“Outstanding service in a very charming Hotel”

California Park Hotel
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Forte Dei Marmi
Geneva, Switzerland
“Outstanding service in a very charming Hotel”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I do travel quite a bit and when travelling to Italy as a rule of thumb I take out a star to the hotel and most of the time it is even barely worth that level; well, to my great surprise, California Park was largely worth its 4 stars.
I do not value much that service but how many times have I had to carry my luggage in my room in Italy! They typically carry your luggage from your taxi or car till the front desk and once you have checked in everybody is gone. Well in California Park, by the time I had park my car, a gentleman was there waiting to carry the luggage to the front desk and to the room!
We did not try the Hotel restaurant as we were my wife and I, for the first time in 3 years without our young children and wanted to enjoy Forte's night liife but we did use the concierge service to recommend and book restaurants for us and have always been extremely happy with their recommendations.
We did try the "Spa" and of course it is not a Leading Spa Hotel and is not pretending to be but you get what you pay for, a very relaxing 60-minutes massage; we just regretted that because of the room size we could not get the treatment together my wife and I and had to go one after the other but that was a minor issue.
We booked a superior room and my guess although I have not seen the other rooms is that it is not larger than a standard room but the difference comes with the fantastic 40 square meters (I have not measured it but that sounds like it) terrace fully equipped with elegant and cosy garden furniture with immaculate white pillows. We took advantage of that terrace and order breakfast in the room; that was truely fantastic and we really felt like home. Of course the weather was nice and I suspect that the rooms might be a little small to really enjoy a breakfast inside the room. I have read many negative comments on the breakfast and if I cannot comment on the little seats available for breakfast as we did not go down to the restaurant, I found the breakfast well furnished but here again I migt have a bias as I take continental breakfast and don't like sausages, bacon or eggs at breakfast.
With respect to the distance to the center of Forte, I have to admit that the first night my wife and I walked there but came back by taxi; it is probably just a little too far to remain a nice relaxing walk and starts to become a sporty walk. The next day we rented two bikes and there were no issues anymore to do that commute even several times a day.
I had the unfortunate occasion to try and appreciate the quality of the service of California Park Hotel. To make a long story sort, after that 2-nights stay, my wife and I were heading to a friend's wedding in the center of Tuscany and I managed at 6.00pm the day before the wedding to spot my wedding shirt with my rental bike's greasy chain; the concierge took it from me and the next morning on departure day, at 9.00am together with the in-room ordered breakfast came my shirt perfectly clean and iron. I still do not know how they did it but knows that it was not straight forward at that time of the day in such a short period of time to get it done.
I saw the swimming pool and it was large, clean and under the scrutiny of a serious life guard but I am not partiularly attracted by swimming pools while at a beach place.
I already mentioned it, the rooms are not particularly large but they are cosy and a lot of attention is paid to details with high quality materials (simply check the thickness and cotton quality of the bathroom towels).

To summarize I would say that the service and quality is outstanding and if the rooms are not particularly large, they are ey cosy and, a) anyway you do not go to Forte dei Marmi to stay in your hotel room and b) take advantage of the fantastic quiet and well taken care of garden.

Room Tip: Ask for the superior rooms on the third floor.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank The_Wine_Surfer

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 August 2010

The hotel is located 3 blocs away from the beach and 500 meters away from Forte downtown. You drop the car the first day and commute by bicycle during the stay. Family run business, meaning first quality service in general, excellent italian food, enormous backyard / playground for kids. Large swimming pool if not willing to go every day to the beach.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Friendly staff, English definitely is a minority here in Fort Di Marmi, do brush up on your Italian!
Room smaller that expected, but great balcony and tidy. Relaxed pool area, easy bar service or waitress by pool. 15mins north on a bike takes you into Forte Di Marni for great selection of bars and restaurants along the beach front and in the main piazzas. Bikes are the future here. Great night fair for kids.

• Stayed July 2009
Cheshire
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We booked the California Park hotel for a four night stay by the coast before heading to Tuscany. We arrived around 2pm to be told that lunch was in fact over but the very helpful receptionist said that the restaurant would be able to rustle something up. Luigi the Maitre d then appeared-he was extremely unfriendly and incredibly rude. He told us we could have some pasta with a sneer on his face and when we dared to ask what sort of pasta he dismissed us with a wave of his hand. We sat down to have bowls of luke warm pasta put down rather heavily in front of us and then we were charged for the set three course lunch-not a good start! We were then shown to our room. When we booked I requested a room with a balcony-what they did not tell me was that the balcony was shared with the room next door-a rather loud Italian couple. In addition to the noise created by next door there were building works over the road which created a constant drilling sound.
Trying to be positive that evening we decided to give the restaurant another try-we shouldn't have bothered. The food was appalling-the starter was particularly vile- clams served in vol au vents(clearly straight out of a packet), and incredibly expensive. The main course was the toughest, driest piece of fish I think I have ever had and the salad was rather limp. The following day we just couldn't bear it any longer. Having pre paid for four nights at a rate of 360 euro a night and having only been able to bear a single night we attempted to negotiate so we could move on. The manager was not working but the delightful student receptionist was able to contact her by telephone. She refused to speak with me directly and instead kept passing messages through the poor receptionist essentially saying we could not get any of our money back. Eventually after protrated negotiations we were reluctantly refunded a single night and 50% of the lunch. If you are even thinking of visiting Hotel California do think again!

• Liked — The exit door
  • Disliked — Clams in shop bought vol au vents
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank spareroom
bournemouth,england
Reviewed 3 July 2008

This hotel has had mixed reviews but for a short stay in Pisa its fine. The rooms are small but very clean and comfortable, the staff were polite professional and VERY helpful. The breakfast buffet is fine, please stop complaining that there is no english breakfast!
The hotel is set in surprisingly attractive gardens not far from the main road but is quiet at night so you will not be woken up by juggernauts. Outside there is a very convenient and reliable bus service that takes you into PIsa itself ( interesting but not pretty ) or if you prefer the bus will also stop at the site of the leaning tower which IS worth a visit
We also took the bus to the beaches at Villareggio and Tyrrenia
Both were very good. The sea and beach is better at Tyrrenia but more shops at Villareggio. It was also 32% which helped
In our short stay we also got the incredibly cheap bus service to Lucca ( Puccini's town ) which is a walled town which we enjoyed but dont go on sunday when everything is shut practically, and we also took the train to Florence- about 1 hour from Pisa- but you need at least 1/2 day here and we only had 2 hours. Impressive town and about 20 euros for the bus tour which goes right outside the train station
One thing to do if you are booking this hotel - CHECK the pool is open. Normally it is in June, but on weekend we decided to go they shut it for repairs! Didn't spoil our visit but the management were adamant that all the travel agents had been inforned including Ryan Air hotels. By way the pool is above ground , huge and deep
Nothing wrong with this hotel - in spite of the very good public transport we would prob hire a car next time

• Liked — friendly staff and convenient bus links
  • Disliked — pool closed in June - Hello?
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
Reviewed 29 June 2008

We stayed here because of the pool, which was to be fair lovely (despite only being allowed 1 thin towel each). The neutral room with its IKEA wardrobe was quite small but clean. The bathroom too. Breakfast was OK but basic. We never experienced the restaurant because it only served food between 1pm and 2pm! Check your bill at the end as they don't request a signature. Town is a comfortable 15 minute stroll away but watch out for the mosquitos, they're everywhere.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The restaurant closing at 2pm.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Europe
Reviewed 24 May 2008

Very bad taste decoration, mostly german clients with loud children. Too far away from town center to walk. Rooms without view. When a next door guest goes to the bathroom it s so noisy you think you have been yourself. You hear about everything being done or said in the other rooms. No sound proofing at al. Depressing, especially the dining room. But than again some people seem to like what we hate, that is probably what makes human contacts so interesting.

Stayed May 2008
6 Thank TripperEurope1
arancio8, Proprietario at California Park Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2008
I am the owner of the Hotel and very disappointed to see this comment. I have invested a lot of money and energy to totally refurbish my Hotel this year and have so many clients appreciating our new design and decor both in rooms and common areas. The hotel is located in a 10.000 meters park, in a quiet area next to the beach and all rooms have balcony with view over the park or the pool, pity you did not notice this. We are not located in city center but if you like walking it is just a 15 minutes away or if you prefer you can cycle and get there in a short time. We are infact located in the most exclusive area of Forte dei Marmi called Roma Imperiale, next to the Versiliana, surrounded by beautiful villas and parks. You cannot combine quiet location with the traffic and noise of the city center, it's anyway the guest's choice. One of the aspects most appreciated of Forte dei Marmi is to cycle around the pine parks and our clients usually rent a bicycle to enjoy this area. With regards to soundproofing, yes you may hear some noise from another room, but this is due to the fact the property was constructed in the 70ies but also because the hotel is so quiet and in the silent you notice even small noises that you would not in a noisy environment. I hope to host you again as our guest, if you come back in Versilia.