renaissance style edifice with extensive grounds located right next to the lake, with its own private boat jetty.

The rooms vary in quality (as is common in many old buildings) - I have seen a tiny room with an awful view on a corner of the building, but our suite was enormous and very very comfortable, with a terrace overlooking the gardens and a side view of the lake. There is also a more modern hotel annexe to the north of the main building, where conferences rooms are located as well. I don't know what those rooms are like. Moral of the story - plan on spending a little more money or else stay in a less grand hotel but in a higher grade room.

There is an outdoor swimming pool right next to the lake, which I imagine, must be really nice in summer. Other than that I did not notice any other exceptional facilities.

The service is attentive and friendly, and the food impeccable. Breakfast is a feast, lunch and dinner a little too heavy for our tastes but extremely accomplished and good with wine pairings.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2014

this is one of the most beautiful hotels i ever visited. I thought i was in paradise. Awesome location, wonderful rooms, very adequate personnel....will return for sure. A quick visit to nearby Switzerland, floating swimmingpool in front of the hotel. book your room, pack your luggage and go go go

Room Tip: all rooms and suites are big, high ceilings, sunny and amazing furnitured
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank heidivermak
Reviewed 15 February 2014

As per many reviews I read before staying here - "Its not a Hotel its an experience" quote is probably very accurate. Glad we stayed here for the experience but thats it would not stay again.
Stayed in May 2013 with a large group of nearly 50 people. The hotel is just a wonderfull building in a pictureesque location on Lake Como. The rooms are more like a staying in someones house than a 5 star hotel very old and lacking modern convieninces. I dont want to sound un cultured as I love culture and Museums etc but I just didnt get the awards that this hotel has received. Como is a beatiful spot and this is the best Hotel here and the most expensive. The fitness centre was the highlight for me. The restuarants are first class and the breakfasts are the best we experienced in Italy. Whilst some of our group spotted Robert Deniro and his security at this hotel it is a bit of a who is who of Hotels for the rich and famous, not really me. Stayed for 4 nights but would have been happy with just 2. All in all a wonderfull building and grounds and a stunning location, but couldnt justify price and dont get all the fame its recieved.
NO IRONING BOARDS AND REFUSING TO BRING US ONE totally spoilt our stay after a 28 hour travel from Australia and having a function that night I found it spoilt the whole stay and just added stess to my poor wife. Yes they had an expensive ironing service but were not able to prombtly return our clothes in time. Cannot accept this in such an awarded hotel. I know its normal for European standards but find it unacceptable.

Room Tip: More of an experience than a Hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank DWgoldengrove
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The grounds are unbelievable, and the hotel itself is an art nouveau masterpiece that very much deserves its spot as one of the best in the world. We went in late fall when it was chilly and drizzling, but the summer months must be all the more incredible.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple