“Better than expected”

Ranked #44 of 48 Hotels in Garda
Tyne & Wear
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We have just spent two weeks at the Hotel Palme and enjoyed every minute. Everything we experienced at the hotel surpassed our expectations including the service, cleanliness, pool area and food. Absolutely no complaints, we would definately consider a return visit.

Room Tip: The hotel is situated 4 minutes from the town centre however its worth noting that this is measured...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Caterina17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

Rude and unfriendly staff. Food was awful. Rooms looked like it was from the 1920s. All of the entertainment was in German so we could not understand it and felt very left out. To be honest a travel lodge would of been better. Only good things were the balcony and the pool.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank Mechem81

Travellers are raving about these Garda hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Have been to this hotel 6 times because it is very good value in an expensive resort. The rooms are clean and the bathrooms well maintained. The staff are efficient and polite. There are two pools both of which are well maintained and large so you can swim rather than just dip. It is a bit tired in places but given the prices charged it is incredibly good value. Breakfast is a vast choice and although it can be a bit of a scrum at the self service tables it is not impossible. Dinner has to be chosen the night before and is a limited choice but generally edible and the self service salad buffet is excellent. Will go back again (well unless I win the lottery!).

Room Tip: At the front of the hotel overlooking the pool and drive.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bonnie049_10
Derbyshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I booked the Palme hotel for my friends wedding. I have never been to Italy before so this was my first experience of the country and wasn't a pleasant one.

When I got to the hotel (after a very early start to the day) I was told my room would not be ready for at least another hour. Not brilliant as I wanted to be able to chill out! After finally getting my room, I have to say first impressions were not good. The rooms are very out dated and still hadn't been cleaned properly. The room also smelled really bad of smoke, which I was not impressed with as it was a non-smoking room. After getting to my room, it became apparent that the reception staff had not given me a key to work the electricity in the room so off I went back to the reception for this. I then went back down a few minutes later as my 'free' safe was locked and I couldn't use this. After several visits back to reception about this, I lost the will to live after always being told someone would be up later! The hotel reception staff should definitely be sent on courses in PR and customer services, it was like talking to a brick wall at times.

The entertainment was interesting, especially the female singer. Although I recognised the songs, I couldn't tell you what it was she was singing. It reminded me of the pub singer section of Shooting Stars. There were many different nationalities staying at this hotel which was interesting, although I have to say I don't usually like staying in a hotel where individuals from the UK is a minority.

On a plus side (and why I scored it a 2 and not 1) the breakfast was ok and the bar staff made a lovely bellini!

I don't usually come on these websites and leave comments but I have to say that this place (and more the service that you got from the reception staff) left me with a bad taste in my mouth and would therefore urge people to think twice before booking this place. I certainly will never go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ludo81
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Room large but tired furniture bed comfy it's base supported by flat wooden boards. Bath room bad cracks in sink and bidet but very large double doored shower appreciated regular towel changes daiy and plenty of loo rolls. Domestic staff very friendly and room cleaned daily. Balcony very sorry for itself with very battered metal table and plastic chairs. Food adequate but very samey not much variety and don't expect the toaster to add any color as long as you like your eggs fried you will be ok drinks with meals cost extra. Poolside very rough and desperately needs attention daughter cut sole of foot coming out of water. Not enough sunbeds but ok quality. All staff very helpful and hard working except reception who need to be more approachable and lean to smile. Be aware when you arrive at the hotel you will need to py a local tax. Not somewhere I would go back to. Bin lorry comes most mornings before 6 and will wake you up so be prepared for iterupted sleep

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank herries2116
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Could not fault the cleaning in our room on the 3rd floor, even behind dressing table I had to rescue my belt from behind, bathroom always clean and fresh, plenty of towels. Food was fine, huge packed lunches! some repetitveness but what do you expect for 52 euros/pp half board in july!? Staff attentive and friendly. Yep on the bed bugs, but matter WAS dealt with, it happens in the best hotels-I've worked in a few!! Best advice try a little italian, a little tipping and a big smile-you'll never be short of a bowl of peanuts at the bar-I'd return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Quieter at the back, great for watching coming and going and view of la rocca (which is well worth t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Helen D
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We were a bit concerned about booking this hotel given its mixed reviews. However, we did have a good stay here this July for a week. The location is fantastic with only a five minute walk to the lakeside. That said, this is a no frills hotel that really feels like it caters for Germans only. When we arrived on the Sunday, the staff spoke in German and we answered explaining we were English. "Ah English!" she said and then continued to speak in German! Thankfully I knew enough German to get through the checking-in process. Also the food caters mainly for Germans (which was fine and plentiful) and so is the evening entertainment with German songs in full swing until 11pm. I got the feeling that the majority of guests were frequent returnees with one holiday company and whilst they are satisfied with the service, nothing will alter and that includes the tired decorations. The breakfast process is chaotic but somehow works but it would have been nice to have the process explained prior to our first experience. We walked in and watched others grab cereal before handing to a table. We followed suit but noticed most were reserved by this German tour company and finding a free table wasn't that easy. It was quite annoying to see so many reserved because even on the most busy morning, only half these tables had anyone on them during our sitting. Another experience I didn't like was the on the first morning when we had just sat down with our cereal and fruit juice - The head waiter kept eyeing at us and then came over and asked for our names with a tone of suspicion. I got the feeling he thought we were backpackers whom had gatecrashed for a free breakfast! Not really a good impression which could have been avoided if someone was there to welcome the guests. Apart from that, the stay was fine although we didn't get the room we had requested for the first night but were moved the following day when a spare room became available with no problems.
I would consider this hotel again but if the weather had been poor and we had to stay more at the hotel, I would have have kicked myself for not choosing somewhere with better amenities.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends