“Not what we were expecting”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Royal

Ranked #43 of 48 Hotels in Garda
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not what we were expecting”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed at the hotel Royal. Granted we got a late deal and allocation on arrival, but when we arrived we got such a shock at the state of this hotel, they say it's 3* no way 1* at the most, the staff very friendly but we were supposed to have either adjoining rooms or adjacent rooms as we were traveling with three children, leading up to the rooms the corridors are in need of major refurbishment curtains hanging of rail, holes in walls lift very dated. When finally got to the rooms They were appalling the cot for my daughter had a big brown mark running down the side the bed settee had stains all over it, there were disgusting sticky marks on the walls, there was dust in the air conditioning vents, the list could go on, when we complained the rep came and looked at room and there response was, I expected alot worse then what you have shown me, I knew then that nothing would be done. As the rooms were too far away from each other we all ended up staying in one room so it was rather cramped to say the least 5 of us in total. The rep said that she would get the room thoroughly cleaned and the sofa steam cleaned this never happened. The food well we never ate there we tried breakfast the following morning, I went to get some rice crispies for my son, there was a dead fly in the bowl amongst them we walked straight back out and never returned for food. The staff are very friendly and helpful could not complain about that part. Pool nice but no child's pool. We were told we could use the sister hotels child pool but it was too much to have to transport everything over. The bar closed quite early at night, no entertainment a very very basic hotel. One that we will definitely NOT be returning too

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 2414

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

GOOD POINTS- Hotel staff are polite and friendly.Breakfast is continental and ok.
BAD POINTS- Hotel is dated and in need of upgrading. Room is small and furniture is chipped and dirty. Our room had only one power socket working and the bathroom air vent didnt work. We reported this on our first day but it was never attended to. Breakfast closed at 9.30 prompt. The air conditioning was switched off at 10.00 until 4.00 pm (not good if you want to have a rest in the afternoon) NOT WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY. The pool as 1.7 metres deep all round not good for children and no attendant on duty. Room could benefit with a fridge. Would not recommend this hotel. there are better hotels in the area with better facilities. This hotel is geared up mainly for dutch and german patrons.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and dated. Dont go for ground floor
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank review11075

Travellers are raving about these Garda hotels

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I often travel for bussiness and I was lately to Hotel Royal in Garda described as a 3 star hotel is worth of a 1 star hotel or lower category if possible.
I've found a very unfrendly atmosphere at the check in. The girl at the reception didn't even takaea glance to anyone of us and was very bitter with everybody. The second surprise was in the room... Very old furniture (of the 70s or 80s and in 2011 I've discovered the first hotel in my life without frigobar. I thought this was a joke, but when coming back after work (sometimes late in the night) there was no possibility of drinking any glas of water or juice as even the bar was closed. The room are then very noisy. I heard all the night long peolple snoring and coughing and it was terrible. The wall are of paper and the next door wardrobe has its back inside my room. Terrible.
Then Breakfast.... As we partecipated to an event in Verona we were obliged to leave the hotel at 7.30 and with great disappointment we discovered the breakfast would start at 7.30!!!!!!!! So never had breakfast for that of course we have been forced to pay!!!!!!!One girl in the restaurat was very intollerant with us and very bad mannered. But the very bad happening was on the third day when we've discovered that two of our rooms booked and already payed were cancelled and sold once again by the receptionist. Arriving at the hotel the girl was very unfriendly and rude. I think that she has no professionality and everything she did for us seemed a favour done without courtesy. My chef wanted to speak with the director but she said with acidity and discourtesy that if he would not have shut up, she wouldn't have found a solution to her mistake. This is really disgusting. I hope this girl would go working somewehere else and not in a hotel in contact with people. Breakfast is included yes but all the food is of very bad quality. The bread was disgusting and the salami had a bad parfume. Be careful to ask for espresso.... It costs you 2 more euros...when the guy brought me the bill I started laughing.
The only positive thing was the night auditor very helpful and well mannered man and the woman cleaning the rooms, a. FOR THE REST I WOULD LIKE TO KINDLY ASK YOU TO NEVER BOOK THIS HOTEL....It is a very sad place and not worth the money. Chose another hotel nearby if you go to Garda BUT NOT HOTEL ROYAL....NEVER

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank luigifoschini
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Beware. There are three related hotels: Royal, Palme and Suites. We cannot comment on the Royal. Palme and Suites share facilities and reception and neither are 3 star standard. Two star possibly. Our toilet did not flush and the extractor was pathetic. One of the twin beds smelled of urine and it took intervention by the Tour operator rep to get room changed next day! No apology from management. It's rather tired and needs refurbishment. Service patchy. Good waiters and maid excellent in new room. Reception very poor.
We booked thru LastMinute whom we've used very successfully before with allocation on arrival. Also Inghams, Tour Operator, who have previously been accurate in hotel ratings.
Lake Garda and Garda itself is a wonderful destination. Despite the hotel we had a great trip.
In over 40 years of international travel this is the first time I've requested a room changed!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank w_finlay
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2010

This was my first trip to Italy- beautiful country, but won't return to this hotel! As many other 'reviewers', we booked this family holiday as a last minute deal for the half-term hols. It was a "guaranteed 3* allocated on arrival" offer. We thought in Garda, 3* would mean 3*. This is a 2* at a push! The complex consists of three sister hotels- the Suites, Palme and Royal.
Upon arrival, we were greeted with a friendly member of the reception team, who half-escorted us to our room. When we got there, the room was not what we requested- a double room. We were given a twin room that was like an oven when we walked into it. We rang reception straight away and asked if we could swap rooms in the morning. This wasn't a problem... It was late, and with a sleepy 7 year old, we were ok with putting up with single beds for one night.
We swapped rooms the next day with no issue. But questioning why the air conditionig wouldn't work, we were told that it only comes on after 30th June!! Despite it being a scorcher in early June.
The location was reasonable, with a 10 minute straight walk to the lake side. The pool was clean and the facilities were below average. The hotel is popular with elderly Germans, so the Brits are kind of their own- think we knew of one other British couple staying here when we were!
The restaurant was a blast! Spacious and very friendly and extremely hard working staff- Enzo was our favourite! Breakfast was very sparse with little choice- cereal, fruit, stale bread and cold meat. A squeaking toast machine that was in desperate need of oiling was very off-putting during breakfast! They need to cater for British guests too- we're on holiday, sometimes we want a English fry-up!! The evening meal was much more varied. The system is that you dine at the same table each time, and order your first plate and main course for the following night. Salad, bread and soup was available before hand as self-service, but the subsequent dishes are then served at your table by extremely attentive staff. Very novel, we loved it. Even some 4* and 5* only have buffet style restaurants, so we were pleasantly surprised.
We had a couple of problems with the bathroom light, but an electrician was sent to our room. My only other gripe are the towels in the bathroom. PLEASE TAKE YOUR OWN!! Italian towels are more like kitchen roll. We were provided with ample, but as a woman with long hair, it was like getting dried with a really thin tea towel. I never looked forward to showering!
After checking out early, the staff allowed us to use their courtesy room to get cleaned before our coach pick-up at the airport. A loan of (those) towels were helpful? too.
A very basic hotel that needs complete renovation. Cheap and cheerful, certainly not 3*.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank PrincessM6
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Booked an allocation on arrival holiday at a very reasonable price, ended up at the Hotel Royal in Garda.

First impressions were good until we arrived at our room. Although it was very clean, the decor was in desperate need fto be updated, but saying that, tolerable. What wasn't tolerable was when the neighbours arrived back to their room. You could hear everything they said, did, whispered, coughed, snored ..... need I go on? The noise was unbearable. Good job I sleep with ear plugs (although I could still hear next door).
Then came time to dine! Evening meal. Arrived in the very clean well presented restaurant (albeit basic) to find that we had been seated with another couple. I was very unhappy to be forced to sit with people I didn't know and be told that this was hotel policy at busy times (there were a significant number of empy tables so we could have been seated separately). The food wasn't brilliant but wasn't terrible either. Buffet style salad, followed by a choice of starter, soup/pasta (pasta very good), main meal consisted of choice of fish/meat/veggie (I didn't like any of the main meals I ate), dessert basic but edible. Breakfast awful !!!

If I had paid full price for the holiday or the price that some of the other residents had paid (and not the discounted price I did pay) I would have complained.

Overall, hotel is very clean, very basic but in a decent location.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nanak75
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2010

The reviews on this site are mostly correct.
It is neglected, old fashioned and the air con/boiler is noisy but on the plus side the staff are nice, the pool clean, the food good and it's not too far out of town (10min walk uphill)
a
All in we found the hotel and holiday good value as we only paid £270 for a week half board and we wouldn't hesitate in returning as we had a fantastic time but please Do Not expect 4* luxury as you may be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank camber29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garda
Hotel Palme & Suite
#8 of 48 in Garda
Hotel La Perla
Hotel La Perla
#6 of 48 in Garda

Been to Hotel Royal? Share your experiences!