“Shocking service”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We spent a week in Cervia as we have family friends in the area. They suggested we visit Ristorante Al Pirata as we intending to go out and eat some good Italian pizza... lets just say it wasn't the experience we were expecting.

We arrived and were shown to our table. The waiter did speak English but did not appear to be happy to have to do so. He asked if we wanted any drinks and when we were deciding he said he would bring us water and left us without our drinks order.

He returned with water, took our food order and asked if we wanted anything else... my friend got out "can I have" by this time he had again left the table... so no drinks order.

The food arrived (with a different waiter) and we asked if we could order some drinks. He said of course and went to get the original waiter.... We waited 10mins for him to bother coming over and then one of us asked for a Martini Bianco... he scolded her and said Martini WHITE... she asked for some lemonade with it and the waiter then seemed to be rather aggressive and told us it was NOT a cocktail bar. He told us off, loudly, in front of all the other customers saying he not be serving such drinks but would only this once and not again.

My other friend then asked for a vodka and if she she could have it with lemonade. his response was "everyone drink lemonade! Kill me now!"

Then it was my turn to order.... too intimidated to order my choice of drink, I opted to just ask for the same , a vodka and lemonade. When the drinks arrived, one got a Martini and can of sprite, one got vodka in a shot glass and can of sprite and he didn't even bother to give me the drink I had ordered. We chose not to complain about this as the situation was already tense and embarrassing enough.

As we felt awkward and intimidated, we ate as fast as we could so we could leave. Despite the waiter standing behind us looking at our completed meal and walking past, looking at our empty plates we had to wait half an hour for him to actually take them and give us the bill, and that was only because I turned to ask for the bill while he was serving the table behind us!!

AWFUL SERVICE AND WILL NEVER RETURN!

1  Thank Kay J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

About 1.20pm, we found ourselves at ‘Al Pirata’, we have been really looking forward to having a fish dinner by the Adriatic, where the fish is so fresh. We felt we had to do it!
We decided to share a grilled platter of fish, which was intended as one portion, but when it arrived, we kept asking the waiter, ‘For one person?’
‘Si, for one person!’He deftly, scaled, deboned and beheaded the fish at our table then placed the fish on a platter for us to share. The accompaniments of vegetables, potatoes, pizza bread and normal bread, left us fit to burst.
Anne commented that this meal was even better than the meal we had for our Anniversary and I have to agree with her.
We shared a selection of sweets, had coffee and brandy and the bill came to 63 Euros.
It was a real treat.
We have our Belgium friends to thank for recommending this place to us.
We were finishing off our coffees when suddenly it got really dark, the waiters and the management were hurriedly clearing tables of cutlery, glasses and linen. We were sat in a courtyard covered with large parasols, each one joined by a zip, around the courtyard was a roofed area, under which were other tables. We volunteered to move to this roofed area, as the staff seemed to be concerned for the area we were sat in. They helped us move our drinks and paraphernalia.
No sooner had we moved than a torrent on the scale of biblical proportions came down as if a hundred firemen with hoses under the highest of pressure were aiming them at the area we had just been sat in. Immediately the parasols began to bow under the weight of the water they were collecting. Staff hurriedly unzipped the connections between parasols, unleashing water as if from a water fall. The water was just seeping into the courtyard from every direction. Drain pipes and guttering were unable to cope and so water cascaded everywhere and onto a table next to us where a family were eating, they had to move to a safer position, we seemed to be OK where we were sat, sheltering under the roofed area. All the time the rain fell, the accompanying thunder and lightning made conversation almost impossible.
Someone shouted not to worry; this rain would stop after 30 minutes!
After 45 minutes of incessant rainfall everyone was worried.
It was 3.20pm the restaurant manager had by now employed a pump to try to remove water from the flooded courtyard area, I think by this time he would have liked us all to leave so that he could get on with trying to get his restaurant back into some sort of order.
I looked outside onto the street, where the roads were flooded; there was no way we were going to walk back the mile or so to the campsite, not in my wives shoes (she was wearing them, not me!) so we booked a Taxi.Whilst waiting for the taxi the rain began to peter out, although the thunder persisted as the storm went out to sea.

We stood huddled in the restaurant entrance with the rest of the customers and staff, there was a feeling of camaraderie, as if we had all somehow got through something quite amazing together.
The taxi arrived and my wife's face dropped when she saw that she would have to walk through a river to get to the car door, so I did the chivalrous thing and lifted her into my arms and carried her to the car. Whilst doing so, I did think perhaps she’d had a little too much desert.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Amazing food. It feels and it tastes like Italy from the first bite to the last. Customer care is great. Don't hesitate to ask for tips on what to order. We wanted to order a lot of stuff and the person attending us advised us to order less because the portions are big. I recommend the seafood soup, the "cozze", pizza margherita. It's best to have a reservation. We asked the hotel to do that for us and it worked seamless.

1  Thank CosminG
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The seafood dishes were delicious, the service impeccable and the decor is very tasteful, with a marine theme. A bit pricey.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

Really lovely food! Would go again. Does a wide range of seafood, but also pasta.