1,487 results
All reviews the grill veranda restaurant jacket and tie lake como floating pool best hotels in the world junior suite indoor pool old world linen sheets main building beautiful hotel la veranda tennis courts concierge desk george clooney magical place
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We have been to villa d'este many times, a very beautiful location and a very special place, we only went for lunch though and took our young children along for the first time. We all sit down and start to order food for our four kids and are told by the waiter they can order us kids size portions, this is great, but no kids menus on offer though! The food is brought out for the kids and the serving size is adult size (fine we think), we then get the bill and are charged 42 euro's for each of our child's main course and 21 euros for each of our childs ice cream, so we are charged full adult price, I call the waiter over and ask why are we being charged full price (when ordering the kids food the waiter of course did not have the courtesy to tell us our kids food would be charged the same as adult prices).... So lunch for our four kids was around 250 euro's..that's a first for us..... I don't mind paying a premium for us adults at Villa D'este but I am enraged that they did not even have the courtesy to tell us we would be charged full price, Italy is the only country I have been to in the world that will rip off its visitors as badly as they do even St Tropez is kinder to your pockets (sometimes)! I will stay away in future and never take my kids, lesson learnt and to let you know Villa D'este has no kids menus/prices available for anything so you have been warned!

Room Tip: Lake view only
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank binky15
Reviewed 4 May 2014

One never mentioned plus for the hotel is the easy access to it. You don't have to drive through busy and sometimes jammed Como streets to reach it. And the parking is free in a garage and can be self parked. That means you can explore the surrounding villages at your well without any prearrangement or disturbing anyone. The hotel is located within walking distance to a near by small town and, of course, by the lake. The hotel had its glory days and still has wonderful facilities. But many newer resorts came to the market in the last decade with much contemporary taste and amenities. This hotel does show its age but is still impeccable in service and its integration with its surrounding environment. And its age does add a lot to its charm in a positive way. Rooms facing the lake with balcony are really nice. I have no idea how good or bad the garden facing rooms will be. I didn't try the formal dinner because I was not agreeable with the concept of eating with jacket and tie. But the Grill restaurant still offered wonderful foods in an informal formality. The breakfast was included in the room rate and can be enjoyed either indoor or outdoor by the lake. The selection of foods for the breakfast is simply one of the best in my experience in any European hotel. April is probably a low season for Como. I just don't think this hotel can be as charming and peaceful when filled with high season guests. But it is a place you can come back again and again in the right time and with the right room.

Room Tip: Lake view with balcony
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed here awhile ago, and I have to say, it was perfect...the food, the character of the hotel, the service. It doesn't get one bit better than Villa d'Este. Our room was absolutely fantastic, grand, and beautiful.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was not my first stay at the Villa d'Este, and hopefully it will not be my last. On my first visit, the Villa d'Este was the finest hotel I had ever stayed at. On my last visit, it was still the finest hotel I have ever stayed at, and I have stayed at some very fine hotels all over the world. From the moment you drive in through the gates, till the moment you leave, you will be taken care of like nowhere else. If you are going to Lake Como, you must stay here.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony, and a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank OldCritical
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Villa d'Este is truly a magical place, even the drive through the town is lovely. We only stayed for one night this time but enjoyed every single moment of it!

We were lucky enough this time to have a lake view junior suite, the views were stunning, I could have sat looking out at the Lake all day! The room was gorgeous, one of the reasons I love this hotel is that each room is different there are no two rooms the same which for me is a bonus! It had a huge walk in wardrobe area, lovely bathroom and I love their toiletries they smell divine.

We spent a very pleasent afternoon having drinks overlooking the lake, very attentive service without being overbearing.

We had dinner in the main restaurant that night and it was delicious , I love the atmosphere in the restaurant, again great service without it being too much, men should be aware that a tie is required to dine in the restaurant. We had after dinner drinks in the bar where there was a singer so a nice way to finish the evening off.

Breakfast was outstanding, it was warm so we sat outside which was a lovely way to start the day.

Great laundry service, they had a shirt ironed for my husband and back within the hour. I also left a pair of expensive earrings there and I only discovered some months later and thankfully they had them for me and they were shipped back to me!

This is true old style elegance and I love it . Yes it is expensive but the surroundings, the food ,the service and the atmosphere make it worth every single penny, if you can afford to treat yourself then go ahead you won't regret it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple