“Excellent”

Grand Hotel Diana Majestic
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Diano Marina
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My husband and I booked at last minute for 3 nights through a hotel website. It was absolutely easy. We was in the Grand Hotel Diana Majestic the first time and we definitely will come back! We also recommend this hotel to our friends. It was a great pleasure to stay here, the service was perfect and also the personal. GREAT!

Room Tip: we had a classic room in the 4th floor and we'd choose this again.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
paolovignone, Direttore at Grand Hotel Diana Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Thank you for your comments. I’m very pleased that you were satisfied with our services and enjoyed your stay in Diano Marina.
You satisfaction means really a lot to us!
Thanks again for having chosen the Grand Hotel Diana Majestic.

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Diana Majestic

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed here 5 days with our 4 children. The location at the beach side was really fantastic, with the terrace (breakfast, bar) overseeing the see. The pool and the garden with seats is big and quiet, very nice. The service is very good, but not personal. You have seats at the pool, but have to pay for towels (3,5 euro a day ). At the see, you have a sitting place free, but you have to pay for a longchair.
The half board formula is OK, the snack restaurant at the pool very nice.
So it's a very nice location, really worthwile, but it's not cheap. The service is correct but not personal, don't ask for special service, nothing is free in this hotel (but with paying you can get a lot done...). We asked to eat one night on the seaside a la carte restaurant instead of the halfboard, by paying supplementary of course, but this was not possible. We didn't understand why... But in total, a very nice vacation ! Really.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Gee_Cat
paolovignone, Direttore at Grand Hotel Diana Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

Dear geert-hespel,

You satisfaction means really a lot to us!
Thanks again for having chosen the Grand Hotel Diana Majestic.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

We booked the Diana Majestic in Diano Marina through the hotel website, and the process was easy. We booked a master suite which was over 500 Euros a night for High Season. We also had friends staying in a standard (loft) room for about 260 Euros a night. Our journey was by car from the South of France and we found the hotel easily, and found lots of parking space in the hotel’s open-air parking lot, which looked quite secure. We were not charged for parking.

Unfortunately, the middle-aged lady who ‘greeted’ us at Reception when we arrived at noon was not very friendly. She seemed rather upset that we had dragged her out of the back office where she was busy doing something. So the check-in process for us was rather mechanical and just efficient. Unfortunately no explanations whatsoever were offered regarding the bar, the restaurant, dinner, breakfast, the leisure facilities or the town – and the lady had to hurry back into the office. We had to find out more about the hotel later by asking questions or by reading the in-room hotel directory. We were nevertheless offered to use the pool as we were early and our room was not ready.

Our suite comprised of two rooms which accommodated a family of four very well. The bedroom and the living room were relatively spacious; and the kids’ beds were already prepared in the living room. Although there was no wow factor to the accommodation, the rooms and the bathroom were clean, ample and comfortable. The furnishings may have been rather ordinary, but they looked modern enough, and the housekeeping ladies who always offered a smile and a buongiorno made a very good and consistent job of keeping the rooms in order. Climate control in the rooms was unproblematic. The views of the town and the beach from the large windows of the two rooms were excellent. The suite had a very large terrace with a table and four chairs, as well as two cushioned sun-loungers, and plenty of space. Unfortunately, as the walls of the terrace were waist-high one had to stand and walk right up to the edge to enjoy the impressive views of the coast, the town of Diano Marina, and the hills behind. (Railings instead of low walls would have made such a striking difference.) We had no real view of the pool, but the other suite on the same floor had views of the pool and the beach from their balcony. We had the terrace and the Jacuzzi of the hotel’s best suite above our bedroom, and unfortunately the residents of this suite were rather keen on using their Jacuzzi fairly early in the morning – and you do hear the noise which can be enough to wake you up. If you’re thinking of booking a master suite, you may be slightly better off asking for 404 than 405.

