I can only give this hotel three basically due to the food. The hotel itself is lovely very clean, the housekeeping is probably the best we have ever had in a hotel absolutely spotless.
My main complaints about the food is as follows: -
Breakfast - only three choices of cereal and these are very cheap and taste just like catering cereals. No hot plates for the hotter food of eggs and bacon. No choice only omlettes or fried eggs and one morning the omlette was raw in the middle. No fresh bread laid out just packaged from a supermarket. Toaster either burns bread or its underdone. Orange juice was watered done Tesco value tasted better!! Yogurts were warm and lids were left up on scrambled eggs and bacon leaving them cold. Coffee tasted awful. Also for a four star hotel no nice touches like sparkling wine left out. Packaged jam just like what you would have at the Services no glass jars etc, again just like catering jams.
Evening meal - if you are a vegetarian then there is no choice for you. The salad bar is better in Pizza Hut!! no pasta salads or rice, no tuna or prawns, we didnt even see a cucumber in sight, the only things on there were lettuce, carrot, beetroot and tomatoes. Starters were only limited choice and so was the main course. One of the things that made us laugh was a pasta dish with basil pesto and tomato which actually had prawns in we later discovered. The deserts are definately no home made and the fruit looked as though it had been hanging around for a few days. There was also a shortage of bread rolls, dry balls put on the table together with packaged bread sticks, and not a side plate and knife in sight. We passed some gorgeous bread shops why are they not buying in this bread.
We spoke to some people who were at the hotel this time last year and they said the choice and quality of food had really gone down.
Also I would like to add for people that although Gardone is lovely there are a lot better places around the lake than there.
Would I return to this hotel - definately not the food is awful some of the worst I have ever had abroad I expected a lot better!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1884 as the first hotel on Lake Garda, the Grand Hotel Gardone testifies the elegance and style of an era. The view of the lake is majestic and very picturesque, and becomes even more impressive with the ever changing light, sun and shades during the day and night. The hotel has 167 bedrooms and Jr. Suites with balcony, offering every comfort with a splendid view of the lake. Refined cuisine with local specialities can be enjoyed at a candlelight à la carte dinner on the terrace restaurant “Il Giardino dei Limoni” by the pool. The menu of the day is served at the lakeside restaurant with veranda, while at the pool snack bar you can have a quick informal lunch. The Winnie's Piano Bar offers the opportunity for a drink and dance after dinner. There is a private beach, a solarium terrace along the lake, heated swimming pool, whirlpool, sauna, steam bath, massage and beauty parlour, jetty for motorboats, internet points and Wi-fi in the whole building. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Hotel Gardone reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Gardone Riviera
- Gardone Riviera Grand Hotel
- Grand Hotel Gardone Lake Garda/Gardone Riviera, Italy