“A grand old dame of hospitality”
Review of De la Poste

De la Poste
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Cortina d'Ampezzo
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I was utterly astonished at the old world charm of this hotel in the center of Cortina. A fine family run place with lots of comfortably well worn furniture going back to the fifties when the Olympics were held in Cortina and Hemingway was a regular guest there and the seventies too. So a touch of nostalgia creeps in to the memories I have stored up for future reference. i just loved the warm welcome from staff and owners, and can't think of anywhere I'd rather drink a Bellini (champagne with freshly made white peach juice made famous by Harry's Bar in Venice) though it was perfect on the terrace on a warm summer evening and in the bar with their famous barman, Antonio, plying you with ... Just one more, sir?
la Poste and the area around Cortina are wonderful if you want to explore the Dolomites and enjoy the many activities on offer but also a place where you will find a great welcome, fine food and a whole bunch of memories to take home with you.

Room Tip: We had a superior double with a lovely big bathroom, but I understand the rooms are all very differe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank michelangelo

Reviewed 18 July 2013

What can I say! Myself and my husband travel to Cortina every year and this year we decided there was no place more perfect for us to get married and we, with a help from a friend, organised our wedding for 20 June this year. We had everything organised when we found out that our favourite restaurant where we wanted to eat after our wedding closed on Thursdays so we had to find somewhere else. Our only criteria was that it had to be nice, in the centre of town, have good food, and a terrace, and allow us to eat from the ala carte menu in the limited time that we had. Having eaten at, and enjoyed previously, De La Poste, we approached them to give it a try!
We could not have been more pleased with what we were offered and given. We had 10 guests who we asked to sit outside on the terrace, explained that we didn't have a lot of time on the day as we had a later appointment, and we were blown away when we arrived!

We were greeted with an outside table for 10, set up with glasses, cutlery and even a lovely floral centrepiece. The service from the staff was second to none as we were greeted, seated, given aperitifs (free of charge, basically as much prosecco as we wanted during the meal), lovely canapés and then our choice of meal from the menu.

Before we left we were also presented with a lovely cheesecake wedding cake, organised by our friends and made by the hotel (they weren't happy about making a cheesecake wedding cake but it was what our friends asked for so they made it!) which they boxed for us to take away with us.

The staff and presentation were second to none - I highly recommend De La Poste for anyone wishing to have a wedding meal in Cortina. I wouldn't hesitate to do it all again!

A wonderful place, wonderful staff, overall a wonderful experience :-)

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunseekerkirsty
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We recently stayed here on a family Ski Holiday. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Service and rooms were gorgeous. I did find the getting to the slopes on the bus a bit difficult but fortunately the ski bus stops at door of hotel. Rooms very clean and quaint. Linens a bit tired. I loved the bath products !!! fluffy white robes were nice too. Only complaint was wifi in room a little slow. In lobby area it was fine though. Staff very helpful. Breakfast lovely but do note that they will prepare eggs for you if you request it. only realised this on the 2nd day. I would go back and definitely recommend it to friends. Food very well priced and delicious in hotel but do take time to explore the surrounding places to eat too, found some real gems.

Room Tip: we had a room with view of the mountain, on 4th floor, very quiet up there which I like
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Pandadownunder
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We - my wife and I - spent four wonderful mid-week days at the end of season in this very classic hotel catching the last of the snow on the slopes and a lot of sunshine. Hotel de la Poste is an “old school“ hotel in the very best sense of the word. Our standard room was large, quiet and tastefully furnished with original, carefully renovated furniture, private terrace and a breathtaking view of the sunset over the mountains. Everywhere, from arrival to departure, we were met by staff with sincere interest in our well-being and obvious pride in their métier. The half board took us generously and skillfully through many of the classics of the regional and national kitchen. The waiting in the restaurant was superb. Housekeeping twice a day and the meticulous, monogrammed damask linens everywhere contributed to the “old world atmosphere” of the place. We can only give our best recommendations and hope to be back…

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DrMads
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We just returned from our stay at the Hotel de la Poste. The hotel was clean and very comfortable. The rooms were well appointed in a European way. There was an Old World Charm there that can't be duplicated in a newer hotel. The service was excellent and the staff was delightful. Lorenzo, the conceirage, was fantastic and the bartender, Giovanni, made great drinks and answered lots of questions. We loved the location and the easy access to great restaurants and shopping. The ski room was small but since we were there fairly late in the season, we had no problems finding room for our boots and skis. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank JBrewer044
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel de la poste is a great place. We feel there like at home. Lorenzo, the concierge, is great! Valerio at the dining room knows want I would like for dinner just reading in my mind. The rooms are clean even if some of them need to be updated. Overall a great spot, our second home. Ps don't miss the aperitivo at the grill, Antonio's Bellini is amazing!!

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank EleUdinTrip
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I think this old, ornate hotel near the center of Cortina is somewhat overated. I stayed here several days while day hiking in the Dolomites. The hotel is in a central location, but the parking area is an uphill distance away in a separate lot. My room was somewhat elaborate, with double doors, but my bath lacked a curtain. Also, the hair dryer was cracked. I can't get worked up over the fact that they provided a TV, a safe, or turn down service. That was expected for the price. Downstairs the restaurant is more impressive than the bar. The lobby is comfortable if you're with a large party that needs space to get together. Otherwise, you probably won't use it much. The historic center of town location may be a plus, but some of the village requires an uphill walk. So if you are visiting when rates are low, maybe take a chance. But I suggest shopping around if the price is high.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo