“We loved it !”
Review of Ch Hotel del Golfo

Ch Hotel del Golfo
Ranked #31 of 57 Hotels in Finale Ligure
Reviewed 25 December 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a large, clean, elegant, family suite (2 rooms. 2 TVs. 1 bathroom with italian shower) with a great view on the sea and a private terrace. The hotel is elegant,with brand new furniture and wooden floor, as it only opened recently. A former colony, over a century old, the building was completely renovated, but kept all its architectural features (high ceilings and long corridors). Service was good. Breakfast also. The private parking is really a plus, especially in summer, when finding a parking spot here is almost impossible. We would certainly recommend the place to family and friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Th bath room was dirty, with an uncleared sink, and, despite a "sanitary strip" on the toilet, when I lifted the seat, there was a leftover pubic hair. That annoyed me, and I felt like I didn't want to touch anything else. But someone came, and cleaned most of he sink, and the rest. Then I removed a towel from under the sink, and it was wet. At first my imagination assumed they put a wet towel down there, but when I ran my hand over the shelf, I discovered that the sink must have been leaking for a while. I truly wanted something more of a response from the staff, front  desk and office manager, than " well give you your money back if you want to stay at a different hotel", when I asked if they could just change my room. They're a very "cold" group. They didnt even offer me as much as a caffe while I waited in the lobby.. When I replied that I would be happy to, if he could please find a comparable hotel for me. His retort was "I don't know any other good hotels here, do it yourself. You can use our computer. Anyway, YOU USED HOTEL.COM TO BOOK YOUR HOTEL." it was late, and until then I had had a good day of traveling. I decided to go to their "nice private bay". It is NONE of those things. I've been at my share of cliff side hotels, but this climb was a bit unsafe, win narrow, crumbly stairs at the bottom, followed by a 20 meter tunnel that's has a 5'10" ceiling, and a 4 inch pipe coming down from the ceiling about halfway down. (it's frankly easier for all of the non hotel guests to enter over the jetty, and there were over 20 there at 6:30 pm. The sand was dirty with buts and plastic, but when I began to wade into the water, I thought I'd be sick, looking a floating flotsam and jetsam. I had visions of Coney Island beach, and couldnt get myself to swim. The manager shrugged his shoulders, and smiled and walked away. And it's about 1,5km, to town, and,, the have no pool.  I really didn't know what to do. On the plus side, the room is large, with a very high ceiling, huge French doors opening to a huge balcony (shared, however with 6 other rooms, separated by potted plants), and a view of the water, and a town to the SE (of course, you look over a busy road).
When the waiter asked if I wanted water, I said yes, but from the tap(in Italian - del rubinetto). He had the impudence (or ignorance) to reply, but, the water in Italy is not potable. I disagreed and even said I drink it from the bathroom and the fountains. You've heard of them. He returned promptly with a pitcher of ice water. The r rolls are soft and cold.,
staffs. Hallways and rooms, large, but not decorated at all. The large rooms have completely blank walls. Beautiful views lage, but shared balcony, so I cleave French door open, to listen to the waves ( this can be saoooothing, de spite the occasional fast cars and motorcycles on the via Aurelia. Unsafe to walk to and back from town for thee 100 meets from the hotel because ther es no shoulder.
The buffet breakfast is substantial, but don't be surprised if you are asked to pay for a second caffe. This has happened two days in a road now. It's the first time I've encountered this in six months of traveling in Italy.

Definitely don't stay if:
You're not in shape enough to walk up and down about fouty steps, form the lobby to the sand, and back up.
You're afraid to walk on a busy road, without a shoulder.
You can't walk 1.5 km and balk.
You prefe a clean beach.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DontLiveVicariously
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We stayed there only for one night, during a motorcycle trip with 4 peoples.

The hotel is brand new (maybe a year old) and quite big.
Overall a very nice experience with two things to note :
- don't trust your GPS, other have mentioned this but it will send you in the middle of varigotti or finale ligure. Actually the place is just before the finale ligure port. We searched for more than one hour before finally being able to call reception and have direction. They are supposed to install a sign this week. It is a huge yellow/green/orange mansion that is very visible.

- The restaurant only offer a set menu, nothing is really within walking distance after a long day of ride.

