“exellent hotel”
Review of Hotel San Giorgio

Hotel San Giorgio
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Civitavecchia
Reviewed 14 February 2014

our 3rd visit to this hotel and the standards remain excellent , the staff professional , and helpful, accommodate all requests ,the rooms are well furnished and comfortable
the restaurant .food is superb thanks to Pino the chef
Damietta maître de has the most charming personality is helpful and knowledgeable in guiding your choice from a great menu
the provision of shuttle service from airport is a bonus would highly recommend a stay either pre or post cruise

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patriciamcmanus
EleonoraPalomba, Direttore at Hotel San Giorgio, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear patriciamcmanus,

thank you for your third stay at the Hotel San Giorgio and for your review. We are really glad you enjoyed our restaurant and our kitchen, one of the most renomated restaurant of the town with a great selection of fresh fish and homemade pasta and an excellent selection of meet and typical homemade Italian dessert.

The shuttle service is really appreciated from our Cruise Travelers and we would like to inform all the Guest that they can contact directly the Hotel in order to have all the information regarding this service. Furthermore Hotel San Giorgio it is the unique Hotel that has the permission to arrive underneath the ship with the shuttle bus, in order to board in the utmost comfort.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again on your next cruise

Arrivederci

Reviewed 20 December 2013

The San Giorgio is the ideal place to stay before climbing onto a cruise ship from Civitavecchia. It is located a 5 minute walk for the train station so couldn't be easier to get to.

The staff were warm and welcoming when I trudged into the hotel after two trains from the airport. If you are coming by train from FCO to thoughts - 1. Take the Express train to Termini and then a train to Civitavecchia so that you can get a seat on both. 2. Be warned that you will need to go down a flight a steps and up another when you get to Civitavecchia.

The hotel was clean and well taken care of. The room was large and comfortable with good heat and a nice bathroom. Not sure why I was given a handicapped room but solo travellers seem to throw Italian hotels so I wasn't going to complain. Plenty of water pressure and hot water.

I had dinner at a pizza place down the street that was excellent and good value as well. The hotel pushed their restaurant rather hard.

Breakfast was served in a room on the top floor with stunning sea views. Coffee was hard to get from the rather half hearted staff. The buffet was plentiful, although the muffin I had was too dry to eat.

The walk to the free port shuttle is 7 minutes from door to door. The hotel tried very hard to sell me their 10 Euro transfer straight to the ship. If you were carrying a lot of luggage that might be worthwile but I only travel with what I can manage so was happy to walk the 7 minutes.

Overall a nice experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Rachellejv
EleonoraPalomba, Direttore at Hotel San Giorgio, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Mrs Rachellejv ,

thank you for choosing Hotel San Giorgio for your stay in Civitavecchia before the cruise and for leaving a review .

We are happy that you have enjoyed the attitude of our staff and the rooms of the Hotel. The roof garden is very appreciated from our guest and it is a good way to start the day.

We would like to inform also all the guest that the hotel has shuttle service departing from the FCO Airport and that they can contact the hotel before the arrival in order to have all the information related to this service.

Our shuttle service from the Hotel to the Cruise Termina is very appreciated from the cruise travelers because permit to all the guest to board in the maximum comfort.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again on your next stay in Civitavecchia

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed there from 12th to 15th Dec. We travelled with close friends. It is a lovely charming hotel with friendly staff and clean rooms. We had a room with a phenomenal view of the ocean. The real deal about this place however is the restaurant helmed by their manager Damieta. Excellent service and food and wine pairing. Their Danish steak with truffle sauce and lobster linguine was to die for. We had it twice. It is not very expensive for a fancy meal and it is the only place in this town where the money is well spent. Tip - If in doubt on what to order, always go with Damieta's suggestions, you will not be disappointed. She will roll out the freshest seafood for the day for you to choose from and give suggestions on how it will be prepared. Everyone in my group of 6, including my two young children had an enjoyable stay and food at this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms which face the ocean
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank akram k
Reviewed 15 December 2013

It's soo much negative to write,that simply I would not ever come back to this hotel. Service was the most I didn't like! Room deluxe was ok,but very dark.. It was said that I can use a pool,when I got there,they asked me for a ticket from the hotel..when I kindly asked to open bottle of wine for me they asked for 7 euros...a lot of small disappointing things,and no one helped with heavy luggage to go up the stairs!(

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Olgasiney

Dear Olgasiney,

thank you for choosing Hotel San Giorgio for your stay in Civitavecchia. We are sorry you did not fully enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and regarding your review we would like to inform all the guest that the Hotel San Giorgio has an agreement with an indoor pool and in order to get the free ticket entrance during the week (Monday to Friday) and you should ask for the free pass at the reception desk.

Hotel San Giorgio has a restaurant and a bar at the inside and it is standard Hotels attitude to ask for a cork fee for opening a bottle that was not purchased in our Hotel, and this happen also in the Ship during the cruise.

We would like to inform also all the guest that after the entrance of the door of the Hotel there is an elevator at the right side of the Hotel in order to do not carry the luggage and we invite the Guest to leave the bags downstairs and go to the front desk in order to request help.

Arrivederci

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

All staff are very friendly, polite, helpful and professional. Incredible service. Tasty food as well. Would stay here again anytime. Thank you Damieta, waiter at the restaurant, her leg was sore you can see she must have in pain but still delivered great service with a beautiful smile. Delicious food, at dinner perfect pasta and delicious, moist chocolate cake, kudos to the chef.
Thank you Mette, the supervisor that made all of this possible!
5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ thank you!
Herman Oosthuizen

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Herman O
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just disembarked from RSS Mariner on Nov 10, 2013 for overnight stay to join HAL Prinsendam the next day for return to US. The Receptionist was so kind to give us #202 for early check-in. Nice view of the ocean and promenade. Hotel is conveniently located to center of town and very close to the cruise terminal. Used the pre-arranged hotel shuttle from and to this terminal. Otherwise, taxis are available at the cruise terminal. Room is clean and basic. TV in the room is available by subscription to Sky TV. Tried to use the internet in the lobby but unfortunately, it was in Italian. B'fast was included in the room rate. Would use this hotel again the next time in Civitavecchia.

Room Tip: Be sure to request for ocean view rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank erict4079
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This hotel business is shady to say the least. They charged me 3 times on my credit card for 1 room which I did not even get to stay in due to plumbing problems. Manager said everything was taken care since I already paid twice in advance then he sent me to another hotel and charged my credit card again. This time higher than I originally paid. They said I made two reservations with them and did not cancel one. If that's the case that's fine but why then the third charge for additional 167.00. I called Expedia and they contacted the so called Manager Ambria and he said he would not refund any of the charges. This is outrageous. I would not recommend this Hotel to my worst enemy. Now, I am expecting a very nasty email back from them as they always do with negative reviews with a bunch of lies. Read some of the other negative reviews. There is a history here. Beware! I would give it zero stars if I could.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo