“Excellent!!”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Gardone Riviera
Tampa, Florida
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I travel a lot, for business and often after for some fun. My trip to Lake Garda was fantastic, and this hotel was a huge part of that. The hotel is very nice, it is clean, has the most beautiful view, and friendly employees. The view, if I didn't mention it yet, was the best. Also, the hotel is located in a small area that has lots of small shops, which were perfect for us. In the morning, we found a little cafe where we had breakfast overlooking the water while enjoying the food. In the evenings, we found waterfront Bars (resturants) which served a variety of food. The area is perfect, and the hotel is perfectly located if you want to just park your car, and enjoy your stay without driving again. You can literally walk the area and find routes to explore (my wife and I hiked up a mountain path they recommended, and found an awesome view and waterfalls), or just find food and relaxation. I would highly recommend this hotel, because it's clean, well priced, and has a friendly staff. The rooms are nice and the beds comfortable. Whatever you do, I would recommend paying the extra for the rooms facing the water. It's not much more, but worth every penny.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony facing the water!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BobRocket
carpe69, Proprietario at Hotel Savoy Palace, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your nice words. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay at the Savoy Palace and that you appreciate this area of lake Garda so much.

It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you again in our hotel and I wish you all the best.

Truly yours,

Silvia Dalla Bona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I visited in May , and found the rooms large spacius and very clean.
The Maitre of the Hotel was extremely helpful and professional , and all the staff were pleasant and polite.
The Barman makes fantastic drinks!!!
Beautiful views across the Lake Garda.
I would definately return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank LucaTidu
carpe69, Proprietario at Hotel Savoy Palace, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your nice comment. I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your holiday in our hotel and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you again in this beautiful spot of lake Garda.

Truly yours,

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The hotel accommodation had been arranged by the tour company Great Rail Journeys (which I would also thoroughly recommend.) Our room (418) had a beautiful view across the Lake with a good size balcony. The bedroom and bathroom were well equipped and well maintained. Reception and lounge areas were nicely furnished, staff always helpful, and although I did not use them, understand that the fitness and sauna areas were of a good standard too. Some of the group were not impressed with the evening meal - usually self service salad, soup or pasta, choice of 2 usually meat dishes, and a dessert, though personally I felt it an adequate meal when serving 42 people simultaneously. I had asked for vegetarian meals and these were always supplied. The Gardione Riviera area was lovely and has a botanical garden, interesting house and gardens nearby (d'Annunzio's home) plus regular ferry service to other towns around the lake. I felt it was the perfect spot to relax in.

Room Tip: I think all rooms face the lake. Some have larger balconies, e.g. 417 and 418. Rooms on the lower...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 2010italy
carpe69, Proprietario at Hotel Savoy Palace, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for the review you left on tripadvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and I very much appreciate your nice and supportive words.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again in the Savoy Palace.

Yours sincerely,

sheffield
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We stayed here 20th April for 4 nights. It's low season here in Garda so I didn't expect all the hotel facilities to be open but they were. Nice leisure facilities, dining room and bar to spend down time.
The pool area was open but it wasn't really bathing weather so we spent our time seeing the local area. The hotel is spotless. Breakfast was what I expected juices, cakes, cereal, eggs, bacon etc plenty of choice we thought.
We had room 205. Lake view but without balcony. It was spacious with mini bar, power shower/bath and uk tv channels including bbc1. Gardone rivera is lovely and the hotel is right on the promenade. The hotel has a great feel to it and the hotel manager was friendly and fun - chasing ducks out of the pool was amusing to watch from our window! We would definitely return here.

Room Tip: Worth having lake view
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LisaA6545
carpe69, Proprietario at Hotel Savoy Palace, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your nice comments about the Savoy Palace. I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday on lake Garda and especially in our hotel.

Your compliments were very much appreciated and it would be a pleasure to welcome you again at the Savoy Palace.

Very truly yours,

Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed at the Savoy Palace in August 2012 and thought mostly everything about the place was good; nice room, food was good and well presented, staff were friendly and efficient. One evening we dined beside a family group who appeared to be the owners and the place had the feel of being family run, somebody was paying attention to detail.
On the downside, Gardone is a bit small and I think a four or five night stay would be pretty much the max. Also,on one occasion when the lifts were briefly out of action I took the fire escape stairs to the pool. I had fight my way past function chairs and old television sets that were being stored there, and it was a squeeze getting past the fridge that had been left outside the ground floor door. If the place does catch fire your survival chances are probably better served by jumping off the room balcony.

Room Tip: There is a good bus service around the lake that is faster and much cheaper than the ferry.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charleybanana
carpe69, Proprietario at Hotel Savoy Palace, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for the comment you left on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay in Gardone and at the Savoy Palace. As you have already noted, the hotel is family run and we always try to keep an eye on all details.
Regarding the fire exit, we would like to inform you that you more than likely had used the stairs that are utilized by our personnel to have floor and room access and where there are actually some televisions and table stored. The official fire exit of the hotel is a well indicated door near the elevator and we assure you that these stairways are completely free and during any type of emergency the safety of the guests is guaranteed.