I still believe that someone in the Italian hotel industry needs to start a revolution as regards breakfast; because while Italian lunches and dinners are generally excellent, the breakfasts leave a lot to be desired. While breakfasts at Diana majestic were quite good by Italian standards - with ample fresh fruit and reasonable cereals provided - I just can’t understand why - with the worldwide fame of quality Italian sausages - they still insist on serving those horrible fatty insipid factory-made sausages, not just here, but at most Italian hotels. The variety of bread here was also OK, but just that: “OK”. I’ve had a better variety of quality fresh wholegrain bread offered to me at Sri Lankan hotels. (The best hotel breads I’ve had have been at German and Swiss hotels.) Also there was an “egg station” with a tiny portable electric cooker and a young inexperienced egg chef churning out mediocre eggs very slowly. On the first morning, I arrived just as the eggs for the person in front of me were being placed in the pan; and I literally had to stand around for another15 minutes before my egg was done. I didn’t bother with freshly-made eggs on other mornings. I would suggest a gas cooker, with a more experienced chef; and small amounts of vegetable oil rather than big chunks of butter. Breakfast service was fairly efficient, but knives which were removed mid-breakfast were not replaced, and you had to roam the breakfast area in search of one, or find someone who could let you have a knife each time. Again, another area which the hotel may consider improving.

I liked the 2 swimming pools which catered well for both children and adults with plenty of sun-loungers. The pool attendant was a very pleasant and smiley young man. Please be aware that there is a 3.50 Euros per towel charge at the pool which is quite off-putting.

There is also a charge for the use of sunbeds on the hotel’s stretch of beach; deckchairs on the beach are free. By South of France or Ligurian standards the beach is fairly good albeit very narrow with soft but very dense sand. The immediate waters are somewhat murky, shallow, have been calmed, and are ideal for swimming or families with young children. You should still expect hawkers even on the ‘private’ beaches. There are a couple of quite good snack bars nearby for lunch.

There was no pool-side service as such, but at lunchtimes, the restaurant by the pool served fine daily specials for 11 Euros which I thought was quite good value. We also had a-la-carte dinner on the main restaurant terrace on our first evening. The meal itself was good although there were mixed reviews at the table. There were three let-downs to the dinner. First, the waiter’s choice of Ligurian red wine turned out to be a very young quite tart wine which none of us liked. Also one of the desserts (fresh fruit flambéed at the table) was so alcoholic that we were not able to go past the first spoon. We asked our waiter for coffee after desserts and he said we had to go inside to the hotel bar to order our coffees. Not something I wanted to hear when I’m paying well over 500 Euros a night at a 4-star hotel. I have no idea why the waiting staff can’t relay the hot drinks orders to the bar themselves. So one of us had to get up and go to the bar to order teas and coffees. We decided to have dinner in town after that.

The same hot-drinks situation occurred after having lunch by the pool-side restaurant. Unfortunately on almost all occasions that our group ordered coffee – including breakfast – it arrived rather lukewarm. I myself didn’t bother ordering another coffee after my third tepid coffee because I prefer my coffees hot.

Mondays to Thursdays there was entertainment on the restaurant terrace which was reasonable in quality and quite enjoyable depending on your taste in music and bands.

We always got smiles from the cleaning and housekeeping staff; Luca who worked at both restaurants was very friendly and approachable; and so was one of the gentlemen at the bar. We had a much friendlier older gentleman at Reception at check-out to whom I enjoyed chatting with. Other than that, I didn’t get an overall feel of happy friendly staff (especially at breakfast service); but I have no major complaints with staff’s competency or efficiency on the whole. On one occasion around 2:30 p.m. the bar was unattended for about 10-15 minutes and we had to get someone from Reception to find us someone to serve us.

I have been to a few Ligurian towns. The town of Diano Marina was not the most inspiring: it is a fairly ordinary small town, with no continuous seaside promenade and only a modicum of charm. (In the vicinity I would instead suggest the towns of Finale Ligure or Alessio or Laigueglia or even San Remo.) From the hotel, it is a good 10-minute walk to the edge of the happening part of town, and an additional10 minutes to the very centre. Most of the eating establishments are café-style, with comparatively few proper restaurants at the centre of town. I would definitely recommend Pizzeria Fra Diavolo and Osteria Vico del Rame. There is a lovely gelateria a few steps from the latter.

