“Super Mario :-)”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Super Mario :-)”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We have been in Italy for a little over a week, this has to be the best restaurant yet for value atmosphere and exemplary hosting.

We arrived to be greeted by Mario (excellent character) who indulged us with an aperitif as we sat down, swiftly followed by two rounds of bruschetta (all complimentary).

We ordered pizza's for myself and my two daughters and my wife had a lasagne (she said it was the best she had ever had) the pizza's were fantastic lovely crust and toppings. We also had a carafe of sparkling wine and beers and pop for the Girls. The waitress brought some nice bread to the table with our meal as well as a bowl of fresh parmesan which was welcome.

When I went up to pay Mario gave us another complimentary Limoncello, and not wanting to leave out my youngest a box of smarties then not wanting to leave out my wife and my other daughter they also got smarties :-)....nice touches!

All in all a fantastic evening and one I would recommend without hesitation.

• Visited August 2013

• Polish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“The best meal and occasion of our holiday so far”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We had an enjoyable meal here 4 years ago so expected the same on this occasion and were not disappointed. The man who fronts the restaurant is indeed an unforgettable character, I presume he is the owner and I am guessing he is called Mario from the writing on the sign. So near to the 'Republic of Salo' I couldn't help thinking of a mini Mussolini! He welcomed us with free Aperol Spritz and although the outside seating was full he quickly brought out extra tables so we had a good view onto the Il Vittoriale opposite, stunning church and delightful Piazza dei Caduti. Three of us opted for bruschetta to start, a snip at €3 for the most basic of many options and the waitress kindly told us that 3 would be too many, 4 could share 2, and she was right the size being huge compared to what we were expecting, it was also lovely to taste. My wife and I both had Sea Bass in Thyme with red onions and medallions of potatoes and we both thought it absolutely wonderfull. The kids both had Pizzas which met their exacting standards. There was a good range of deserts from which we all chose something different and all equally loved. I fancied a Limoncello to finish off which was immediately brought out to me and the wife and one of the kids ordered coffees. When the coffees arrived I was given another Limocello! Not wishing to offend I forced it down! When the bill arrived there was no charge for the Limoncello or coffees, Mario who's English is little better than my Italian seemed to be apologising for something wrong with the service. Whatever it was we hadn't noticed and as with all his customers Mario loudly thanked every one of us individually for coming to his restaurant. Fantastic evening, another one to fit in for a return visit before the end of the holiday. We've had some wonderful meals in this area on this holiday but this is the best so far.

Visited August 2013
York
“Happiness on a plate”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Was recommended by our hotel. Greeted by Mario, always smiling, and chose the Menu of the day. great value. Food and service very good.

Visited June 2013
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Pleasant but did not like the owner standing by our table touting for business”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This was the one restaurant in Gardone Sopra to which we would not return. Pleasant enough, extremely fast service and smiley staff but; the owner spent the whole of the time that we were eating,standing very close to our table, touting for business from the many Italians and tourists who were trying to decide where to eat that evening. Hardly conducive to a pleasant evening meal, hence the 3 star rating.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank MontagueSomerset
Alexandria, Virginia
“Mario's:Charm And More”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I have been coming with my wife to Gardone for many years.We normally spend a week there in the summer,and we have a long lunch at Mario's every day.Mario,Dario,and Julie greet us warmly and provide wonderful service.All of the food,including the artisanal pizzas and pastas are carefully prepared.The fish is very fresh and cooked perfectly.In fact,my wife-apicky eater-had the salmon trout with spinach and artichokes 3 times during the week.The wine list is extensive and reasonably priced,and the location in Sopra Gardone is delightful.

• Visited August 2012