Villa d'Este
Asnigo Hotel(Cernobbio)
  • Pool
  • Pool
1,399 results
All reviewsthe grillveranda restaurantjacket and tiefloating poollake comobest hotels in the worldjunior suiteindoor poolmain buildingold worldlinen sheetsla verandabeautiful hoteltennis courtsconcierge deskgeorge clooneymagical place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Our stay at the Villa was extremely nice. The room was very large with a huge walk in closet, dressing room. The floating swimming pool was cool. The grounds are very well kept. It is definitely on the expensive side but I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I have always wanted to stay at Villa D'Este and it was more than I expected....I brought my daughter for her 50th birthday. We absolutely LOVED Francesca at reception... she should be a hotel concierge...
We have stayed at many 5 star hotels in the US & Europe but unfortunately, the three males at the concierge desk were arrogant, rude and down right unfriendly. After returning home I mentioned this to a number of my friends who have stayed at Villa D'Este they all agreed that it was a magical experience but they whole heartedly agreed that the concierge services were lacking except for a very few "special guest". How naive of me to think that we're all special guests... I hope this has been remedied by my next visit.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank VacationVenues
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I chose this hotel for my 40th birthday in April and was not dissapointed.

Firstly Lake Como is truly a beautiful place (and I have travelled far and wide in my life) which I would highly recommend. Id say book it for a special occasion or for a romatic weekend away as it's pricey there.

Villa D'Este is a charming and grand hotel, set in well kept grounds. The location and position are ideal to get around Como and it is the most impressive hotel there.

The staff are very helpful and friendly and nothings too much trouble. Again though you do get what you pay for! While I was there, I saw Emily Blunt who was checking out the hotel as a potential wedding venue, and I read last week that she got married there, so that says it all!

The rooms can be a little chintzy but I was offered an upgrade for the 1st night as they knew it was 40th birthday, which was most thoughtful.

I will definitely go back, funds permitting and would suggest that this is one hotel that is definitely worth blowing a budget for...

Alexa Winchmore Hill

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank alexa1970
Reviewed 11 July 2010

If you have been following my reviews of the best room - best hotel stays we've booked along our extended European vacation, you'll know we booked at Villa d' Este more than a year ago based on it’s Conde Naste ranking and great reviews. Well folks, Conde Naste needs to take it’s head out of it’s a** and book an anonymous one night stay here in Villa Cima - a separate villa on the lake with all the hotel amenities. It’s their best room because it’s a separate room a separate villa on the lake.

The first (and least) short-coming is that there is no privacy whatsoever. Every single vehicle that goes to Villa D Este (the hotel), roars by a few inches fromVilla Cima’s front door. Curious tourists walking to Cernobbio leer over the walkway at your private patio. We were expecting to be living the “Life of Riley” on the shores of Lake Como, hobnobbing with the Clooneys and Pitts. No such people would spend more than a day here.

We pulled the plug after a mere half day, asking for the hotel manager and GM to explain that we can’t possibly spend 6 nights in a villa reeking of urine. Only get this - after one night at 6500 Euros, we realized that the smell was not urine but rather the ant poison which did not succeed in killing the tens of thousands of ants which had infested our luggage in the foyer of the villa during the 8 hours we had occupied it. We did not find out about said infestation until discovering ants in our luggage at the next hotel on our stay at Four Seasons Milan - an impromptu stop caused by this hotel. The sheets here were like staying a night in grandma’s spare room on the pullout sofa. Lineny and harsh and scratchy. With hospital style comforters. They weren’t even linens!

Villa d’Este has been around since Christ was a cowboy and it shows. Most properties like this in Europe dutifully update their premises each year with their profits, when they close for the season. This hotel either doesn’t have any profits or is so taxed by the overhead of Mafia payoffs and local taxes that they have no resources left to keep the place up.

It was deeply heartbreaking for their staff who tried their guts out, but just could not make up for the glaring shortcomings, not present in similarly aged properties in France and England.

We were forced to book make-up visits in separate hotels which deeply inconvenienced us and left us feeling like all of Italy’s luxury resorts are just falling apart.

So my advice - if you insist on seeing Italy are, Pay George Clooney 20k a night for a room in his villa ( a bargain based on this place), or avoid lake Como. This hotel has just lost everything it stands for in my book.

It’s heartbreaking and sad for its staff who were excellent. The food here was excellent too. But OLD does not mean CLASSIC - You need to UPGRADE this property of you’re going to charge the kind of rates the Kennedys paid pre-inflation.

God help this place.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
32  Thank theLuckiestGuy
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Well, this place had a lot to live up to. Its reputation is huge and having been fortunate enough over the years to stay in some pretty nice places, I wondered if we would think it was worth the hype and the (considerably) more money that it costs to stay there.

Based on our 48 hours I would say "yes!" We had booked a corner room with views of both the lake and the gardens, but were upgraded to a top junior suite with full lake view - no idea why, but it was a nice surprise. It was in the Queen's building, which I can say is perfectly good - no special need to be in the main building that I can think of, apart from maybe the thrill of walking down its staircase to dinner - rather grand, to say the least.

The food and drink were superb. We dressed up for the first night to eat in the restaurant (laid up outside since the weather was good) and the second night we ate at The Grill, still great food but no need for jacket and tie. Service was the best I have ever received, and there is a huge number of staff to guests. All seem very attentive and very much on the ball. Being a Brit perhaps, I was a little uncomfortable with the tipping culture. I saw an American guy walk ten paces to a sunbed with a pool attendant carrying his two towels. He gave a 10 Euro tip for that 10 seconds of "work". Not untypical from what I saw. The guy took the tip, but to their credit the staff did not hang around looking for tips. The majority of guests seemed to be American, and of course their tipping culture is huge. (I am more comfortable with the policy of, say, Chewton Glen, which costs a fortune but the staff are not allowed to accept tips).

Just how expensive is Villa D'Este? Well, bottled water is 9 Euros, a club sandwich is 30 Euros, and a Gin and Tonic is 19 Euros. Even after the free upgrade our bill for two nights was over 3,000 Euros, but that did include a two hour boat hire on the lake for 170 Euros (rent one of their boats and drive yourself around, it's great fun). We didn't hit the wine either!

The gardens are stunning, the pool remarkable, the main building like a palace inside, and the service exceptional. Our only gripes related to the small number of parents who exert absolutely no control over their young children. I felt sad seeing whining 8 year old brats with their feet up on the beautiful sofas in the main building, crying when they didn't get what they wanted, disinterested mums filing their nails and texting on their BlackBerrys. Honestly, why take young kids to a place like this? Of course they're going to be bored - they'd prefer a water park or Disneyworld. Luckily we were able to escape the majority of the brat incidents!

We felt sad to leave even after just 2 days, and that is probably the best endorsement we can give. It really is a fabulous place and I hope we are blessed enough in life to be able to afford to go back soon!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple