“Great Hotel”
Review of Hotel Traghetto

Hotel Traghetto
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Civitavecchia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was a great location for catching our cruise. Rooms are spacious n very clean. Desk staff were welcoming and very accommodative. They helped us find our way to our port, provided free bottled water and free WiFi. We even asked them how to get into Rome after the cruise and well after our stay with them and they were very willing to help us. Great customer service all the way.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michele B

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Excellen hotel, rooms clean, staff extremely friendly and helpful. Bed very comfortable. Breakfast was enjoyable and staff in the dining room extremely helpful. We only stayed the one night the day before our cruise. We had the room at the top of the hotel a larg balcony where we could sit and watch all the cruise ships coming in overnight. Very helpful with shuttle to ship.

Room Tip: Like a tardis it looked small outside but larger on inside. Very quiet at the top of the hotel but...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 28Gloria
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We needed to drop of our rental car two days before we boarded our cruise ship in Civitavecchia so we needed a hotel. Having been there before but NEVER to stay I did my research and sent out an email to the Hotel Traghetto. Giuseppe replied within hours and was incredibly helpful. He sent me info on how to get from the airport to the port, from Rome to the port, the best place to rent a car. All so very helpful.

Upon arrival we were greeted effusively, offered cappuccino or wine, and taken to the best room in the house…fourth floor corner with a balcony overlooking the port. We spent time getting to know Giuseppe and the night clerk (oh my…what was his name????) and Miriam who was the server and cook. Breakfast was wonderful: meats/cheeses/hot and cold cereals/yogurts and so on. And, all the cappuccinos you can drink! Oh yes….the pizza place right next door was amazing!

Great value, great property, great staff, great way to get ready to go on your cruise if you are like me and don't like arriving the day of embarkation, or a great way to decompress after your cruise. We will be back, for sure, in the fall!

Room Tip: We loved the corner room on the fourth floor with the wrap around balcony…could see right to the por...
5  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The things that redeem this hotel are a very helpful staff and easy transit to the cruise port. Otherwise, the rooms could be cleaner, the breakfast offerings are marginal, and it is not very accessible. There are 10 steps to negotiate to get to the elevator and there was no one to help with the luggage. This was an issue to us since my husband has had multiple knee surgeries. The price is right, though.

The pizzeria on the corner is amazingly good and well priced. The sea walk in Civitavecchia is quite lovely.

1  Thank Jackie D
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I enjoy cruises for the total relaxation they can provide. Ideally, that relaxation begins long before the actual embarkation. Essential in my planning is to complete the stress of travel the day before the cruise begins and settle into a hotel as close to the port as possible. For my recent cruise from Rome I reserved a hotel room in Civitavecchia for this reason. Subsequently, as I was perusing Trip Advisor for information leading up to my cruise, I found the reviews of Hotel Traghetto, Those reviews were so consistently and favorably enthusiastic that I cancelled my existing reservation and arranged to stay at Traghetto. I was very happy I made the change. My experience exceeded that of previous reviewers. I classified the room as average in my rating but for all the other more important parameters the hotel was truly outstanding. The hotel is located close to the cruise port and, as but one indication of the excellent service it provides, it arranges (for a small charge) transportation directly to the ship. The hotel is also able to provide (for additional charge) transportation from the Rome airport to the hotel. With proper planning one need not worry about transfers and travel stresses from the time one boards the plane at home until boarding the ship one or more days later. I was surprised, when enjoying the included breakfast on the day of embarkation, to discover that there were many experienced cruisers staying at this hotel who had learned from previous visits how convenient and totally satisfactory it is. Other reviewers have mentioned the excellent general service and helpfulness of employees and they have also noted that the hotel manager, Giuseppe, is truly extraordinary in his commitment to ensuring that all guests have a happy, cheerful, relaxing start of their cruise vacation. From the time I decided to stay at Hotel Traghetto until Giuseppe waved us goodbye as we left for embarkation on the ship I had received exactly the quality hospitality I wanted to start my cruise. I would be sure to stay at Hotel Traghetto if I were to plan another cruise out of Rome.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank John828
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Thanks to reviews on tripadvisor we booked this hotel prior our cruise in November.
It could not have been a better choice. We were greeted by Alleshandro and Guiseppe
in perfect English and they made our short stay very enjoyable. The rooms are clean and some are bigger than others. #402 is huge and has a lovely balcony overlooking the port.
A small elevator is available. We got directions to the closest grocery store which was close to the hotel and still open on a Sat. night. We also had dinner at a great Pizzaria next door to the hotel. Breakfast was wonderful and included and it was nice to visit with passengers from our upcoming cruise over coffee. Guiseppe arranged for transportation to port the next morning. He communicated with us prior our stay and even send an email while we were on the ship because I had left a gift for a friend that he picked up after we left. We highly recommend this hotel for your next visit to Civitavecchia. Mille gracie.

Room Tip: 402 is the room with a view of the port and lovely balcony.
3  Thank 2muchfun4us
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed at the Traghetto on route to our cruise. What a treat. Giuseppe, who speaks fabulous English, is always super helpful. Numerous other staff speak enough English to get by, and we had no problem. We travelled in Mid October, a few days in London en route, and Giuseppe emailed us to warn us of a general strike in Italy, the day we were due to fly in, so we were able to change our flight to the day before, to ensure we didn't miss our cruise. He even booked a Mercedes van to pick us up at the airport, and accommodated us for the extra night at his hotel. Civitavecchia is a lovely city. I've given this a 4 star, 5 star for awesome service, the hotel is probably a 3 star by North American standards, but the rooms are nice and large etc. We were told where to find the town market, and the local grocery store for fab wine, cheese and bread for a snack. Giuseppe gave us directions to a couple of very nice, very reasonable restaurants. One was La Nuova Toretta, 20 Euros each for a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine, very nice. The hotel was spotless and quiet. Breakfast was lovely, although I was a bit confused as to wether we could order espresso etc, so I did anyway, because I like good coffee, and it was included in the free breakfast. There are about half a dozen stairs to negotiate to get to the elevator, so keep that in mind for your luggage. Nothing compared to our mistake taking the train from Rome previously...down and back up the 2 full flights of railway stairs with our suitcases at the Civitavecchia station...I was worried we might have had a heart attack on our hands. We walked along the lovely sea walk. There is lots to do in and around the city. Don't hesitate to spend a couple of days there, it doesn't need to be all about Rome, if you've been to Rome before. They also have their own ruins close by.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family