“Stressful vacation”

Ranked #48 of 50 Hotels in Cortina d'Ampezzo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Stressful vacation”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We usually book a very nice meublé in Cortina town, but this year we had decided to stay closer to Socrepes, where the kids take their skiing lessons. The proximity was the only really good thing about this mess of a hotel.

When I booked the family room in September I was in contact with a perfectly agreeable person called Massimo. Unfortunately he couldn't promise the room from the first of January, so we got a room for the week 02/01/2012 (D/M/Y) - 08/01/2012, which is normal during this season in Cortina. Only full weeks can be booked. Which is really crazy, since the "hotel week" never actually corrisponds to the "ski school week". But this is something to discuss with the hotels' association of Cortina I guess.

Sorry for digressing.

Anyway, during the first days of december I started calling the hotel, hoping to speek to Massimo. He was never there. He could never come to the phone. Other people, rather unpleasant, eventually managed to confirm my booking.

Then on the first, while traveling by car to Cortina, I called the hotel, because Massimo had promised to give me any room that by chance was left by other customers early.

Initially it seemed there was a double free, which would have been fine as the kids could stay with friends in town.

But as soon as they realized who was calling, the double room disappeared. Ok, I called the hotel next door (Piccolo Pocol, extremely nice meublé!) and they had a room free.

Finally the next day, January 2, we checked in. The hotel staff was extremely surprised by the fact that our children are not babies, but rather big pre-teens, even though I had told them this repeatedly. They had to get an extra bed from another hotel. The room they finally gave us was extremely small with hardly no space to move.

The bathroom was small and unpractical as well. Bathtub instead of shower. And no possibility to use it as shower since the shower faucet didn't have a holder.

Actually these things are unpractical, but don't really matter.

What matters is that we arrived after the first day of skiing and the water was only lukewarm. No way to get hot water. After one shower it was cold.
So I complained. And the answer was "Well, this is a hotel in the mountains you know. Obviously the plumming is colder than in other places..."
It took them two days of complaining to raise the water temperature. Obvuously the plumming had decided to cooperate...

The room was cold too and the radiators spent. No way I could dry the kids clothes. So I asked them about it and they referred to an Italian law that regulates radiator hours. The law undoubtedly exists, but in 10 years of tourism I have never come across a hotel in the Dolomites that applies those laws. We have kids with wet clothes for heavens sake! So after two days of complaining, we finally found the room heated when we came back.

Next, dinner time. The included menu was extremely poor. The rice was almost uncooked, the portion was too small, che chicken dish consisted mostly of wings so I spent the whole dinner trying to find som meat for the kids. Next morning, breakfast. Extremely poor. No fresh juices, no fresh coffee. Everything from a machine. Industrial bread, but som mornings there were only cakes, no bread at all. When one morning I asked where the whole fat natural yogurt was, the breakfast-girl told me that since I was the only one eating non-sugary yogurt, of course that type would finish before other types of yogurt. Sigh.

Then we told the hotel that we were leaving early. It had nothing to do with the hotel, only with my husbands work. So on the last morning I go down and remind the owner that we're leaving. And he raises his voice with a really insulting tone (you have to travel to Rome to know what I mean) telling me that we would never get a discount, and it was not his fault we were leaving, and other such things.

I was really glad to leave the place.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank annary71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Hungarian first
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 23 January 2010

We chose the Sport Hotel Pocol as our base while skiing and sightseeing for five days in Cortina. This was part of a family vacation (six adults). The hotel was very charming and all three of our clean, cozy rooms had fabulous mountain views. The breakfasts were delicious (amazing fresh crossaints and little donuts), and the dinners were very satisfying after a day of skiing. The owner/manager was gruff and surprisingly unprofessional at times, but the rest of the staff were mostly polite. Claudia, the lovely English-speaking staff member, was a doll. She made our visit. Be aware that the hotel is outside of town (not within walking distance from the center), but there's a ski bus stop about 250 meters down the road, and that bus makes regular stops in town and at the ski areas. Overall, this was a great value and a nice place to spend a few days in the mountains.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Israel
Reviewed 13 October 2009

We dropped in on our way down from Falzarego Pass to Cortina, some 7 minutes before the town. Good location for car trips in de surroundings. Down in the town you pay much more. The hotel was not yet bussy at the end of june. The room was modern and nice . The small balcony had a nice view to the mountains. Very nice breakfast room with a good breakfast. Small bar with a big sitting room. In the evening you can get easily to Cortina for restaurants and bars.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple