For our first Italian Lake experience we booked the Grand Hotel through Prestige Holidays Uk, who organised flights, superbly efficeint private car between Verona Airport and the Hotel itself. We used the boats , accessing them immediately by the Hotel entrance to explore the lake and its other locations- although Limone, Malcesine, Bardolino, Sirmione,Riva, Garda, Salo have their own attractions and interests what separates Gardone Riviera from these other resorts is the peacefulness, elegance and lack of crowds that are more noticeable elsewhere. As for the Hotel an absolutely perfect location, wonderfully attentive and informative staff in reception and breakfast room. A fabulous breakfast choice ( absolutely must eat scambled egg!) Winnies cocktail bar lounge prices are "on the high side" but the wonderful piano and singing entertainment in the evenings compensates and is highly recommended and presented in just the right tone and, of course, mine host of the bar is worth the visit just to see him in action.
The rooms balcony was fine , two chairs and table and wonderful views of the Lakeand of the boats arriving and departing. The room and bathroom spacious= super hot showers- the maid service excellent and a truly safe room safe ! (For tbose who cannot survive without English speaking TV there is Sky News, CNN and BBC World News.)
The Hotels "garden and promenade" offer sunny and secluded seating areas and the dual choice of lake swimming or pool swimming is a real plus. Plenty of loungers, towels and lack of poolside noise made the sunbathing areas relaxing and must go to places.
Only two slight criticisms- a pot of tea for two via room service costs 16 euros! (no tea/coffee making facilities in the bedrooms for health and safety reasons) and for use of the sauna/steam room a 30 minute advance booking is required and a 14 euros charge is made...
Immediately adjacent to the Hotel entrance is the further walk to a half a dozen or so restaurant and bars with lakeside views ( and a variety of food choices and prices)
On the road side of the Hotel a bus stop takes you to Salo (in 10 minutes) and further south Brescia and Desenzano for rail connections to Verona and Venice and to be recommended either by the little road train from the Hotel or by an uphill walk from that bus stop go to Il,Vittioriale (and check out the three restaurants nearby) and the botanical garden.
The majority of guests were aged 40 plus, not a location for teenagers--and many were time and again returners and it was perfectly obvious why. Go and see for yourself
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1884 as the first hotel on Lake Garda, the Grand Hotel Gardone testifies the elegance and style of an era. The view of the lake is majestic and very picturesque, and becomes even more impressive with the ever changing light, sun and shades during the day and night. The hotel has 167 bedrooms and Jr. Suites with balcony, offering every comfort with a splendid view of the lake. Refined cuisine with local specialities can be enjoyed at a candlelight à la carte dinner on the terrace restaurant “Il Giardino dei Limoni” by the pool. The menu of the day is served at the lakeside restaurant with veranda, while at the pool snack bar you can have a quick informal lunch. The Winnie's Piano Bar offers the opportunity for a drink and dance after dinner. There is a private beach, a solarium terrace along the lake, heated swimming pool, whirlpool, sauna, steam bath, massage and beauty parlour, jetty for motorboats, internet points and Wi-fi in the whole building. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Hotel Gardone reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Gardone Riviera
- Gardone Riviera Grand Hotel
- Grand Hotel Gardone Lake Garda/Gardone Riviera, Italy