Based on Tripadvisor recommendations, we spent 6 nights here 6-8 August 2009. It absolutely lived up to all the positive reviews.
We had the “Le Palme” apartment which was two identical adjoining rooms with a connecting door. We were 2 adults and 2 kids, 18 and 12.
What we liked most were:
The high quality of the rooms and bathrooms
The terrace outside our room
The immaculate grounds
The panoramic lake view
The very friendly and attentive service.
The small but fully equipped kitchenette
The effective air conditioning
The rolls and milk each morning
The pool was always quiet with more than enough sun loungers
Parking was always available both at the hotel and in the town (free or for a small fee)
Some things to consider:
The centre of Gardone is just a bit too far to walk (in the sun) – 20 minutes at least - so we used our car. You could equally take a taxi.
There is a bit of noise and bustle from the road below and from kids diving into the lake. It was never at a level that bothered us and after a swim, I quite enjoyed watching the comings and goings down below.
Take your insect repellant and mosquito plug in – I learned my lesson on day one and was fine thereafter.
The things I recommend doing:
Take a boat trip. We chose to take the ferry to Sirmione. There are several choices from half a day to a full day. It was so lovely to see the lake, from the lake, and enjoy the cool breeze.
Sleep late and stay up late promenading and dining in Gardone. We enjoyed live music late into the evening in the town centre – and there are more restaurants, coffee bars and ice cream parlours than we could sample in 6 days.
Finally, my number one dining tip – Restaurant Wimmer. We found generally that their portions were more generous than some other places we tried. Their fillet steak and green pepper sauce is fabulous or, for something a little lighter, their Wimmer salad served inside a sort of giant pitta bread.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Villa Florida - Suite & Suite Apartments, set in 6 hectares of olive groves and floral gardens, has been run by the Cipani family since the 1950s. All accommodations are with a balcony or terrace overlooking the lake. Guests can expect hand-painted ceilings and elegant furniture. Panoramic swimmingpools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Villa Florida reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Hotel Gardone Riviera
- Hotel Villa Florida Lake Garda/Gardone Riviera, Italy