Kind regards,

Stratford-upon-Avon
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This hotel is simply appalling and so is Classic Collection Holidays, the company we booked it through.
Overall, we found the Savoy Palace just dreadful and we do not understand why it gets a place in the Classic Collection brochure. It is simply NOT a four-star hotel. It's two or three-star hotel at absolute best.
Our holiday to Lake Garda was taken to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. With this in mind, we chose the Savoy Palace on the basis that it was promoted as high quality and located centrally.
We further decided that we would upgrade to a Deluxe room on the basis this was a special occasion (the Savoy Palace's room grades are: Classic, Superior, Deluxe and Prestige).
On arrival at the reception desk, we were delighted to be told we had been further upgraded to Prestige. We were absolutely thrilled.
When we were shown our room, my wife and I were dumbfounded. It was hard to believe we had been shown to the correct room. This was a tiny, dark room with hardly any lake view at all.
When we took stock of the situation, our frustration grew to anger when we realised we had been 'conned' in this way. Not only was this room not Prestige, it was not even Superior. It was a bog-standard, pokey hotel room which wasn't even up to the standard of the basic room at the airport hotel we stayed in the night before our departure.
We went down to reception to ask if there had been a mistake and we were told that, yes, the room was a Prestige room because it had a terrace and a lake view.
The truth is there was a terrace (with two old, stained and fraying loungers) and a view, not of the lake, but of the back of a rust-stained block of apartments and a lot of wires and aerials. Yes, if you stood on one part of the terrace, on tip-toe, you could just see the lake!
We measured our room and it was, in essence, the size of a double bed with eighteen inches of space all around it. It wasn't even possible to open the wardrobe (which was a single wardrobe, by the way) without moving a small coffee table first. When we opened the wardrobe, we found some of the drawers were stuck and didn't work.
We noticed too, that the carpets were extremely faded. By any standards this was a low-grade hotel room. The idea if it being Deluxe or Prestige was simply laughable.
Late one night we were awoken by a group of drunks who gained access to our room, not because we hadn't locked the door properly but because the lock didn't function correctly!
I would have to go back to my penniless youth to recall a hotel as bad as the Savoy Palace. Apart from the room issue, the service generally was dreadful, not least because of understaffing and, I suspect, a severe lack of training.
One evening, having asked a young, untrained and under-pressure waiter for a cold beer, he poured a warm beer into my wine glass! Some of the staff at this hotel had real 'attitude'.
In addition, generally, the food and the whole dining experience were extremely disappointing.
Indeed, the restaurant was in the basement, right next to the swimming pool, which my wife and I found distinctly strange. For much of the time in the restaurant, spare tables and chairs were unattractively stacked together at one end.
Breakfasts were, at best, very basic, with no variety and very poor service. My coffee was served tasteless and cold every single day, even when I sent it back to be reheated.
You won't be surprised to know that we won't ever go back to this awful hotel, and nor will we ever use Classic Collection Holidays again - who, by the way, couldn’t have cared less when we made a formal complaint to them.
Classic Collection’s marketing is extremely dishonest, with carefully staged photos in its literature giving a false impression of the Savoy Palace Hotel’s actual standards.
This hotel needs complete refurbishment. It needs not just new paintwork, but new stonework, new ironwork, new carpets, new curtains, new furniture, and indeed a complete new layout. The whole hotel is tired, dated and extremely drab.
We certainly will never visit this hotel again. It was a dreadful, appalling, and thoroughly upsetting holiday.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 19Steve49
carpe69, Proprietario at Hotel Savoy Palace, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to express my complete disapproval about the review you left on tripadvisor, dated 30th March 2013. I also cannot understand why you wrote this review after two years of your stay, because our records show that you and your wife stayed at the Savoy Palace for 10 days in July 2011, not in July 2012 as you stated in your comment.
We know from Tripadvisor that comments cannot be post after more than one year of your stay, but this is what happend in your case: your comment was written more than 1 and a half year after your stay and does not refer in any way to the current situation.

It is very difficult now to make amends for something that had happended so long ago, but if you had brought your list of complaints to the attention of the hotel manager of directly to me at the time you were here, we would have completely examined your issues and certainly would have taken corrective steps immediately. Instead, we were informed of your discontentment by the agency Classic Collection through your letter we received from them almost 2 years ago. We answered as requested to all listed points and sent it back to the tour operator who confirmed that he did not hear anything further from you.

At that time if you had remained unhappy with the outcome you could have contacted Classic Collection to request a further review.

As hotel owner I am always available to meet with any of our guests, in order to assist them in any way I can. Further on, all of our reception and management staff are on call to provide support to our guests if necessary.
Our guests are very welcome in our hotel and we always do our best to ensure that their stay with us is as much a pleasure for them as it is for us.

