“Terrible Customer service cost me hundreds in long distance bills” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Regina Olga Hotel

Regina Olga Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Cernobbio
Coral Gables, Florida
“Terrible Customer service cost me hundreds in long distance bills”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I would never recommend this hotel...Terrible. I called to change my reservation from a one night to a two night and was told they were overbooked, so I asked to cancel my reservation two days prior to the check in date, and was told that I could not cancel because I called at 4pm instead of 2pm!! this is crazy. Then I had American Express Travel (Platinum) call and they were told the same. So from Milan on my vacation, I took a one hour train, and 15 boat ride to the hotel to explain in person on Monday the 16th of September and the manager refused to allow m to cancel without a penalty. This is horrible customer service. I will tell everyone I know from Miami and elsewhere to NEVER stay at this hotel.

Carlos I. Fernandez, CPA.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Carlos F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Perth, Western Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Our stay didn't get off to the best start. We were greeted at reception by a fairly surly, abrupt and unhelpful lady. There are two women that alternate at reception and from a distance the other one sounds kinder which may account for the conflicting reviews on TA.

The hotel is well located right next to the lake and the front of the hotel looks gorgeous. It's when you get up close to Regina Olga that you realise that it needs updating. It just misses the mark for old world charm and instead looks worn. For example, there is velvet on some hand railing that's faded, a beautiful grand piano in the lobby that has peeling lacquer, a nice pool that has a faded green mark around the waters edge, big crystal chandeliers that are murky and dusty. It could be a great hotel really easily but a lack of up keep just takes the shine off it.

Breakfast was average. We had trouble finding a table because dirty dishes had not been cleared away or the places had not been reset. We found the scrambled eggs to have gone dry and hard and there was no toast. No coffee facilities, you have to have it bought to you. That's fine but normally when hotels do this they have wait staff who are offering it- we had to try hunt someone down.

In addition we had to pay €15 for wifi which is usually included for free at most hotels these days.

In summary, it is a once grand hotel in a great location that is let down by its service and lack of maintenance.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Danikajaye
Falkirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This represented the first real "guided " tour type holiday for my wife and I. Therefore it just had to be expected that the holiday would have strict timetables and deadlines for meeting etc.
That discipline was compensated for by wonderful scenery, and visits to some of the beautiful areas around Lake Como, Maggiore and Lugano and St Moritz in Switzerland.
The major disappointment was the hotel dining arrangements and the quality of the food itself.
Dining was 19.30hrs on the dot in a large spartan room, with a very poor menu always only two selections per course, and often pasta x or pasta y being the TWO starter selections. Customers often were left queeing for food, as waiters took interminable time to replenish dishes.
Pity - the rest of the hotel services were fine .

Room Tip: the lake facing rooms are worth the extra tariff
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ColinMcn8491
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel is situated in a great location, right beside the lake, with a pedestrian square in front.
The village itself is beautiful, with great places to eat. The hotel, however, was very disappointing. The back of the hotel is oddly lit by eight spotlights every night. The room was
tiny and the bathroom minuscule and dated. Breakfast, however, was good.The staff at the hotel were very pleasant and helpful; but beware the office staff!

Room Tip: Insist on a lakeside room, otherwise you will have a view of the car park, with eight spotlights ill...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Luton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Myself and my friend stayed for seven nights at the Regina Olga Hotel beautifully situated in Cernobbio on lake Como. The staff were extremely heplful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble, any issues attended to immediately. I feel this lovely characteristic hotel has been unfairly reviewed by some others. Our room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. It was also very quiet which was important to me. There was air con and a safe for anything important which we didn't want to take around with us. Very healthy and tasty food choices. We didn't have a lake view but it wasn't a problem, since we were on a busy trip, out most of the time. One nice touch was that each time we left or returned from our day out, one of the hotel staff always came out to wave us off for the day or greeted us as we got off the coach! We went with Riviera travel company and I was so impressed with the organisation of the entire trip from being met at Milan airport to being waved off on our departure by our wonderful tour guide Marina, with her never ending energy, enthusiasm and extensive knowledge. I will never forget this experience and plan to take another similar trip in the future.

Room Tip: One piece of advice I might give is, if you are sensitive to the slightest noise, our room number 11...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Imelda F
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

My friend and I have just returned from a trip with Riviera Travel to the above (13th - 20th August 2013) and it was one of the best holidays I have ever had. The hotel, staff and position of hotel on the lake were wonderful. Cernobbio is a lovely little town. The hotel has an olde world charm and the room was more than adequate with bath and shower facilities. If I had one criticism (very small criticism) please remove hairdryer from the bathroom, it was not good quality, it took forever to dry hair and handle became very hot, so ladies I would advise taking your own small strong hairdryer with you as humidity is also high. Best thing of all we were not subjected to drunken yobs or night on night of loud booming music. Fellow travellers were a lovely crowd and very friendly. Riviera Travel group also had their own dining area which added to the friendly atmosphere. Compliments must go to the chef for the excellent variety and standard of food.

We also had the most wonderful guide in Marina Marelli who was friendly helpful and very informative. Marina sourced the best restaurants for prices, lunches and coffee breaks and was a joy to travel with. This was very much a cultural holiday although plenty time allowed for shopping, and if you don't like culture this holiday is not for you. Although we had to get out of bed at 5a.m. to get to Tirano to catch an early Bernina Express to San Moritz, this was the highlight of our holiday as the scenery was unsurpassable. I would do this trip again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sheila052013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

This is an older hotel that has seen a lot of wear but is very clean and maintains good appearances. We did not have a lake view room but were not in the room long enough to cause concern, as the location is yards (or metres) from the lake front and the boat terminal about 50m from the door. Good choice of food both at breakfast and at dinner as well as good quality restuarants in the vacinity, Harry's bar about 20m away and some small local establishments in the back streets around. The area is safe to stroll around although the main street is narrow but this is a good centre for touring around the lake and over to Switzerland. Is has an older clientelle in the lounge in the evenings but meeting people and socializing is part of the fun. Yes, I would stay here again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms obviously have a better view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cernobbio
Grand Hotel Imperiale
Grand Hotel Cadenabbia
Grand Hotel Cadenabbia
#2 of 5 in Cadenabbia di Griante
Sheraton Lake Como Hotel

Been to Regina Olga Hotel? Share your experiences!