“Mostly very good but not for everyone”
Review of Piccolo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Castiglione Della Pescaia
Piccolo Hotel
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This friendly hotel is well placed with the beach less than 1 minute away. The décor in the public areas is plentiful but interesting with historical books around for general perusal. The rooms, though not large, are modern and well equipped but alas the side of my face on the pillow lost circulation. I asked housekeeping for a softer pillow but, though sympathetic, they said it was not the hotel policy to provide everyone with a soft pillow. I'm not sure who is awarded them or why! I used the pillowcase and stuffed it with my own, softer, clothes. (It was a short 2 night stay and I couldn't be bothered to argue).

There is a large, open air, covered veranda with plenty of well spaced chairs and drinks tables for smokers and non-smokers to sit without disturbance between opposing camps. The dinner
is served promptly at 8 p.m. and, four courses later, finishes at 9 p.m. when diners then complete a form to say what they would like to eat the following evening. All the other guests appeared pleased with this arrangement and indeed the hotel seemed to be full of happy people discussing food. This hotel appeals to a variety of groups, including families with children and babies, all of whom stay up to enjoy dinner.

The hotel has its own parking, which is important being by the beach, but the entrance gate won't accommodate wide 4 x 4 type vehicles. If you are stuck with a large hire car, because the car hire company ran out of the more convenient smaller ones, best ask the hotel for the measurements of the car park gate in advance.

This hotel has a lift.

Room Tip: Check for soft pillows before you accept the room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The famliy that runs the Hotel is warm and friendly and the hotel is perfecly situated by the beach.
The manager helped us intenstly when we around midnight suspected a crack in the youngests finger. Ice, bandages and painrelif came delivered toghether with a very concerned attention.
Next time we will book in good time ahed so we can secure a table in the restaurant aswell!
Grazie mille.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days during our honeymoon and we had a wonderful time!

Room: We had lovely corner room on the top floor with a view of the ocean to the left and the castle to our right. By American standards the room was on the smallish size but as long as we kept everything neat, it worked out just fine. There was very little counter space in the bathroom though so I was happy my toiletry bag had a hook so I could hang it. There really wasn’t much décor but that didn’t matter much to us.

Location: Its one block from the beach, literally a 30 second walk to Bagno Castiglione, which was the closest beach. The main little town area over the bridge is under a 10 min walk. There were many restaurants and shops and gelato, of course. This area was actually pretty busy at night considering the town is so small. And don’t expect everyone to speak English, there were actually very few people there who did so be sure to know some basic Italian – this goes for the hotel staff as well.

Food: We opted for the half board (you can pick 2 of the 3 meals to have there with the half board rate) we choose breakfast and dinner. Each night they gave you a menu with a selection of appetizers, entrées and side dishs to choose from for the next day. The menus were in Italian though so we had to decipher them each night! However, everything was excellent!

Hints: I didn’t read the fine print and didn’t realize until the bill came that the price I was quoted over email was PER PERSON. I didn’t even give it a second thought since we don’t get charged that way in America so keep that in mind when booking. If you don’t finish your wine or water at your meal, they will save it for you to have at your next meal. There’s a little grocery store behind the hotel (on the same block), we would stop there to get snacks and drinks for the beach every morning. Silly us, we didn’t realize that we needed to have our own towels for the beach so we had to buy some. There are several shops that sell beach stuff on Via Ansedonia, the street right behind the hotel.The closest train station is in Grosetto, about a 45 euro ride.

Room Tip: There is no option for a room with a view so you just have to ask for it when you book
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sonia T
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Nice, friendly and professional service.
Room clean and with good amenities. Forniture a little old dated bit still pleasent.
Good restaurant and very nice service as well. Great value for the price.
I was looking for a connection and couldn't use my pc. The owner give me his Mac at full disposal. Location very close to the sea (not in the front) and from some room you can see the sea.
Clam area easy to access with car.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chalma
Reviewed 11 May 2008

My boyfriend and I have just stayed in this hotel and we just loved it. It is a very cosy hotel, nicely furnished and with a warm atmosphere.The owners are extremely nice and will make you feel at home. Above all the cuisine is superlative and one would never want to leave! I think it is very unusual to find a place like this anymore. The location is also perfect : only 40 meters from the beach! One of those place you will always want to go back to.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank marinaRoma
Reviewed 2 July 2007

My wife and I book this hotel through google earth. We went in September just at the end of rainstorms so the town was a little quiet. The hotel made up for everything, right next to the beech, excellent food, excellent service, the decor was relaxing and refined. Dinner was a lovely treat, the food great, most people were german or italian and everyone helped us in chosing our food (the menu wasn't in english at that stage. We had a lovely wine selected for us, which we didn't receive but the following evening the bottle was bought back to our table. Coming from London you expect poor service and to be ripped off. This wasn't the case here.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 3 October 2006

We have stayed on our trip through Italy one night in hotel Piccolo.
We were surprised by the warm atmosphere of the hotel and the good service.
The hotel is situated near the coast. The rooms are decorated very cosy. In the front of the hotel there is a very nice terras where you can enyoy a drink. Breakfast was very good. We planned to stay there for two nights. The weather however was to bad therefore we only stayed one night. Unfortunately we did not book for the dinner. We talked with a couple from Germany and they told us that next to the atmosphere the quality of the dinner was a reason for them to book the hotel.
With pain in our heart we left this hotel one day earlier as planned.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)