Overall a very nice experience, it could have been outstanding without this "empty" feeling due to the decoration (looks more like an office place than an hotel to me) and lack of staff (one receptionist and only one waiter to do everything).

Still highly recommended for its quietest and the priceless open sea view from the room windows.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Very nice hotel on the side of this magnificent road with a beautiful view on the ocean. Feel the wind and the sun on the room private terrace. Private parking. Between 2 greats cities; Varigotti and Finale Borgo.

Room Tip: We had a room oceanview and left the window open all night. The wind was great to hear and feel. Ver...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We recently spent two weeks there. It was a great hotel. Everything looks new, and is in a modern style. The room that we had was spacious, super clean, with a large shower. We had our 6yr old daughter with us and they put up a foldout type bed for her which was also comfortable. The food was good. Breakfast has a variety of different foods, but is not an International type buffet. Dinner here is an experience. It is gourmet. The meals are served in traditional Italian style with an Appetizer, Main Meal, then Dessert. It is not buffet style, and the food was great. If you have "Half Board" you will be asked at Breakfast what you want to eat for Dinner from a possible list of three things for every course. The descriptions of the dishs were sometimes hard to imagine what it is that you will get, but the food was awesome every time. The hotel has a private stairwell entrance to the beach which is located across the road. The beach was very nice, and was not over run except for the weekends when the locals are off. They found creative ways to get to the beach, and there was no real way the Hotel could forbid them. However, this was also not too bad. The hotel guests always had that exclusive VIP feeling. The hotel staff was always very helpful and nice. You get the feeling that most of them are related and it has a family feeling to it. They all speak English, and some speak German as well (Italian is a given). All in all, this hotel is new and the best in the whole area that we saw.

Pro: Read above
Negative:
There is no side walk from the hotel to Finale Ligure. You will have to walk on the streets (like the Italians) , but due to the hectic nature of Italian driving is a risk.

The Stairwell to the beach needs to be redone. It looks like it was built in 1940 and simply adds a run down look to the otherwise immaculate hotel

Good to Know:

There are a few Super Markets in the Area.
1. Coop: (Best Choice) You will find this if you follow the road to Finalborgo. There is parking.
2.Dico: In Finale Ligure on the main road. There is 10 parking spots behind the building, but good luck.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank keithfulcher
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We spent a couple of relaxing nights at this hotel and were more than pleased. A spacious, clean, modern room, a large bathroom and shower stall, quiet, an incredibly beautiful view, and booked at a great off-season price. I couldn't ask for more. Slept quite well with the window open. We ate at the hotel both nights on the terrace overlooking the sea. The food was excellent and reasonably priced (9 euros for a bottle of wine). You definitely need a car to access and get around since it is fairly isolated. The hotel was not easy to find-- I entered the address incorrectly in my GPS and since the hotel has no sign I had to ask directions to locate. Perched on a hillside overlooking the beach, beach access is a bit cumbersome. A nice place to stay to visit the outlying areas (Monaco, Nice, Finale Ligure, Genoa).

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank guille857
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We chose this hotel (it is not a B&B) as it is a newly four star restored hotel of a a turn of lthe century resort villa. We had high expectations which weren't met.

The place is astounding outside, but inside is modern bordering on sad. White corridors with green doors (reminded us of Shining!) room ok, bathroom small with sliding door already collapsing and impossible to close, giving no privacy and filling the room with shower steam as there is no vent.

Clean room with a beautiful terrace unfortunately shared with all the other rooms, neither privacy nor security, something like a common space for everybody. Rather noisy at night.
An ottoman foldout bed in a corner told us it is meant for families with kids.

Breakfast okish, beautiful view.

Parking costs ten euros per night and it is out in the open on a lower level off the road leading to the hotel. Little harbor nearby, tiny beach.

The hotel is on a busy road midway between Finale Ligure and Varigotti but you need to go by car as it is a dangerous road to walk on. At 139 euros per night it makes an acceptable stop over but not a base for enjoying the beach. We didn't try the restaurant which gives you a discount if you order beforehand.
Cheap reception area, cold welcome and even colder goodbye, they gave us the impression they couldn't care less.
Won't be back.