“The EdelWORSE not Edelweiss”
Review of Edelweiss Nuovo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Erice
Edelweiss Nuovo
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Erice
jacksonville, florida
“The EdelWORSE not Edelweiss”
Reviewed 17 February 2011

After more than 30 years of both business and leisure travel, our experience at the Edelweiss in the medieval hilltop town of Erice, Sicily may be the most unfortunate of all. This hotel should not be in business, and perhaps reported to the Italian government for unethical business practices. We arrived in February, and only 3 hotels in Erice were open. Unfortunately, we chose the Edelweiss for our one night stay. The hotel has Visa/Mastercard signs on display, and a credit card processing machine. We were told the price would be 60 euros. We were also told that our room was on the first floor (room 107), but had to take luggage up two flights of stairs to our room. The halls are completely unlit, so at night we were groping around for light switches when other hotels install motion-detector activated hall lighting. Our room was dusty and had a slight odor which I initially attributed to it being unused for a long period of time. However, the odor never went away. When we first entered our room it felt cold, and we assumed that it would get warmer after the heat was on for a while. We opened the radiators to full but the room never got above 15 C/59 F degrees the entire night. This was only the start of our problems. The light in the bathroom did not work, the toilet leaked all over the floor, and the grand finale was attempting to shower in the morning with no hot water available at all. The staff was not helpful, bordering on hostile. The breakfast was quite uninspired and spare. The checkout was the final insult. I presented my credit card and was told that the price if we paid by credit card would be 82 euros, not 60 euros. We paid the 60 euros, and then had to cajole the proprietess into giving us a receipt, which is an Italian legal requirement. Asking for a receipt should not be necessary when one checks out of a hotel. In retrospect, we should have paid with a credit card and then charged it back. A hotel should not be in business if it can't provide adequate lighting, heat and hot water, supplies unclean rooms, and is run by uncaring staff. Do yourself a big, big favor and run far away from the Edelweiss when visiting Erice. I literally cannot recall a worse hotel experience.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cheadle1

South Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2009

I rang the hotel direct and booked room for the 4 of us for 1 night. Receptionist had bad telephone skillls. I picked the Edelweiss as it was the lowest price I could find in expensive (but gorgeous) Erice. When we arrived we were told the price of the room. It was different to the price quoted on the phone. I had sent an email to them confirming my booking and the price (because of the bad telephone communication) but did not have a copy of my email. They hadn't responded to it anyway. They just said no these are the prices. They were written on a board for all to see. They did give me a E10 discount off their price. We were stuck and had to stay there - I didn't want to waste time looking elsewhere. The staff lack social skills and I wonder how much Italian they actually speak! The room itself was very clean and beds were comfortable but very cramped (which is fine for 1 night). It was like staying in a well kept 1970's hotel. Breakfast was bad. I would only recommend this hotel to those travelling on a low budget and only if you can't find anything cheaper. Have breakfast elsewhere and not at the bar nearby (same owners). It did not spoil our time in Erice though as we did not spend a lot of time in our room.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank tomkate
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 May 2009

I had to step on my bed if I wanted to look outside of my window, overlooking a small village square.
The room was small, the bed tiny, there was no shower curtain in the shower, the breakfast was awfull and when I checked in, I was told that the only form of payment accepted was cash.
I had to withdraw cashto pay for the room, with a nice comission for my bank, and when I left, I just saw a client paying with a credit card, on a machine that had sidenly appeared from behind the desk...
hem hem hem
Don't go there, that's all! Even if it is supposed to be the budget option of Erice, it's not worth an euro.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank seventynine

Travellers are raving about these Erice hotels