Perhapa I've been lucky to stay in some wonderful hotels all around the world but this sadly was not one of them.
Yes, the old charm was there, bit like the Hotel National in Cuba, but the bedroom, we had a lake view, was so tired and out dated, balcony only just had space for 2 tiny chairs - no table.
Outdoor dining only allowed when we'd been there 4 days, luckily we'd booked for 11. So had to eat inside, food choice was ok, no sides of vegetables etc, nothing special. Breakfast bit of disappointment too, fruit salad had tinned fruit cocktail in it,bowls of tinned pears or peaches on offer, no pancakes, waffles, cereals- cocoa pops! Bread was nice and fresh.
Location was quiet but children everywhere! Either jumping/ screaming into the lake by sun lounges or yelling in the pool. Most seem to be with German families. Several times children took over the jacuzzi treating it like a child's pool. Main pool quite small.
Drinks in hotel were very expensive, on par with Maldives prices!! The local bars and restaurants were good but as we were half board we didnt try them as much as we'd have liked.
B&B would be the best option.
Sadly this hotel is living on its past reputation, as yes clients seem to return, but there are some much much better places for the cost. Was a big disappointment.
If you want to visit Verona, catch a bus outside hotel to Desensaro (9.15am) takes 40 mins, stops outside railway station then get train.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1884 as the first hotel on Lake Garda, the Grand Hotel Gardone testifies the elegance and style of an era. The view of the lake is majestic and very picturesque, and becomes even more impressive with the ever changing light, sun and shades during the day and night. The hotel has 167 bedrooms and Jr. Suites with balcony, offering every comfort with a splendid view of the lake. Refined cuisine with local specialities can be enjoyed at a candlelight à la carte dinner on the terrace restaurant “Il Giardino dei Limoni” by the pool. The menu of the day is served at the lakeside restaurant with veranda, while at the pool snack bar you can have a quick informal lunch. The Winnie's Piano Bar offers the opportunity for a drink and dance after dinner. There is a private beach, a solarium terrace along the lake, heated swimming pool, whirlpool, sauna, steam bath, massage and beauty parlour, jetty for motorboats, internet points and Wi-fi in the whole building. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Hotel Gardone reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Gardone Riviera
- Gardone Riviera Grand Hotel
- Grand Hotel Gardone Lake Garda/Gardone Riviera, Italy