The Hotel Savoy Palace is a 4 star hotel and I can assure you that the services and hospitality of the hotel are on a high quality 4 star level.

Best regards,

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed here for three nights at the beginning of September. It's quite obvious from the first moment that this hotel is frequented by retired Brits, reminiscing the Britishness of an Era gone by.
A very grand and imposing building. We stayed in room 306 which had an enormous terrace, with two sun beds, parasol, and table and chairs. An absolutely smashing room, huge and tastefully furnished in Italian Villa style. We also had tea and coffee making facilities (a blessing).
A not so welcoming check-in as we waited while the receptionist chatted to someone else. We waited in the lobby while our room was prepared, but no service was available to order drinks etc. I had to go to the Reception to enquire about service at the Lobby Bar. Eventually we were served coffee.

We had dinner in the Restaurant, which was quite empty, but for a few tables with mostly elderly British guests. At first we thought we were in the wrong place. Dinner was conveyor belt food! Although my choice was not available, I was offered an alternative, but it later dawned, that the 'sides' were not included in the alternative meat dish. I discussed with the waiter that such information should be shared with the customer and not just randomly added to one's bill. Food, was 'thrown' on a plate, unloved and I do have a more civilised vision of a veal steak and not that of one which is splashed on top of gluey mashed potatoes. The side dish of zucchini, was overcooked and tasteless. Naturally, I pointed these out to the Maitre 'D, who was arrogant and persistent in his manner. I complaint to the General Manager with whom I had a meeting in respect of the quality of the food and service.

The General Manager was very apologetic and understood my reasoning. He invited us to Lunch or dinner in the same Restaurant, with the promise of exceptional food! Unfortunately we did not have the time as were exploring Lake Garde. However, we did have coffee together on the day of our departure. Paying my bill I noticed that despite my complaint of having to pay for the side orders, these were very much itemised. Although only a lousy €2.00, it's the principle that counts: Inform the client if the alternative costs extra.

Breakfast: mediocre and again, food is placed in a rather uninviting manner. Bread rolls were stale. Bacon and eggs are not refilled. And if you ask for more, you're insulting the waiting staff. Although early September, all the doors leading to the Patio were closed, no tables are set where one could enjoy the beautiful view over the Lake.

Having complaint about the food and service the night before, the waiting staff at breakfast did not even acknowledge our appearance at breakfast. We waited quite some time for one of them to react on our needs and that with a terribly grumpy face. How in heaven's name is this "hospitality"?

My meeting with the General Manager was very positive and he promised us exceptional service and food should I stay again next year. How can I refuse?

The Spa area was very clean and pleasant. Just annoyed by British guests who did not shower before or after the Sauna. I even reminded them that swimsuits are not allowed in the Sauna and also to please shower before and after. No avail! and so unhygienic. There's Spa Etiquette which one has to follow on the continent. to shower before and after the Sauna, is common practice everywhere.

We were further annoyed at a wedding party taking place in the Lobby. It was impossible to have a quite drink while Karaoke is intrusively imposed on one! Wedding celebrations should be held separately and not in the Lobby.

The Hotel has only 6 parking bays, which are free of charge. The remainder of the Parking spaces belongs to the Council and costs €1.00 the hour. Free WI-FI which only functions downstairs in the Lobby. The hotel's own PC was broken and awaiting repairs.

A very helpful and polite Matteo helped with the luggage at our arrival and departure.

We are rather curious about next year's visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank TravelDocKleen11
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for the detailed comment you left on TripAdvisor. Your review is very helpful to understand where our services can still be improved.
I am very sorry you where not satisfied about the food during dinner, usually our cuisine is very much appreciated. Also at breakfast we offer a buffet with a wide variety of breads, cereals, croissants, cakes, juices, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, fresh fruit salad, etc. that has been carefully selected to satisfy the taste buds of our national and international guests but we certainly will take into consideration your points of view in order to improve our food services even more.
I apologize for the unfriendliness of some of our staff. I can assure you that as the hotel owner, good manners and politeness are an absolute priority for me in order to establish that special contact with our guests and to help make their stay with us, a memorable one.
Regarding the Wi-Fi connection, which is free for all guests, it is difficult to assure complete Wi-Fi coverage but as the available technology improves, so does our Wi-Fi coverage.

The wedding reception was an exceptional event and it was held in our restaurant. A karaoke evening at the bar was surely not in the programme and we apologize that they disturbed your after dinner while you were relaxing at the bar.

It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you again at the Savoy Palace and show you the quality of services that we are able to offer.

With warmest regards,

Grand Hotel Fasano
#3 of 19 in Gardone Riviera
Hotel Savoy Palace - TonelliHotels
Hotel Monte Baldo e Villa Acquarone
Hotel Monte Baldo e Villa Acquar...
#4 of 19 in Gardone Riviera

Been to Hotel Savoy Palace? Share your experiences!