Take someone you love. On our first morning I woke up to gasps from my girlfriend. She is not asthmatic nor is she prone to gazing at the wonder that is early morning me. She was stood at the entrance to the balcony of our suite genuinely moved by what must be one of the most beautiful of hotel locations in Europe. Everything about Villa d'Este is really very good but the location and the service are stunning.
The view from the lake facing rooms in the main hotel building across the water to the village and mountains opposite moves from a lilac tinged sepia in the morning to the most vivid Italian palette in the early afternoon and slowly back again. Do not settle for any other vieweven if it means taking in a lodger.
In the morning the hotel is gently nudged into a shuffling action by staff who seem honestly happy to be there with you. They give the lie to the idea that wonderful service needs either to involve belittling formality or intrusive chummyness. You may be royalty, you maybe the guest of a Mr G Clooney house party you may be a well heeled touritst passing through. All will be treated with an elegance and ease not seen since Mr Gatsby's last shindig.
Remember to take an evening wardrobe pitched at the Scandanavian Royal Wedding Reception end of the market, not because you will be looked down upon if you don't but because you will rue the loss of an opportunity to waft and glide through drinks, dinner (and to be honest more drinks) to the accompaniament of a gentle collective contentment radiated by your fellow guests.
Few experiences like this remain in the world. The Orient Express probably. A balloon ride over the Masai Mara maybe. Christmas at Claridges possibly. Take someone you love and tell them that you do when your there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the splendor, the grandeur, the intrigue and the magic of Villa d'Este- an opulent hotel overlooking glorious Lake Como. Hailed as one of the best hotels in the world by Travel & Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler and Forbes Traveler, this famous resort destination has been widely praised for its beautiful gardens, exquisite cuisine, gala celebrations, impeccable décor and extraordinary hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers so you can book your Villa d'Este reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa d`Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Hotel d Este
- d Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Villa Deste Lake Como
- Villa D'Este Lake Como/Cernobbio, Italy