All in all I have quite mixed feelings about our trip to Diano Marina, both about the town and the hotel. The best parts were the views, relaxing by the pool and sipping a cocktail on the very pleasant restaurant terrace. We probably would not return to this town, but I would not discourage anyone from staying at the Diana Majestic despite our own lacklustre stay.

Room Tip: Suite 404 rather than 405
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank Londonmammoth2
paolovignone, Direttore at Grand Hotel Diana Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you for reviewing Grand Hotel Diana Majestic.

We carefully read your comments about our hotel and we welcome all guests feeback, positive and negative: this is how we learn and hopefully improve upon the quality of our services.

Our main goal is to make all our guests feel welcome and comfortable while they are with us. And, most of our customers comments appreciate the friendliness and efforts of our staff. Another point of strength is considered to be our buffet breakfast which tries to satisfy the tastes of our international clientele

We are certainly glad you liked the friendliness from our housekeeping, Luca and Doriano the gentleman at the reception this really means a lot to us.

Please come back and let us show you how important you are.

Thanks a lot for staying with us.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

hotel very good especially the food. Very expensive area and hotel lacks atmosphere, no music with your cocktails etc [ if you could afford a cocktail 12-20 euro]. Beach at times smelly but always very crowded with sunbeds so view spoilt. Sunbeds were 19 euro per day for two. No promenade by this part of the beach so to walk into Diana Marino is along many private beaches or via a noisy dusty unattractive road.
Our room, 209, was front seaview with a balcony and when the doors were open the sound of the sea was lovely.
The lunchtime a la carte for 11 euros upwards was a very small dish of cold pasta.
The pool and gardens however are very tranquil.

Room Tip: can only comment on room 209 but clean comfortable quiet with sea front view
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank roberta_underwood
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Lovely hotel with everything you would expect from a 4 star hotel....comfortable clean rooms, delicious food, private beach, garden, swimming pools and friendly attentive staff. It's in a quiet location right on the beach but within 10 mins walk of the town with all it's shops, cafes, restaurants and promenade. The staff were very helpful and friendly and most of them spoke good English.
I particularly liked this hotel because they were able to provide me with delicious gluten free food. I had fresh bread rolls, croissants and gluten free pasta plus lots of extra gluten free goodies! I also found 2 local restaurants that did gluten free pizzas.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alis0n27
paolovignone, Direttore at Grand Hotel Diana Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2011

Dear Alis0n27,
thanks for the nice words, an incentive to try everytime our better. And for us it's important that you have us reccomented for people with celiac problems.
You are always welcome!!!!

Paolo Vignone
Direttore

Reviewed 18 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with my parents, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The rooms were lovely, clean, spacious, bathrooms great and we even had turndown service. Reception were really helpful and spoke very good english. View of the sea from our rooms was excellent, felt more like we were on a boat looking out to sea. Only negative at all was the staff at breakfast were miserable both mornings. Great hotel and lots of very pretty old villages to visit nearby, we found amazing restaurants too.

Room Tip: We booked a superior sea-view room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed the last two nights before the hotel closed down for the winter. Often in these cases,the staff are getting a bit demob -happy,but not here. Prompt,friendly and professional to the end,though it may have been helped that there was a big posh wedding there on the penultimate night. We were upgraded to an executive room which are not any bigger than standard ones,but are furnished nicer and have upmarket toiletries etc,plus a turndown service.The bar area is excellent,but the drinks prices are on the high side. We did not actually eat in the hotel,as they seemed understandably rather preoccupied with the wedding. But 10 mins stroll away are the superb restaurants in the town;you could stay there a fortnight and not visit a great eatery twice. I like Diano Marina. It's clean,safe and tasteful,without being pompous or pretentious.I should imagine in the summer,the Diana Majestic would be a great,if quite pricy, place to stay,and the final feather in its cap is the fact that there is plenty of parking available;a REAL plus point in so many Italian coastal resorts.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple